Unidentified WTV files?

Scyto
Recorded TV didn't recognize last Sundays dexter episode, even though there is data for it.  Took me ages to realize the recording actually happend but was invisible!

I manually mapped the file in the recorded TV HD MCE UI, it looks like it changed the name of the file and still didn't recognize.

1) how can I fix?
2) please can we have an option of unrecognized episodes in UI as an episode grouping in title view?

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

I think it does that when for some reason the recording was cut short due to a power failure or some type of file corruption, which gives a 0 minute file length when I check it for metadata.

1) Try converting it to a dvr-ms file to try to fix the corruption. You can do this by right-clicking on the file and selecting that option. After the conversion Recorded TV HD "should" identify the dvr-ms file properly based on the metadata.

2) The latest version that I have does have the option for an unidentified files on the top header options: http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/alpha/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Scyto
Thanks found the option for Unidentified, means I am running latest alpha.
I see 15 unidentified episodes:

Fringe x3
Homeland
Big Bang theory
Colbert report x2
Daily show x2
Top gear x2
The hour x2

There is no convert option I can see on Win8

The details pain of the file seems to have a full set of metadata including length.

What next :-)

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

The option to convert to dvr-ms is there for me on Windows 8. See the screenshot below.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Scyto
Dunno, not on mine.
Did you upgrade or fresh install?
Did you install any tools that could have add that like dvrms toolbox?

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Scyto
Ah choosing a default program of media center adds the option.
But it won't convert as dexter is protected.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Ok. Forgot about protection.... When you play it through the unidentified section does it show the correct duration on the progress bar?

When I get the chance I'll create a quick tool to do a metadata dump and see if that is even the problem.

One thing I forgot to ask... did you try rebooting or restarting the Recorded TV HD Service to make sure it just didn't get stuck or something? Just want to make sure I rule out something easy.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Scyto
I converted one of the non protected shows.
This dint fix it.
I opened the recorded TV HD settings and the blue bar just kept going from left to right and never stopped.
So I stopped and started the service, now everything is ok.

Should I schedule a stop and start every 24 hours?
How can I help collect logs to see where I got stuck (I noticed the event log has multiple could conn t o network location, then a few mins later it said it could)

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Beaker1024
I've had the same thing happen with a non-protected recording (*.wtv file) in the recent week that went unidentified and I thought we missed the recording.  Thanks for adding the unidentified header but I wanted to let you know it's happening to others with just normal *.wtv recordings.  The episode was from the same series that hasn't had an issue before and I didn't have a power outage (everything on UPSs).  I can't inspect the file as it has been watched and deleted already, sorry.

I'm also wondering if a script on task scheduler to start / stop services would be useful.

EDIT: I am using the current Alpha (*.24)

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Beaker1024
I've had more and more WTV recorded files be unidentified now.  Still on *.24 aplha and I like the unidentified new header.  Some suggestions/issues:

1) Can you have it so the files in unidentified when played from there have the bookmark *.txt file to allow for resume like identified files do?

2) Recorded WTV files are becoming more and more often not identified correctly.  I even did the "ID file" through the unidentified header for the movie "Tangled" and it renamed the file.  Five days later and several start/stops of the RHDTV service it's still not identified correctly.  It is of zero lenght (min) in metadata but when played is correct length and plays fine.

I think something is not right with WMC when it's writing WTV files with 0 minutes, etc... but I also think RHDTV is having an issue as it doesn't complete the process when manually ID'd.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

1) I can probably do that.

2) The zero length is the problem. Even if you manually identify it, since it is a WTV file, it isn't going to work properly. Let me look into how I can figure out a way around this.

Thanks.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Beaker1024,

Do you know of any way to reproduce a file with a zero length in minutes? I'd like to get that sorted out, but not sure how since I don't have any recordings like that.

I suppose you could upload it somewhere for me to download, but that could take a really long time :)

Thanks.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Beaker1024
The "0" minute length recordings are strange.  I can tell you that they did not have a power outage or stop short at all.  When played the progress bar is perfectly fine.  Actually everything is fine with the recording (and the metadata in the "Properties" of the file).

My biggest problem is shows that are in massive reruns and I record all (say new kids show my son just started liking).   They don't get identified randomly (about half do and half don't) but you can't use the recorded date to match the "Identify" features original air date.   Only way to do it is to open properties on the *.wtv file and read the episodes title (which is correct) and then scroll through the identify listing of episodes reading the file names till you see the match.

This is very tedious.  What I would hope for is a way that the *.wtv files metadata (I mean in the files "Properties" --> "Details" --> "Media" section --> Episode name) information could be used even when the file shows 0 minutes and doesn't have the "Date" (I guess date recorded) file property correct.

It's strange that these two parameters that aren't needed for correct identification could be holding up a recording being identified when all the information is in the file properties correctly.

That's the story on the TV show episodes.  I have no clue at all why "Tangled" the movie isn't being put in with images when I used the manually identify feature, the *.properties file was created and the program said wait.  After a week and several start/stops its still listed as unidentified.

I'm not as concerned with the movies as they are much easier to identify manually and are one offs.  The show episodes especially the kids reruns are a hassle.  The "How it's made" series is another series unidentified episodes are a hassle to correctly assign when recording reruns.

I decided to do some screen captures to show how strange the miss-identification is.  As you can see the Unidentified section knows it was originally aired Dec 23, 2003.  The file properties has all the episode names and such.  The recording is standard def not HD so the file size being small is correct.  I have tested the recording and found no errors of any kind.  The play duration is correct for the progress bar.

Example Unidentified File Properties

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Beaker1024
If you still would like a copy of the file (or other similar) we could work something out via PM (do we have private message on this forum?).  I'm will to assist as I can.  I have other instances of *.wtv files having correct and enough info in their "properties" but not being identified.

Thanks again for looking into this!

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Please try out the latest version here:

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/alpha/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

Let me know if that fixes the identification of the 0 length files. It should mark them as 1 minute. After you play the file it should fix the length to what Media Center sees as the length.

Also, are you doing the automatic updates? This is on the alpha track. I just started having an issue with the automatic update on my dev machine where it will fail (it looks like it is because the service exe isn't ending fast enough). If you are doing the automatic updates please let me know if it succeeds or fails for you.

Thanks.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

For some reason there was no email notification for my last post. I'm just posting this to make sure there is a notification and that you see the post above.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Beaker1024
This post was updated on .
I'm trying to do the update (alpha) via the automatic MCE interface (as I have for a while now) to test as you requested.  Unfortunately it's been 15 min and I'm only at 75% download....

OK installed fine through the MCE interface with the automatic update.  Verified in the Settings within the MCE Recorded TV HD interface (down, down, wrench) as *.27.  Just waiting on the background service to do it's thing as it's rebuild time!

Thanks for the new alpha.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Sorry. I'm looking into the speed problem with my hosting provider.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Beaker1024
Holy cow!

What a huge improvement!  You just may have solved the 0 min duration but rest of metadata *.wtv file not identifying bug!

Only unidentified I have left after maybe an hour is some *.avi files that I might have to redo the filenames (things I expect and aren't a hassle)...

But definitely no *.wtv hanging around unidentified at all!!!!  I mean zero missed *.wtv recordings!

Also the *.wtv file (movie) that I had manually identified (created *.properties) that wouldn't get off the unidentifed list for a week now is perfectly fine now too!

PS Once again automatic update worked fine for my *.27 install this afternoon.

EDIT - Forget to officially say "Thank you" once again for your continued work on this software!  It's greatly appreciated.

Re: Unidentified WTV files?

Great! I had no way to test it, but I was hoping it would work!