Ten-foot Interface

PhilKat
The concept of a 10 foot interface is that a person with normal vision can EASILY read it on a normal TV from a distance of 10 feet.

While evaluating RTVHD we have been using the Media Center theme. That theme is fine.

We decided to try the theme with a background image last night.  Very nice.  However, we had to switch back after looking at it a very short time.  The problem?  The information is simply not large enough for a 10 foot interface, unless you have a gargantuan TV. We have normal vision. We have a 40-inch TV we watch from about 9 feet. In that theme, the information on the side panel is so small we have to get up and move closer to read it without straining our eyes.

There is no problem with real estate. The information barely covers half the vertical size of the screen. Why so small?

Looked high and low for a setting to enlarge the type.  Can't find one.

Re: Ten-foot Interface

PhilKat
After writing the above, I actually measured the distance as 12 feet.  My error.  I guess what I need is a 12 foot interface.

Still.  The WMC interface is perfectly legible throughout.  Some of your themes are not.  Hopefully, you might consider making type sizes similar to WMC available.  Just saying...

Re: Ten-foot Interface

Surprisingly I haven't found any easy way to change font size programatically.... but I just thought about using scaling. I'll see if there is anyway to scale it without messing up the interface. Thanks.

Re: Ten-foot Interface

PhilKat
Sorry, been away for a week.

I haven't previously looked at the WMC API.  Took a few minutes a while ago to do so. On MSDN it says presentation is done using a markup language called MCML, which has tags ala XML.  Isn't that what you are using?  "Font" appears to be an available attribute.

My reference

Re: Ten-foot Interface

Yes. It is, but it isn't as easy as it seems. I'll see what I can do when I get some time. Thanks.

Re: Ten-foot Interface

You will be happy to know that I've added an option in the latest beta (under appearance options) to increase the font size. Please try it out.

Latest beta info and download