Where does season and episode data come from?

Where does season and episode data come from?

tradetek
So... I spent quite a bit of time overriding a bunch of season and episode metadata that was wrong... and the update to 1.7 reset it all, which caused me to also realize that it probably is not getting updated in the file metadata but just in an internal application database and therefore not available to other machines that monitor the same network drive (can't confirm because I hadn't realized this before the wipeout happened)

So the I started looking for a way to edit the metadata in the wtv files directly and struck out, but also looked at the thetvdb.com and see that the season and episode metadata there looks correct which causes me to wonder what the app is using for the definitive source on metadata?

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

The Season and Episode numbers do come from thetvdb.com. The Recorded TV HD Service tries to match up the episode title and the original air date with the data from thetvdb.com and grabs the season and episode numbers from there.

Please give me some details as to the series name, episode title, and original air dates for the ones you are having problems with and I will debug it in my code and see what I can find.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

tradetek
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78804&seasonid=372611&id=3283321&lid=7

Is an example. I checked the original air date and it matches. For some reason it shows up as season 0 episode 38.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

I see why. Season 0 (specials) episode 38 aired on the same day as Season 6 Episode 13 did. I first check for the original air date and since it checks in chronological order it found Season 0 Episode 38 first.

I'll see if I can alter it to be more accurate.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

tradetek
Thanks, that also explains why some episodes are showing up with the same episode number, because they were two-part season finalies that showed on the same date but should have different episode numbers. I've been seeing this for a couple of shows that I record, but I'm not mass recording them to watch from the beginning so it hasn't been an issue.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

Beartlaoi
Heres one example of a show that airs two or three episodes a day:
Undercover Boss: Abroad  http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=256034&seasonid=484981&lid=7

Perhaps you could go ahead and match both date and episode name as a first try and only if that fails then just use date.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

Please try this version out. You will have to move the recordings out of a watched directory so that they will be removed from the database and then move them back in.

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSetup-PossibleFixes.msi

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

Beartlaoi
Looks much better but there is one anomoly.
from the Undercover Boss: Abroad example I see that episode 16 Viridor was misidentified as 14.

Can we turn on debug logging for this?

Also can you make the columns sortable in the Episodes Override tab in the settings app?

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

My first thought would be that the episode title didn't match exactly. If there was a typo in either the title on TheTVDB.com or in the metadata pulled from the WTV and they didn't match it will pull the first episode on TheTVDB.com that has the same broadcast date.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

Beartlaoi
I had the same thought, even though the episode name looks identical, maybe one of them has an extra space on the end or something else that I cannot see.  Another possibility maybe there was some kind of system or network glitch right when that check was made.  I would like to know either way.

Can we turn on a debug log for this?

Also can we make the columns in the episode editor sortable so we can see this easier?

Perhaps somehow having a filter to only show the duplicate episodes so we can find them easier and fix them.

Maybe if there are any issues in episode identification then attach a log of the issues to the episode so we can pull it up, maybe also have a retry button in case the reason for problem was temporary.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

miimura
I'm having this problem with Phineas and Ferb.  I have a bunch of episodes showing up as S0 E2.  The problem may be that the data in TheTVdb lists the episodes singly, while the programs are aired in pairs - sometimes even paired differently from one showing to another.  However, they always do that and most of the time RTVHD does the right thing.  For example:
S0 E2 Thanks But No Thanks; Troy Story
Those are actually S4 E23 and S4 E24 according to TheTVdb.

How do I fix this?  I'm running 1.9.5 on Win7.

Also, I'm getting a lot of duplicate recordings.  This is probably a Media Center issue, not RTVHD, but I thought I'd ask here anyway.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

I'm not really seeing any reason why it is doing that... as you suspected the reason is because the title in the guide data is different from the title on TheTVDB... but it should be able to match it by the original air date... not sure why it isn't doing that properly unless the original air date on the guide data is different than TheTVDB as well.

You can manually edit the season and episode numbers in the settings.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

miimura
This post was updated on .
How do episode overrides work with a family license?  I have RTVHD installed on three machines in my house.  Can I sync the changes to all the machines, or make all machines look at one database?  It doesn't look like this happens automatically.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

Currently the only thing you can share is the resume/bookmark data. I'll give it some thought and see what I can do in the future with better sharing between PCs. Thanks.

Re: Where does season and episode data come from?

Beaker1024
I have been sucessfull in coping the entire RecordedHDTV folder in the C:\User\ Public AppDir from one PC to another.  Obviously not useful for minor changes but I find it helps out to do initial setups of Filter Lists, Series Overides, etc... and be able to get the major work copied.

Not sure if this is technically sound or something MJT would advise doing.  Just thought I'd share.