XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

ceashure
I'm experiencing slow initial loading and slow very UI responsiveness from XBox. I don't mind the initial loading, it's the unresponsive UI that really bothers me. Almost unusable. The connection is a solid 80Mbps. Only the Recorded TV HD is slow on the extender. I've seen it suggested to go into the settings and turn off backdrop downloads / display, but then that pretty much defeats the purpose of purchasing the app. Am I out of luck? Any other tips & tricks to get this to work?

Re: XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

I've only seen a few people say this and I have never seen it in my home or in my testing. My Xbox 360 performs pretty much identical (from what I can see) to my HTPC.

Do you have any other Xbox 360's you could test out? Could you move your Xbox and plug it directly into your switch or router that your HTPC is plugged into (so you can rule out any cabling, etc.)? You could try removing the extender using the extenders option on the HTPC settings in Media Center.

Re: XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

ceashure
I will give that a shot.

Re: XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

ceashure
I think I will just leave my Backdrops turned off. Is there a way to disable backdrops on extenders only?

Re: XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

Not really if you want to use the poster or list theme. You could use the Media Center theme or the Metro theme on the extenders since those don't use backdrops the the same degree.

Re: XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

carljanderson
ceashure wrote
I think I will just leave my Backdrops turned off. Is there a way to disable backdrops on extenders only?
did the changing of the theme work? I just moved the 360 into a room where it can be used as an extender, trying to replace a Echo, but may have to go back to Echo. On the Echo, it was fine. On the 360, it is slow. Same cabling as the echo.

Re: XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

royfripple
I know this is an old thread at this point but I wanted to chime in that I've had all of the exact same problems as well.  I haven't tried turning off backdrops or anything as that's a big part of the point of RTV HD.

I do have a second xbox being used as an extender and I don't think it's *quite* as bad but it's still pretty slow.  It's definitely something with the extenders as navigating the interface on the main machine is very quick.

Re: XBox 360 WMC Extender - Extremely Slow UI

ceashure
Yes, it's still been a problem. Another problem I have is that the service consumes 1.5 GB of ram. Along side the 2 GB that WMC runs during playback...This unfortunately results in ram filling up, swap being used and getting "network issues" popups often as a result windows not being able to keep up with streaming speed due to reading from HHD swap instead of RAM.

Can the services' code please be updated to clean up its ram use while a video is being played (unload main screen posters)? It looks like the service is loading ALL the movie/tv posters into ram and not doing any optimizations (IE lazy loading/unloading)?

Just introducing lazy loading (load posters as they are visible on screen), and optimized unloading of the offscreen posters would probably make this a 5 star app. Would probably speed up the initialization too, as it doesn't have to load everything in ram on start.