Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

12
eht

Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

eht
I've notice that recently, the time it takes (when you either delete a show or press the "back" buton) to return back to the main Recorded TV HD page (where all the cover art is shown) is quite long (3-10 seconds).

It appears it has worsened over time but I'm not sure it due to the fact I have a lot more recorded shows and cover art listed then when I first started using it. It is getting so bad that I keep hitting the "back" button a 2nd time thinking that it take the 1st time and then it backs me out to the main Media Center menu.

I'm using the Beta v1.7.19 paid version with a Xbox 360 extender and 1 Ceton Echo Extender.

Does the Recorded TV HD program have to re-list all the cover art and that is why it takes so long? Is there a setting to have this in a memory cache to speed things up?

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

I'll look into caching the artwork. That is a good idea. Thank you.

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

FYI ... I just looked into it and it looks like Media Center may already cache the images automatically. I don't know for sure though. I did do a quick little test and I can't see any performance gain in caching the images on my own. I will keep looking for things to increase performance.
eht

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

eht
This issue is getting way worse since I have more recorded shows and cover art.

I just updated a video showing how slow it is. It takes 18 seconds after I press delete for it to get completely to the main menu! That is unacceptable in my opinion. My family doesn't use your app anymore because of this. There is no slowness when using the standard Recorded TV interface.

The link to the video is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDzF3sO8PQQ

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

I completely agree with you. I wouldn't use it if it was that slow either. I have a few questions just to try to diagnose:

1. I'm curious how many series you have under the "date recorded" header that you are on in the video.
2. I'm assuming this is on the extender, does it have the same slowness on the HTPC when doing the same thing?
3. This may seem odd, but can you try the poster view instead of the media center like view and see if it does the same thing?

This definitely needs to be fixed. I've never seen it this slow and I thought I would have had all kinds of complaints if more people have this problem. I'm curious to find out what is going on. Thanks.

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

spaceboy
i see exactly this. i would say it regularly takes 2s to return to the main menu, up to 10s even if the CPU is only running at 50%. its been like this from the beginning and i'm pretty sure i described in in my earlier problem reports but the way you responded made me think it was expected. i regularly end up hitting back twice because i think its not working and i end up in the main WMC menu.

since i'm here i'm going to report two other continuing issues which i just thought everyone suffered from:

when skipping around in the file (not much, maybe just pressing ffwd 3 or 4 times) i get the blue background for WMC coming up and there is nothing i can do to get rid of it with the remote. nothing. the only way i can get it to disappear is to get the mouse out and hope that the green orb is available in the top left of the screen. if its there i can get back to the main menu. if its not, and its probably a 50% chance either way, then the only option is to end WMC's task.

when RTVHD is on screen and the video is playing in the background the audio is fine but the video becomes choppy, jumps around and generally makes me feel a bit ill. it didn't used to do that, but on earlier versions it didn't used to have the video in the background on full screen. to be honest i'd prefer the option to choose between the normal backdrops and the now playing media because the video is completely unwatchable at present.

possibly these should be moved to their own thread but i have mentioned them both before, i think, and there didn't seem to be much interest.

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

chrisdfw
I have stopped using the deleat fuction in Recorded TV HD. I am seeing the same issue.

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

Issue of the blue screen... From your description I believe this is something to do with the commercial break viewer. It seems randomly this happens for random people. It does happen to me sometimes and I have yet to find a way to fix it completely, although at one time I believe I did make it happen less of then.

My video also becomes choppy when I use the video as the full screen background. I think it has to do with how powerful your video card is... I've been thinking about changing it back to just the window.

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

chrisdfw, When you say you are seeing the same issue are you saying that it is still extremely slow just going back? Or are you using the recycle feature?

eht, I would like to have you try turning on the recycle bin and then just putting the setting really low so it either will not keep any recordings in recycle or it will only keep one. The recycle feature has the service delete the files after the total recycle bin size gets over a certain point. I'm curious if your slowdown is because of the Recorded TV HD Media Center addin doing the deleting.
eht

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

eht
I'm a little busy right now. I will try to answer your questions later this week.

I am trying it with a 5GB recycle bin. It does come back faster ,but I get a pause for a few seconds randomly after it comes back to the main screen. I do have a 3TB drive with 5-600 items could be a delay reading the files?

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

chrisdfw
I deleted a bunch of items and then like always it stops updating and I need to restart the service.
I get bunch of these

Could not find file 'D:\Recorded TV\Hardball With Chris Matthews_MNBCHD_2013_02_18_15_58_00.wtv'.

and then this
Parameter is not valid.   at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)
   at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream)
   at RecordedTVHDService.Service1.GetArtwork(String imageUrl, String SaveArtworkPath) - imageUrl = http://thetvdb.com/banners/_cache/seasons/72368-10.jpg - SaveArtworkPathC:\

Log Name:      Application
Source:        RecordedTVHDService
Date:          2/19/2013 7:10:53 AM

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.   at System.Data.SQLite.UnsafeNativeMethods.sqlite3_column_type(IntPtr stmt, Int32 index)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.ColumnAffinity(SQLiteStatement stmt, Int32 index)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.IsNull(SQLiteStatement stmt, Int32 index)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.GetValue(SQLiteStatement stmt, Int32 index, SQLiteType typ)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.GetValues(Object[] values)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DataReaderContainer.CommonLanguageSubsetDataReader.GetValues(Object[] values)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.SchemaMapping.LoadDataRow()
   at System.Data.Common.DataAdapter.FillLoadDataRow(SchemaMapping mapping)
   at System.Data.Common.DataAdapter.FillFromReader(DataSet dataset, DataTable datatable, String srcTable, DataReaderContainer dataReader, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, DataColumn parentChapterColumn, Object parentChapterValue)
   at System.Data.Common.DataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable, IDataReader dataReader, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet)
   at RecordedTVHDService.Service1.CheckFileAndAddMetadata(String FilePath, SQLiteConnection sql_con)
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="RecordedTVHDService" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <EventRecordID>2816649</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>ChrisAmes-MC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.   at System.Data.SQLite.UnsafeNativeMethods.sqlite3_column_type(IntPtr stmt, Int32 index)
[...]
   at RecordedTVHDService.Service1.CheckFileAndAddMetadata(String FilePath, SQLiteConnection sql_con)</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

eht

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

eht

1. I'm curious how many series you have under the "date recorded" header that you are on in the video.
Right now I have 38 series listed
2. I'm assuming this is on the extender, does it have the same slowness on the HTPC when doing the same thing?
Yes, this is on a Xbox 360 extender with max network performance (using then Media Center network tuner). It is faster on the HTPC but still slow, about 8-10 secs to get back to the main menu.
Tried poster view on the extender and no change in performance.
eht

I just enabled the recycle bin with a 5GB limit. I will let you know if this helps.
eht

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

eht
Well, turning on the recycle bin w/the 5GB limit had zero effect. It still takes about 15-18 seconds to return to the main menu after deleting a show. In fact, it takes quite long (~10 seconds) whenever I go to the main menu from just navigating within the Media Center/Recorded TV HD interface.

I'm also having the following issues:
- Frequent "lock-ups" where the screen is just frozen within Recorded TV HD. I typically quit the Media Center (extender) interface by going to the Xbox home screen and pressing the green button again to reload Media Center. I typically wait about 1 minute before doing this.
- Loss of connection between the Extender and the Media Center PC. I've been using Media Center with Windows 7 for about 2 years and never had any extenders lose connection until I installed the Recorded TV HD last month. This occurs about 2-3X/week.
- I get the following error messages:
1)  "PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING  The Recorded TV HD program has stopped responding and you be returned to Windows Media Center". This happens about 3-4X/per week.
2) "PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING  The Recorded TV HD program does not appear to be responding. You may lose infomation if yo close this program and return to Windows Media Center. Are you sure you want to close it?". This just happened 3 days ago for the 1st time.

Needless to say, I'm not happy with Recorded TV HD. I love the interface but it's way too buggy.

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

I honestly have no idea why you are having these problems and I am sorry about them. I'll continue to look into what might be causing them.
eht

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

eht
Update:
- I have the Ceton Extender and have no issues when returning to the main Recorded TV HD page. The Ceton has other issues which I won't elaborate here.

- This issue is only on the Xbox 360. For the 360,  the time it takes to return to the main screen is directly proportional to the amount of recorded content. When I had about 1.5tb of recorded content, it would take about 15-18 seconds to return to the main screen. As I started deleting content, the times were getting lower. I now about 800gb of content and the times are around 4-5 seconds.

So please test out your software on a Xbox 360 extender with 1.5tb or more of recorded content and you will be able to recreate this issue. As hard drive prices are getting cheaper, the potential of more users with the same issue will increase over time.

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

I have a 360 and a Echo both connected with gigabit. I have not experienced what you are saying. Is your 360 running on Ethernet like your Echo?

eht

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

eht
I have all extenders going to a 10/100 switch along with the media center pc. When I use the network performance tuner, the graph is at the max data rate.

I have a 2TB hard drive and the times to return to the main menu start to increase as the hard drive is getting full aloof with more cover art.

So have you tested your software with about 50 different programs (i.e., cover art ) with multiple episodes using between 1.5TB to 2TB of data?
eht

Re: Very, very, slow returning to the main Recorded TV HD page (with cover art)

eht
BTW, if I switch the theme to List View, I do not have the issue. So it appears the issue is when all the cover art is displayed (Media Center Like or Poster View - 2 rows).

So I'm thinking the Xbox 360 extender is bogging down when there is lots of cover art.

Are you sure the Xbox 360 is caching the cover art?

12