Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled

SmoochiesBoss
This started happening about a month ago with a clean installation. I'm not sure what is different now versus on the old installation. Every single screenshot of TV recorded since the install is scrambled whereas movies (all MKVs) and older recorded TV saved from the previous installation are fine. Any ideas?

Re: Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled

Odd... Recorded TV HD uses Andy Van Til's DSSnap.exe from here: http://babgvant.com/files/folders/misc/entry8759.aspx

It would seem that something is off with your install of Windows since it simply uses Windows' DirectShow API to grab the thumbnail. Not really sure what you can do to fix it.

Just make sure your thumbnail jpg files actually look like that by going to: C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\Thumbs

Re: Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled

SmoochiesBoss
Yep. That's what they look like in the Thumbs directory.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM, MJT Software [via Recorded TV HD Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Odd... Recorded TV HD uses Andy Van Til's DSSnap.exe from here: http://babgvant.com/files/folders/misc/entry8759.aspx

It would seem that something is off with your install of Windows since it simply uses Windows' DirectShow API to grab the thumbnail. Not really sure what you can do to fix it.

Just make sure your thumbnail jpg files actually look like that by going to: C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\Thumbs

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Thumbnails-screenshots-scrambled-tp5708973p5708974.html
To unsubscribe from Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled, click here.
NAML

Re: Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled

Percy
It appears I have the same problem but I do have an idea what may have caused it.

I did a clean install of Windows 7 so a clean install of recorded tv HD.

Everything was fine and then I imported a series of MKVs and that all worked fine with screenshots etc.

But when I tried to play one it didn't work, of course I hadn't updated my codecs, so I installed the shark codec pack, and since then I get the same as the above.

Now to be honest I am not to bothered about the screen shots and I am happy to deactivate them if its easier, I would rather have nothing there than a scrambled screenshot.

Hope this helps.

Re: Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled

IT Troll
It is best to avoid installing codecs packs altogether. You don't actually need any codecs to playback MKVs. The only real problem you have is that Windows doesn’t understand the Matroska (MKV) file format which is a container for other video and audio standards. Typically, MKV video is encoded using H.264 which Windows can already decode natively. Here is my guide for minimalists.

Step 1 - Install a media splitter

A media splitter splits out the MKV container file into the separate media streams which Windows can then decode using its built-in capability. There are a number of splitters available but I use Haali Media Splitter which has worked faultlessly for me for many years.

1.3 MB installer.
haali.su/mkv/

Step 2 - Register MKV file types

Even though Windows will now be able to play MKVs, Media Player and Media Center are not configured to include MKVs in their video library. Therefore some very minimal registry settings are required to include MKVs.

For 32-bit Windows they are:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mkv"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\MLS\Extensions]
"mkv"="video"
For 64-bit Windows they are:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/mkv"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\MLS\Extensions]
"mkv"="video"
Alternatively the attached registry file includes settings for both 32-bit and 64-bit, as a one size fits all, fire and forget registry import.
WMP_MKV.reg

Step 3 – AC3 and DTS Sound Decoding (OPTIONAL)

Media Center does not decode AC3 or DTS sound and so will simply pass these through to your AV equipment. If your TV or surround sound system supports these formats then that is probably exactly what you want it to do. Therefore you do not need to install anything else.

However if your TV does not support AC3 or DTS then you will not get any sound. In this case installing AC3Filter will perform real time on-the-fly audio conversion for you; e.g. down mixing DTS to simple stereo.

2.5 MB Installer
www.ac3filter.net/wiki/AC3Filter

Advantages

By following this guide you will have made the minimum amount of changes to your system. Furthermore you will know exactly what has been installed and that it can be easily reversed.

Disadvantages

Unfortunately, this method does not allow you to view any subtitles which are included as separate streams within the MKV. Media Center simply doesn’t provide an interface for choosing and enabling separate subtitles associated with video files. I workaround this by either hardcoding subtitles into the video when required or reverting to using VLC Media Player as a last resort.

Re: Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled

linknet
This post was updated on .
I was having this problem with the Shark Codec Pack and found a solution by first selecting the recommended settings checkbox and then, on the H264/5 tab, set codec used in DirectShow Players to Microsoft codec (default) H264 and not LAV H265.

This cured the corrupted thumbnails and everything else still appears to work.

Re: Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled

SmoochiesBoss
Is there a way to turn off screenshots?? I don't need them and still have the scrambled ones on most files.

Re: Thumbnails/screenshots scrambled

Sorry for the late response. You could rename the following file that is used to create the thumbnail, but you'll get a ton of event viewer entries:

C:\Program Files (x86)\RecordedTVHD\DSSnap.exe