"Fell asleep" Resume feature

Concept211
Ok, I know this sounds crazy but such a feature actually used to exist on one of my old cable DVR boxes provided by our local cable company, Bright House Networks.

It was pretty cool. So you're watching a recorded show and you're fast forwarding as usual through the commercials. But then you're like halfway through the episode and you end up falling asleep. You wake up later and realize the show had ended a while ago and it's just sitting on the episode info screen again. When you go to play the episode again, it resumes at the spot where you LAST fast forwarded! Awesome. So it picks up around the same time that you most likely fell asleep. I LOVED that feature and always wished I had something like that again in WMC.

I'm sure something like this would be totally possible for RTVHD. You'd basically save the "elapsed time" on the last skip or fast-forward (or "play" immediately after the last skip/FF). Then, if the rest of the show continues playing non-stop and there are no actions after the show is finished for let's say, 30 mins, then a new bookmark/resume markers is set for the previously saved "elapsed time".

I'm sure it's easier said than done, but I've been working with another WMC add-in in C# interfacing with the Microsoft.MediaCenter.dll hooks. I'd be glad to contribute to the project if needed. This has been one of the best add-ins I've ever used for WMC and so far my wife has been able to use it with no problems thanks to the familiar UI -- a big plus! ;)

Re: "Fell asleep" Resume feature

Sounds like a good feature! At this point I'm not planning on adding any more features to Recorded TV HD, but if you know how to write/program a WMC background addin you can monitor the current playback and watch for a jump like that. Then you can keep it in memory, and say, if the last big jump is more than a certain percentage from the end, overwrite the resume text file located here:
C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\database\bookmarks
or here:
C:\ProgramData\RecordedTVHD\database\bookmarks

I can't remember how I programmed it at the moment, you might also have to write that info to the database. It's a sqlite database and wouldn't be that hard to do if you know what you're doing.

Re: "Fell asleep" Resume feature

Concept211
Ah, that's too bad that you're not planning to develop the app any further. I'd rather it be part of RTVHD to keep it all within a single process rather than having yet another add-in running in the background just to do what RTVHD already has access to.

Yeah, I'm sure you saved the bookmark to your database. The external file-based bookmarks sounds like a secondary thing you added strictly to allow other external RTVHD clients on the network to share the same bookmarks. Then again, maybe not because if the external client updates the text files, then the main client would need to update its own DB which would be based on the text files. So it should be happening automatically. I guess it's something to test manually before implementing.

I've mentioned it earlier on another post, but if you have no plans to continue the development it would be great to share the source with us to continue adding to it. Just a thought ;)

thanks!