I think it does that when for some reason the recording was cut short due to a power failure or some type of file corruption, which gives a 0 minute file length when I check it for metadata.
1) Try converting it to a dvr-ms file to try to fix the corruption. You can do this by right-clicking on the file and selecting that option. After the conversion Recorded TV HD "should" identify the dvr-ms file properly based on the metadata.
I converted one of the non protected shows.
This dint fix it.
I opened the recorded TV HD settings and the blue bar just kept going from left to right and never stopped.
So I stopped and started the service, now everything is ok.
Should I schedule a stop and start every 24 hours?
How can I help collect logs to see where I got stuck (I noticed the event log has multiple could conn t o network location, then a few mins later it said it could)
I've had the same thing happen with a non-protected recording (*.wtv file) in the recent week that went unidentified and I thought we missed the recording. Thanks for adding the unidentified header but I wanted to let you know it's happening to others with just normal *.wtv recordings. The episode was from the same series that hasn't had an issue before and I didn't have a power outage (everything on UPSs). I can't inspect the file as it has been watched and deleted already, sorry.
I'm also wondering if a script on task scheduler to start / stop services would be useful.
I've had more and more WTV recorded files be unidentified now. Still on *.24 aplha and I like the unidentified new header. Some suggestions/issues:
1) Can you have it so the files in unidentified when played from there have the bookmark *.txt file to allow for resume like identified files do?
2) Recorded WTV files are becoming more and more often not identified correctly. I even did the "ID file" through the unidentified header for the movie "Tangled" and it renamed the file. Five days later and several start/stops of the RHDTV service it's still not identified correctly. It is of zero lenght (min) in metadata but when played is correct length and plays fine.
I think something is not right with WMC when it's writing WTV files with 0 minutes, etc... but I also think RHDTV is having an issue as it doesn't complete the process when manually ID'd.
The "0" minute length recordings are strange. I can tell you that they did not have a power outage or stop short at all. When played the progress bar is perfectly fine. Actually everything is fine with the recording (and the metadata in the "Properties" of the file).
My biggest problem is shows that are in massive reruns and I record all (say new kids show my son just started liking). They don't get identified randomly (about half do and half don't) but you can't use the recorded date to match the "Identify" features original air date. Only way to do it is to open properties on the *.wtv file and read the episodes title (which is correct) and then scroll through the identify listing of episodes reading the file names till you see the match.
This is very tedious. What I would hope for is a way that the *.wtv files metadata (I mean in the files "Properties" --> "Details" --> "Media" section --> Episode name) information could be used even when the file shows 0 minutes and doesn't have the "Date" (I guess date recorded) file property correct.
It's strange that these two parameters that aren't needed for correct identification could be holding up a recording being identified when all the information is in the file properties correctly.
That's the story on the TV show episodes. I have no clue at all why "Tangled" the movie isn't being put in with images when I used the manually identify feature, the *.properties file was created and the program said wait. After a week and several start/stops its still listed as unidentified.
I'm not as concerned with the movies as they are much easier to identify manually and are one offs. The show episodes especially the kids reruns are a hassle. The "How it's made" series is another series unidentified episodes are a hassle to correctly assign when recording reruns.
I decided to do some screen captures to show how strange the miss-identification is. As you can see the Unidentified section knows it was originally aired Dec 23, 2003. The file properties has all the episode names and such. The recording is standard def not HD so the file size being small is correct. I have tested the recording and found no errors of any kind. The play duration is correct for the progress bar.
If you still would like a copy of the file (or other similar) we could work something out via PM (do we have private message on this forum?). I'm will to assist as I can. I have other instances of *.wtv files having correct and enough info in their "properties" but not being identified.
Let me know if that fixes the identification of the 0 length files. It should mark them as 1 minute. After you play the file it should fix the length to what Media Center sees as the length.
Also, are you doing the automatic updates? This is on the alpha track. I just started having an issue with the automatic update on my dev machine where it will fail (it looks like it is because the service exe isn't ending fast enough). If you are doing the automatic updates please let me know if it succeeds or fails for you.
I'm trying to do the update (alpha) via the automatic MCE interface (as I have for a while now) to test as you requested. Unfortunately it's been 15 min and I'm only at 75% download....
OK installed fine through the MCE interface with the automatic update. Verified in the Settings within the MCE Recorded TV HD interface (down, down, wrench) as *.27. Just waiting on the background service to do it's thing as it's rebuild time!