Windows 8.1

MLaF
Nooooooooooo!!!! I've been anxiously waiting to upgrade to 8.1, and now I can't because 3rd party plugins are broken... Damnit.

Is this for sure the case, or are there any workarounds?

Re: Windows 8.1

There are no workarounds... just have to wait on Microsoft.

Here is a thread at My Movies forum about the same thing: http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=35083

Re: Windows 8.1

glugglug
Upgrade to Windows 7?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I gave up on trying to get 8/8.1 to work on a brand new system after 3 weeks, for reasons other than RecordedTV HD.

Plugins are broken... extender support is broken (in 8.1 even the XBOX 360 has trouble!)... RDP from Mac/Linux  is broken... USB on recent Intel chipsets is broken.... in 8.1 Digital Cable Advisor is broken....  the UI is terrible until you install StartIsBack or similar... I'm really not seeing any upside.  OK better file copy/move in explorer and 3D printing support.  Big deal.

In 7, things just work.

Re: Windows 8.1

MLaF
I actually like it, but I have a coworker who can't stand it as his HTPC because he keeps getting random issues. I understand why people are going back to 7, but as of now, I'm still looking forward to 8.1.

I'm also one of the 3 or 4 people that don't mind the new start screen instead of the menu, though... so take what I say with a grain of salt... haha. But I do like Windows 7 as well.

I also don't use extenders, so that might save me some of the headache. It is sad to see it sucking this bad for most people.

Either way, to stay on topic, it's disappointing that Microsoft is pretty much done with Media Center. Especially since it's the only one that can decrypt Copy Once channels. I wonder what are the chances of Media Center even being around in version 9 of Windows.

Re: Windows 8.1

Just in case you didn't see the email blast....
see here for an update

Re: Windows 8.1

MLaF
Just got it. Great news! Thanks for the heads up.