Support for recordings from DVB Link

spaceboy
Hi, Long time user of rtvhd looking at using the dvblink recorder over the inbuilt MC7 recorder as i am implementing a xbmc installation alongside MC7 to support my use of raspberry pi's as clients.

DVB Link recorder seems to name the files:

S04E16-The_Middle-1530_20130525-7-11550000-1369492200

and

The_Chefs_Protege-1300_20130525-3-13630000-1369483200

as examples. The SxxEyy data for The Middle is correct but RTVHD doesn't seem to be able to interpret this. The other recording is correctly named per thetvdb but again isn't recognised by RTVHD. There's no other metadata so i can see for non SxxEyy recordings RTVHD will struggle to recognise them (unless they are perhaps recorded at the date listed on thetvdb? not sure if this is possible?).

Is there anything that can be done to improve this or do i need to lobby DVBLink for an alteration to their file naming convention, which i agree isnt great?

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

Yeah, that would be difficult to work with. You might want to reach out to them to see if there is either a way to customize the naming convention or if they keep a database with the metadata stored in it that is accessible in some way.

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

spaceboy
there is a database for recordings which appears to contain some metadata as it appears in WMC and XBMC associated with the recording. unfortunately i think its less useful than the file name as in WMC / XBMC when you view the recording you get no episode title or SxxEyy data.

Can i supply a copy of my db to see if it helps?

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

spaceboy
details of the api to access the database http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18004

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

spaceboy
any thoughts? is it possible or should i look for an alternate solution? not pushing for the solution, just to determine whether xbmc and wmc can live in harmony?

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

After a quick glance the api looked like it was more for the recording end and not identification of files that were already recorded. I'll see if I can take a look sometime. Do you think you could send the database file over? If it is Sqlite, that would be extremely easy since that is what I'm used to... I have no idea what they are using though because I haven't really looked into it.

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

spaceboy
yep, i think you are spot on. i think its the epg db. here is a copy https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39548367/dlrecorder.db . the only data i see in xbmc is the series title and an episode description but not much else helpful.

it seems to me that it would still be easier to read the file naming convention if possible. I'm surprised that neither of the examples i provided can be interpreted, but i am absolutely no expert

cheers

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

Looks like it is an SQLite database. That is good news! It looks like you've recorded (or maybe just still have) 5 recordings through DVB and it provides all the metadata I need.

Where is the database stored by default? If I know that I can program to read from that if it exists. Also, does it always record in the .ts file type or are their other options?

Just curious... why would it be beneficial to record with this instead of Media Center?

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

spaceboy
This post was updated on .
hurrah! sounds about right on the recordings.

the db is located at c:\users\public\documents\dvblink\dlrecorder.db it seems to stay there even if i move where the recordings are located. always .ts

its not really that its a better recorder, its that dvblink works with many clients, mce is only one. as we don't have the echo in the UK (and it doesn't sound great anyway!) i'm using xbmc on some raspberry pi's as quite cheap alternatives. MCE is still marginally better than xbmc for live and recorded tv so i still want to use mce on my main htpc. this change will allow me to pool all recordings on the htpc.

then i just need a version of your app on xbmc. fancy that?

edit, i should have added: i need to use a viewing card for channel decryption, dvblink does this

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

NickR
Did this ever go anywhere? i'm also using dvblink to record from multiple sources so it would be great if they could be presented in RTVHD....

Re: Support for recordings from DVB Link

spaceboy
i don't think so, i don't believe either the developer of this or the developer of dvblink wanted to make any changes to accommodate the other, which is shame but typical of the wmc situation.

I am actually heading towards replacing wmc and therefore this with MediaBrowser which is developing at an astounding rate. As soon as live tv is available in their windows client app MediaBrowser Theatre (will be available to chromecast from the server to the client at next server update, i would expect live tv in the client within a couple of months) then for me wmc is history in terms of client. i shall continue to use it as a recording server through server WMC, which can act as a backend to MediaBrowser and XBMC, until mediabrowser connect directly to dvblink as a backend and then WMC is gone for good. i would gladly get rid of dvblink as the developer of that is very lazy and rude but its the only backend with support for CI cards