Recycle Bin - Behavior (Recorded TV Folder on WHS2011)

Recycle Bin - Behavior (Recorded TV Folder on WHS2011)

Beaker1024
Well I turned on using recycle bin right away as I thought it was a good idea.  I loved using RecordedTVHD to see duplicates easy and deleted/Recycled duplicates.  So I thought why not empty the recycle bin.

I can't find the folder on my WHS2011 server (Recycle Bin *.ryc file are present though in folder with *.wtv files).  So I thought I'd try the RTVHD settings UI outside MCE and restore a file (just to test).  I get an error:

Error with: \\WHS2011\Recorded TV\Manual Recording_G4_2012_08_29_20_03_00.wtv - Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\RecordedTVHD\Recycle Bin' is denied.

I also can't seem to find the "empty" recycle bin button.

At this point I would like to simply turn off the recycle bin feature and make sure the *.wtv files I "recycled" are actually deleted for good.  Delete the *.ryc files and move forward.  Basically I'd like to clean up and move on until I hear of a settings/update to this feature that I missed.

EDIT: I feel silly I see the *.ryc file isn't a note to where the *.wtv was moved, etc... it's just a new empty file as a marker and the *.wtv is still there in the same folder.  So "Recycling" just puts a "Tag" file for your program to see.

Ok So I can delete the *.wtv that have corresponding *.wtv.ryc files and I'm done.  Still got the error message that RTVHD can't accesss that "C:\Program Files (x86)\RecordedTVHD\Recycle Bin" folder.

I'm going to hold tight till I hear how to clean this up though and fix up my files later.

Re: Recycle Bin - Behavior (Recorded TV Folder on WHS2011)

Thanks for reporting the bug with the restore option in the external settings program. I changed how the recycle bin worked between versions and I must not have updated the external settings app or I didn't fully test it. I will look into this asap.

You can restore items from the recycle bin using the settings inside of Recorded TV HD in Media Center for now if you'd like. I know that works.

I don't have an "empty recycle bin" option. Thank you for the request.

Re: Recycle Bin - Behavior (Recorded TV Folder on WHS2011)

Beaker1024
THanks for the quick response.  Glad I can post something useful.  I really wanted to have the "empty recycle bin" option as I am first using RTVHD and the UI in MCE well RTVHD (internal UI) made it so easy to see dupilcates that I would like to reclaim the hard drive space.

Plus later on I might want to be able to reclaim hard drive space by deleting shows my son outgrows.  Right now my Recorded TV folder is a 2TB Hard drive but most everything is now HD shows so even 30 min kids shows eat up space.

It would be a neat low priority feature if you could have a nice loooking internal UI page showing your hard drive space left/used (avg recording size & # shows you have room for based on avg recording size).  If you want to get fancy you can do avg 30 min and 1hr show size and # of each lenght shows you have room to record for.  Thinking table for the avg size/remaing # shows space left.  Thinking pie or horizontal bar graph on the overall hard drive space remaining.