suggestions

vance
Hello,
I have an idea for a couple of related features.

WMC allows the specification of how many recordings to keep. Unfortunately, the number jumps from "10 recordings" to "as many as possible". I would like to have some additional choices between 10 and infinity.

I would also like a way to tell WMC to keep the most recent recordings based on original air date. For example, if WMC was set to keep 10 recordings for a series and 10 recordings were already, I would want the next showing of the series to record only if the original air date was newer than any of the 10 already recorded shows. The oldest show, again based on original air date, would be deleted.

The new/rerun flag is not always set correctly otherwise I could use the show type as a way to record only the newest of the new shows. I find the original air date to be more reliable which is why I am asking for a way to that date as a way to control what is recorded. If neither variable is set correctly I will have to save enough episodes to make sure the newest show is not wiped out by reruns. 10 episodes is not enough to prevent the new episode from being cycled out and infinite episodes can result in my disk filling up.

Thanks,
Vance

Re: suggestions

Beaker1024
vance - I think years ago I read of a different program that was all about "collecting" a TV series and it basically had the full listing of seasons/episodes known like a check list and let you set records for all airing (rerun + new) and it took care of keeping just one copy of an episode (automatically deleting duplicates or preventing recording as 3rd party I forget).

Recorded TV HD already uses a database that (if complete with your title) knows the checklist for episodes.  It might be more fruitful and maybe same amount of work (I said might as I admittedly have no clue) to have such a "intelligent recording guidence" or "intelligent keeping/deleting" for a series.

Again I have not a clue how crazy this idea is and no idea how hard to implement.  Just chiming in with what I can recall.

PS - IIRC it was a paid program and this must have been years ago I saw it.

Re: suggestions

vance
Hello Beaker,
I like the idea of being able to capture an entire series. Of course that might not be practical for Law and Order or The Simpsons. RecordedHDTV has access to what year each episode belongs to so it could be possible to specify which seasons to collect.

An earlier PVR software application I used, BeyondTV, saved a list of previously recorded episodes which it retained even after the shows had been watched and deleted. It knew not to record any "recently" recorded shows. "recently" could be defined as a certain number of days, such as 60 or 90 days.

Without this feature an episode would get recorded, deleted a few days later when the maximum number of episodes for a show had been exceeded, and then recorded again in a few days when another channel rebroadcast it.

Re: suggestions

I've thought about adding some more advanced series recording management options, but haven't gotten around to working on them yet. Thank you for the suggestions.