WMC blue border around background image

bdf128
Just a minor issue to a great product -The recorded TV HD menu is not filling my entire screen in WMC. I have a blue border (from the WMC default background) around the background image for all recorded tv. Is there a way to expand this to fill the entire screen? When watching recorded TV the image is correctly displayed without a border.

Re: WMC blue border around background image

Is this on the HTPC or extender?  If it is HTPC it sounds like a setting issue with overscan.... You can checkout this article and play with the different settings to see if it fixes it.  You may have to close Media Center and open it back up for the setting changes to take full effect... I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/missing-remote-tips-and-tweaks-2-preventing-sneaky-tv-overscan-windows-7-media-center

Re: WMC blue border around background image

bdf128
The issue was for both my HTPC and extender (xbox 360).  I had stumbled upon a similar article several months back and used the 'television' option to eliminate overscan, which I had done.  A side effect was that the WMC controls were offset from the edges of the screen.

I saw in the user comments of your link that someone suggested a registry edit on the margins to push the controls back to the margin.  I incorporated the registry edit and not only did it push the controls back out to the edge of the screen it also fixed my blue border issue as well.  Thanks for the help!

I pasted the registry changes below which did the trick.

6 weeks ago by NitDawg...

To push the UI elements back out to the corners after getting rid of overscan, you can modify the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings]

"marginLeft"=dword:00000000

"marginTop"=dword:00000000

"marginRight"=dword:00000000

"marginBottom"=dword:00000000

"marginSaved"=dword:00000001

"useDefaultOverscanMargins"=dword:00000000

All this does is move the UI elements back to the corners.

Re: WMC blue border around background image

arolson101
This happens if you use the Setup TV thing and set it to a TV (CRT?) rather than a Monitor/Flatscreen/etc

Re: WMC blue border around background image

bdf128
I had already configured WM7 using the "Television" option to eliminate overscan.  Video was displayed correctly without overscan issues.  You can see at the missingremote link above that the WM7 buttons should be offset from the edges when correctly configured.

What fixed the blue border issue for me was tweaking the registry borders.  If eliminated the blue border and pushed the buttons to the edge of the screen.

Re: WMC blue border around background image

SJMaye
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: WMC blue border around background image

I would try that first... and if that doesn't work then try the registry changes or the other "TV" options that Media Center gives you in the settings.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: WMC blue border around background image

kmanus
I'm experiencing the same problem.  I have a DLP, and setting WMC to "Television" makes everything fit nicely, and video looks much better than when I select "Flat-Panel" or Monitor.

After doing so however, Media Browser and Recorded TV HD started showing the WMC background on the sides.  Media Browser had built in controls for me to adjust this, and that worked splendidly.  I couldn't find similar controls in Recorded TV HD though.  Is there any way we could adjust this?  I would rather not switch from using "Television" because it scales video perfectly to my screen (video has looked noticeably better since switching) and nothing is cut off.  I could try the registry tweaks listed, but I'd rather do it on a per app basis (like I did with Media Browser) so I don't screw with other programs.

Otherwise, thanks for a great product!

Re: WMC blue border around background image

At this point I don't have any settings for a user to manually adjust the border issue except for the checkbox in the settings program to shrink it (for those with the problem of it being cut off).

At some point fairly soon I'm going to begin working on getting most/all of the settings for Recorded TV HD inside of Media Center instead of having an external program.  I was planning on adding the scaling adjustment settings as you described on a per HTPC/extender basis.

I have no idea how long it will be, but just wanted to let you know that I plan to start working on that fairly soon.

Re: WMC blue border around background image

kmanus
Sounds good and thanks for the quick reply.  I'll figure something out until then....