Thumbnails

Bayway
Just curious, in Recorded TV HD, why do some shows have thumbnails , some not ??

In media center's own  recorded tv, all shows have thunbnails..

Thanks Webb

Re: Thumbnails

First the program checks and see if thetvdb.com has a thumbnail for that episode.  If it doesn't it tries to pull the thumbnail that Media Center's recorded tv library uses.

The reason why there isn't always a thumbnail there is because that thumbnail doesn't get generated unless you open Media Center's recorded tv library.

At one point I looked into generating the thumbnail myself by pulling a frame out of the WTV but it was more difficult than I anticipated and I didn't want to spend too much time on it when I had more important things to do.

I'll probably look into it again.... just not sure when.

Re: Thumbnails

Bayway
I understand that you have to open Windows Recorded TV  to generate a thumbnail.
All of mine have thumbnails in recorded tv , but not in Recorded TV Hd. I noticed you have an option
in  the configuration to check for artwork once a month , would this be when your thumbs are generated?

Thanks Webb

Re: Thumbnails

The "check for new artwork once a month" is for backdrops and posters...

The check for thumbnails is supposed to take place every 12 minutes or so... Not sure why they wouldn't be pulling it if the thumbnails are in the native recorded tv library.  I'll have to look into it.

Re: Thumbnails

Bayway
Any news on the thumbnail issue... uninstalled and reinstalled , no success,
All thumbs show up in recorded tv not recorded tv hd...I have over 600 recorded tv shows on windows
home server v1

No problems other than this

Thanks Webb

Re: Thumbnails

Haven't had much of a chance yet... I just got back from a long vacation and I was catching up on my day job...

One quick question... When you say they all show up in native TV library, which view are you looking at?  If you are sorting by title then it groups the series and it won't generate all the thumbnails.  I just want to make sure that when you say all you really mean all .

I'll take a look at my code again and see if anything sticks out.

Re: Thumbnails

Nevermind... I've got the same issue on mine.  I'll let you know when I figure out what's going on.

Thanks for the bug report.

Re: Thumbnails

Ok... I'm almost positive I found the issue.  It seems to work correctly for me now.  Try out the latest beta and let me know if that fixes the problem for you:

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

Re: Thumbnails

Bayway
Yes, all thumbs are showing up now  !!!!!
Only problem I have now is one show says there are 37 recordings , but
when you enter the show only about 12  will show up.(There are 37 )
I notice in the config settings, the show that has the problem has 3 entries.
one MCID is GenericSeriesname of show,, the other 2 are MCSeriesnumberxxx
with 2 different #s...   This is probably a "TV guide/ Media Center" issue .
This show does works ok in media center recorded tv...
What is Generic vs MC Series MCID?

Hope this makes sense,, brain dead after a bad day!!!

Thanks Webb

Re: Thumbnails

Ok. I know what is going on with the wrong number of episodes.  I just have to find the best way to fix it. I'll post back when I think I've got a solution.

Re: Thumbnails

we7313
Just wanted to add, That i'm glad to find this thread.  These are the 2 things I noticed were issues on my system as well.  I'm considering purchasing the entire house license!

Thanks for the great app.

Re: Thumbnails

Ok.... As I originally programmed this I thought about different series that may have the same name such as Hawaii Five-0 which is why I have it use the MCID (media center id).  In my recent testing it seems like this isn't working the way I intended it and it looks like this is causing the problems.  I can't think of any way to fix it besides ignoring the MCID and only grouping by the series name only.  I can't imagine there will be that many people affected by this.

I have to go through and change a bunch of code... once I have a beta ready I'll post here.

Re: Thumbnails

we7313
Do you have any other meta data available besides Series Name?
Maybe original air date?  If so you could group by Name and Original Air Date.

This would give you:

Hawaii Five-0 (1959)
Hawaii Five-0 (2010)
Hawaii Five-0 (2011)

Another idea would be to allow users to group multiple MCID's and create a parent ID.
Any shows under the children MCID's would be grouped together under the parent ID.

Re: Thumbnails

Ok... I think I've fixed the issue so the missing episodes will actually show up in a second entry of the Series Name (because they have different MCID's).

I have added an option to combine Series when it finds other series with the same name.  So to combine them you would go into the series override tab in the settings program and go into the edit screen for one that is a duplicate.  You will get an option to combine it there.

Please try out the beta when you get a chance:
http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

This also fixes the issue where there are different series with the same name as they will both show up now in the list. (I do not have an original release year, but it should be pretty easy to distinguish based on the backdrop).

Re: Thumbnails

Bayway
This update fixed my issues  !!!  This gave me all shows under 3 entries with same show name
(see above). Then used config to combine the 3 shows.   Now all shows show up under 1 entry
in REC TV HD... Now if there was a way to "Touch" the wtv files to generate the thumbs automatically !!
Also there is no undo ,, just thinking preemptively !!!!

Thanks for the work ,, enjoying the software!
 Webb