copy protect flag

Ken62465
I've recently upgraded my SSD via a cloning process and have discovered the obvious...wasn't so obvious when I was performing the clone...that any recording with the copy protect flag is throwing an error that it can only be played on the computer it was recorded to.  Is there any work around known for this?  Looks like I'm tossing out about 30% of my recording...bummer.  I do still have the original drive with files still intact if it makes a difference.  Would converting the files to mkv rid the copy protect flag?

Re: copy protect flag

From what I understand any new OS install is going to make your copy protected content useless. You aren't going to be able to convert copy protected content either. If you still have the old Windows drive you can boot up to that OS (assuming you didn't do anything to delete Windows) and watch the content, but there is no way to preserve it through to another install of Windows.

Re: copy protect flag

Ken62465
ya that's what I figured. It's not worth the hassle it creates so to the trash they'll go.

Re: copy protect flag

glugglug
Are you sure it was the SSD upgrade that caused this?

I upgraded from an 80GB Intel X-25M to a 240GB Agility 2 with copy protected recordings intact.

Upgrading RAM, however, broke DRM.   The rules MS uses to determine what constitutes a "new machine" are very sketchy.