Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

pezboy
I would love to see a feature that would allow to lock certain files from deletion from within the RTH interface.  My daughter is just learning how to use the remote and I would like to remove or lock the 'delete' feature from  her shows that I have archived. Any way to do this? Thanks again for the killer app.

Re: Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

TheMayor
By chance, is your archive folder on the same computer or on another one?

One thing to look at is folder security, where you can select which users will be allowed to delete something from a particular folder & which ones will not be able to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/122666-permissions-allow-deny-users-groups.html

Re: Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

pezboy
Thanks for the input, but my HTPC is set up as a media server and I stream everything out to extenders around my house, so unfortunately if I change the user permissions of the extender it will render the delete feature completely useless. I just want to try to make it a little harder for my 4 year old to delete a file than just clicking the down arrow and hitting OK a few times. I realize I could also use the 'recycle instead of delete' feature, but that isn't very wife friendly, as it requires going into the RTH interface on the HTPC to restore.

Re: Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
MJT,

I have an interest in this as well but with additional functionality.

To protect my archived videos that I include within the RTVHD interface (intermixed with WTV recordings), I currently disable the Delete function altogether... and I just tell my family that I'll mass-delete recordings when we get close to running out of disk space.

I'd like to see a few Delete-related options added to RTVHD:
** The ability to set specific recordings to "Archive Mode" (aka undeletable).  I would use this for specific movies but it could be used for any recording.
** The ability to set specific series to "Archive Mode".
** The ability to set specific directories to "Archive Mode".
** The ability to set specific directories and their subdirectories to "Archive Mode".
** The ability to toggle the Delete option on and off for non-"Archive Mode" recordings/series/directories without having to use the external Recorded TV HD Settings program.  But "Archive Mode" recordings still shouldn't be deleted even if Delete is toggled on.

If possible, "Archive Mode" should also protect from WMC auto-deletion settings (e.g. if a series is accidentally set to only keep 10 episodes at a time and more than that gets recorded).  This would be a nice-to-have additional option though.

An "Archive Mode" that works as outlined in the bullet points would keep my four-year-old (and my wife for that matter) from accidentally deleting my archived recordings.  Thanks, MJT.

MoRBiD

Re: Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

Thank you all for the feature request. I'll see what I can do.

Re: Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

I've implemented a protection mechanism so you can prevent accidental deletions.

There is an option to protect a series or a single video. This will only prevent from accidental deletions through the Recorded TV HD interface. It doesn't make them undeletable.

Please try it out and let me know how it works for you.

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/alpha/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

Re: Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

pezboy
Thanks MJT, you rock! This is exactly what is was looking for.

I have 2 additional requests in regard to the functionality of this feature (not sure if either possible, but figured I'd ask):

1. As much as I appreciate the 'episode' and 'series' level functionality, is it possible to add the same functionality at the 'favorites list' level? i.e. mark an entire favorites list as protected?

2. Is it possible to add the 'lock' icon to the list view (much like the 'watched' indicator but with the 'lock' icon instead) to make it easier to see when a series or episode is protected rather than having to go into the series or episode detail to see it's protected status?

Again, thanks for such an awesome program and for such great support. I can't think of any other program that adds such great features that also has a forum where the end user can communicate directly with the developer. Kudos to you for doing such a great job and listening to all of our input and suggestions and actually responding to and implementing them.

Re: Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

sccrgoalie1
Just wanted to say thanks for implementing this.  This is the one feature I've been missing!

Re: Selective Delete feature (delete lock)

TheMayor
I've updated to the latest alpha (1.7.28) & can't find the settings for this.  Either in the WMC interface, or the separate interface

Edit:  I found it.  Didn't think to scroll over to the actions section

Thanks