duplicate manager

welchwerks
Hi,

i have a request, with the family pack i fing i record duplicate shows from multiple and htpc's they get moved to the WHS for RTVHD to find and display, is there a way to delete duplicate shows on the server automatically so RTVHD doesnt show them in its list.   http://www.fjdrasch.com/WHS/home.htm  recorded tv software for WHS V1 had such a thing that when it saw dups in the recorded tv folder it deleted them

seams ill have to tell the wife not to record the same shows i do as they all get sent to the server recorded tv folder    lol

Re: duplicate manager

cebalaw
I have a similiar issue regarding duplicates. Not sure exactly why I get duplicate recordings (only one PC records for me, with 4 tuners). I suspect it may be because I occasionally move files around multiple drives. Is it possible once they are moved WMC doesn't recognize they already exist (I don't change the names)? Not sure if its WMC or RecordedTV, but would be nice to have logic somewhere to recognize if a show exists before recording. Otherwise, I would agree another option in the "more options" drop-down for removing duplicates within in season or entire series would be nice (maybe a choice of which to retain, e.g. longest).

While I'm here, another request... I noticed sorting by original air date does not always sort by episode number. Is this an option that may be considered?

Re: duplicate manager

TheMayor
There is an Episode number sort.  You would have to enable to it on the menu though.

Re: duplicate manager

TheMayor
This would be nice, as it would help keep the duplicates clean & not to also mention, help keep the drive clean, so a show you don't want deleted, gets deleted..

The only challenge would be how to create settings.  I assume it probably would be pretty to say delete the Analog or HD version (if the show records in both)

The one challenge I could see is how to tell it, which file of the duplicates to delete, & which one to keep.  For example,

I have mine setup to start 3 min early & end 3 min late.  I have some that says recorded 32 min, some that say recorded 30 min, & some that say recorded 36 min.  I would want to set it so it would delete the 30 min, 32 min & not the 36 min.

Update:

I gave this a little thought & think probably the easiest way to maybe implement a delete duplicate feature is to possibly add delete capibilities from the Interface on the computer (lets say under the "Episodes Override" section).  Possibly have it act like Excel where You can sort & tag files & hit a button to delete & RTVHD would delete those files,  Probably would need to implement a password section or at least on the delete button