Series recordings broken

Ken62465
OK this is something I think I brought upon myself but can not fix the issue. A month or so ago I experimented with the idea of converting my recordings to .mkv because file size shrinks something wicked without quality loss.  Well at first I ended up with the one recording I converted in it's own series separate from the other wtv files of the same series.  In other words it showed two instances of the same series.  I had to go into the Recorded TV HD settings and merge the two series.  That worked but now each week when a new show gets recorded it creates yet another instance of the series and makes a completely different show disappear as if it's taking it's place.  Oddly even the icon that tells you the number of shows will say something like "18" but go in and all that's there is one episode that just recorded.  The thing is I know the missing series of another show had "18" recordings in it.  Again I have to go into the settings and merge the two.  That fixes it and returns the other missing show/series to now show up.  How can I fix this so each week I do not have to merge it all over again?  Rebuild the database somehow?

I believe this was self inflicted because the one show/recording I experimented on is the show/series causing the problem when a new recording is added.  I also removed the mkv version and put back the original wtv file of the show until this is all sorted out, but that was awhile ago when I did this.

Re: Series recordings broken

Sorry for the trouble:

Question: After removing the mkv does it still mess up with every new recording?

It is definitely fixable. If you'd like I can login to your machine to fix it more quickly. If so please send an email to support@recordedtvhd.com and I'll give you some instructions.

Re: Series recordings broken

Ken62465
ohh I removed that mkv within a day after testing the whole thing and that was two months back.  I put the project on hold because I was also researching commercial skip and didn't want this choice impacting that one.  Even though the nkv was removed and original wtv put back it messes up every single week it does this one shows recording.  It's real weird but since it's the very show I experimented on I have to assume I triggered it...or some freak coincidence.

I'm all for letting you log into my machine but would it be better to wait until the issue happens again next week?  I already did this weeks merge after it broke again.  Not sure if this step matters but all is fine right now until next Wednesday evening.  Then I'll even see two of the same series in the settings but right now you won't see it.

BTW, family absolutely could not live without Recorded TV HD...do not abandon the software please...ever :-)

Re: Series recordings broken

Ken62465
I bet I know what happened.  The very first time I did the merge with the mkv series I bet the series became based on that mkv so each time a real recording in wtv format happens it expects the series to be of one ID etc and a match is not found so it creates a new instance...then break another show also in the process.  This is my guess...babbling also cause I'm bored.

Re: Series recordings broken

I just sent you an email. Combining is supposed to avoid that but if you've somehow combined them both ways it may be confused

Re: Series recordings broken

Ken62465
got the email and thanks...I'll give it a try.  One thing I do know is when I would go into the series overrides I would see two identical lines for the same series and only difference between them was the MCID column.  One has the show name in that column and the other entry has "!MCSeries!" then a bunch of numbers.  I wonder if it is because I merged them in the wrong way?

Lets just say I did this mess again.  Is there an order in how you should merge them...which should be the primary...the one with the shows name in the MCID column?  So I'd merge the other goofy "!MCSeries!" with it?  Honestly what's the difference between these two series identifications?  In other words I'm not sure what that MCID column is telling me and what it might mean.

I'm toying with the idea of converting all my recordings to mkv.  I read of the naming convention so I have to watch for that but wonder what's the best method to do it so I don't get things a mess.  I'm wondering if I should tackle one series complete at a time and move all the wtv files temporarily out so when ready I move all the mkv version of the series in.  That way I'd never get a mix and match set of files for the same series and hopefully avoid this from happening again.  I'm sure this happening was my own fault in not knowing enough about the merge order..if that's what did it.

Re: Series recordings broken

MCID is a Media Center ID used for different series/recordings. I use that as an identifier because there is the chance of having 2 different series with the same name.

Technically you should be able to go either direction, but I would click on the series with just the series name in the MCID first, go to edit series, and then combine it with the one with the odd looking MCID.

Re: Series recordings broken

Ken62465
ok then I'm thinking this works backwards from your explanation.  If I do your method will the end result be that I see !MCSeries!??? in the MCID afterwards?  It seems whenever that column does not contain that is when the problem arises.  All other series have !MCSeries!??? in that column but this one.

Re: Series recordings broken

Yes. You want it to have the strange looking MCID.

You can make a backup of the database at C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\database\.....  So if you do it wrong the first time you can revert. I would stop the service before backing up and restoring.

Re: Series recordings broken

Ken62465
ok I think I just found a new way to fix this.  Saw this in another thread here somewhere so I gave it a try.  The suggestion was to move all the recordings for the series out of the default folder to a safe place...I did...then I went back into RTVHD and verified all recordings were removed...closed WMC completely...then moved all recordings for the series back to default folder location...went back into RTVHD and they were back and had no double listing for that one series.  When I opened up the RTVHD settings the Series Override page now shows !MCSeries!??? in the MCID column and not the shows name anymore.  I suspect this is now fixed and when the new recording is created in wtv format it will match the MCID and I won't get another series instance, nor break that other show that it was doing.

This all sound right?

Now because of this learning experience I want to rethink how I might tackle converting these to mkv for the massive reduction mkv container has over wtv files.  That experiment I did a month or so back I went from 6.5gb for the single episode HD recording to almost 2gb.  I multiply that but the number of recordings and the savings is huge.  I did this to all my VOB rips and nearly gained another 1TB in space.  I'm thinking it's best to do a full series at a time and move the suckers to a safe place and perform the conversion there...good idea?  I think this problem came about because I had an mkv and wtv type recordings of the same series in the folder so another instance of the series showed up in RTVHD.  Also I think that when we delete an episode of a series that was once merged the merge settings written to the .ini file are not removed, so effectively my deleting the mkv months ago had no impact on a cure because the ini entries still existed. I just wonder if I do this temp moving of all the episodes that the MCID will still end up different because of the mkv's...because when a new recording gets made in wtv format it will get an MCID and now be different.  Unless....real important question coming.  When RTVHD performs a folder check for new recordings does this happen only when you go into the program or does it happen at any time on like a timer to scan the folder?  Reason I ask is because I can setup DVRMSToolbox to convert the wtv files to mkv and if I can get that process done before RTVHD does it's folder scan/check I might beat the clock on this issue.

What exactly does RTVHD compare that determines if a series is a match to another...the MCID?  Why not just the TVDBID?  That seemed to be a match even when I had the broken series so to me if it used that ID it would have been a match.  The MCID seems to change if you have different file extensions.  I'd like all my episodes of the same series in one series regardless what the file extension is but from what I'm seeing this won't happen if we have some wtv and some mkv.  Well they can be merged but after my venture with it I want to avoid that process because things get broken doing so.

Re: Series recordings broken

You should be good to go now.

Recorded TV HD will lookup the MCID if it finds an exact match of the series name no matter what the file type. But the usual culprit for the double listing is if you have a file of another type before you have an actual recording.

Just be aware when converting to mkv that currently the file naming conventions have to be correct and the episodes have to be in thetvdb.com database to be identified.

Re: Series recordings broken

Ken62465
interesting because I swear when I created the mkv I had a number of other episodes in that series but the mkv got a new series name and the MCID was not the typical name I've seen used for the normal wtv recording.  It was just the shows name.  I'd have to retest it and something tells me I'll be doing that pretty soon because at 6-10gb per recording space is going to get eaten up so the keepers I'm thinking to convert.

Thanks for all your help in this matter.  I'll let ya know next week once a new recording takes place for that particular series if it's fixed.

Re: Series recordings broken

You can also go into the RTVHD Settings in Media Center and then go to the option about missing artwork, uncheck the box about only showing series with recordings and the press clear or delete key when hovering over the extra copy of the series. (Technically you can delete both of them and within 10 minutes they will all be identified again. )

That will make sure any new files don't accidentally find the old series entry and use that instead.

Re: Series recordings broken

Ken62465
Thanks for the that last tip.  I'll do that also and report back on tonights recording....should be good now.

Re: Series recordings broken

Ken62465
Just to report back that everything done worked like a champ.  No more broken series with each new recording.  It's grouped with the series as expected.  Thanks for all the help fixing this issue!