Repeated Crashes - Won't Install Properly

Repeated Crashes - Won't Install Properly

demaximis
Hi.  I recently tried to install this service on my HTPC, and when I did, it immediately started crashing after either a few minutes, or a few button presses.  It kept throwing up an "Invalid Application" error in WMC.  I tried disabling the commercial skip marking, as I had seen a few forum messages about it adding instability, but that did not help.  I thought that perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling might help, so I tried that.  However, every time I reinstalled (I tried this a few times), I get a "Service Error" dialog box, saying "Invalid string value in StrToByteArray". And, then it continues to crash.

I would love to get this working in a stable manner - I love the interface, and would gladly pay for this service.  However, I had to uninstall it because it kept crashing.  Is there something that I am doing wrong in the installation (or uninstallation)?  I'd appreciate the help, as this looks like a fantastic addition to WMC.

Thanks in advance

Re: Repeated Crashes - Won't Install Properly

carljanderson
I get the same error when I try to re-install.

I wonder which Windows Update broke RTVHD's install? (if I had to guess)..

Re: Repeated Crashes - Won't Install Properly

I'll try to look when I get the chance. I just tested on a fresh machine and have the same problem. My guess is a Windows Update as well.

Re: Repeated Crashes - Won't Install Properly

Alright, what fixed it for me was to manually add and watch directories instead of having it watch the directories that Media Center uses. I did that in the Recorded TV HD Settings program outside of Media Center. Let me know if that fixes it or not for you.

Re: Repeated Crashes - Won't Install Properly

carljanderson
After many days of travel I was finally able to spend some time with my HTPC, and I was able to re-install RTVHD w/o the Svc error, after I renamed the original RTVHD directory in C:\Users\Public\. I first downloaded a bunch of Windows Updates.

Didn't solve my other issue. Will update that thread.