Slow performance across wireless

techbri
We have our media center in our home office so it can double as a computer and we experience media center on our TVs over xBox 360 extenders. In one room, I am using a cable over ethernet solution in one room and a wireless bridge in another room. The wireless bridge is very fast and allows me to stream 1080i live TV from the cable provider without any buffering issues. The cable to ethernet solution is fast as well and I believe can push up to the 100Mbps limit of the xBox 360 nic.

I am seeing very slow performance when navigating through the app from the wireless connected computer. If I use list view with the poster/backdrop option, there is a delay of a few seconds to scroll the list and the background data is delayed in loading. Is there anything that can be done to optimize the plug-in so it loads faster over wifi/etc? As mentioned, I can watch live or recorded TV in 1080i from the media center on the xBox and there is no lag/pause so the connection is obviously pretty fast.

Re: Slow performance across wireless

Do you have any experience with Media Browser?  I've heard/seen many people have issues with loading backdrops in Media Browser as well and I'm wondering if you would have the same issues you are having now with your setup using Media Browser as well.

There is an intentional delay when using extenders between when a series is hovered over and when the backdrop loads.  This helps speed up scrolling, but I see you are having issues with scrolling as well?  There is a hidden setting to change the backdrop load delay.  Let me know if you are interested.

Re: Slow performance across wireless

techbri
Thanks for the quick reply. I have not used Media Browser. Just some background information, I used Media Center back in 2008 and at that time, did not use extenders as I was also using MCE Movies to aggregate content on a Windows Home Server. I abandoned that project due to some issues with the cable cards available then and used another DVR product.

I decided to go back to Media Center in the summer of 2011 and use extenders as the cable card tuners have come a long way and I have been happy with the solution. I still have all of our movie content in iTunes and use other hardware to watch it as the extender codec support is limited and I really didn't want to re-encode 300+ movies.

I would definitely like to experiment with adjusting the backdrop delay and see if I can find a compromise between responsive scrolling and the backdrop load delay.

Brian

Re: Slow performance across wireless

If you would like to adjust the backdrop delay add the following line in the [Settings] section of C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\GlobalSettings.ini

ExtenderBackdropDelay=500

(The default is 800 milliseconds... you can change it to whatever you want)

Re: Slow performance across wireless

techbri
Thanks. I actually found this setting in another thread on the forum last night and tried it. I think it actually made the issue worse but didn't try different values other than 500. One thing I did do was to stay with the list view and remove backdrops and posters. It seemed to scroll faster although it's not pretty anymore without the artwork.