Recording Storage Pooling feedback

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
MJT,

Regarding the Recording Storage Pooling:

It's a shame that WMC didn't natively include this functionality.  This was one of the biggest drawbacks when I stopped using Beyond TV and started using WMC.  (I had to abort using Beyond TV because it didn't support the Ceton InfiniTV tuner.)

After a few months, I found WMC Recording Storage Pooler v1.1.0 by ExDeus.  I was very appreciative when this tool re-added the functionality that I had in Beyond TV.  I used this tool until the same functionality was integrated into RTVHD v1.7.7.  Since both programs did the same thing, it didn't make sense to keep ExDeus' tool any longer.

With the Recording Storage Pool functionality being an add-in to WMC, I've run into these limitations using both pooling tools:
 ** On RTVHD's View & Manage Scheduled Recordings screen, I don't know for sure when I'll be out of recording space because (I think) it appears to only see the free space in the recording directory that RTVHD is currently pointing WMC to.
 ** In the RemotePotato app on the Videos tab under the Recorded TV option, the Recorded TV GUI only displays the recordings in the recording directory that RTVHD is currently pointing WMC to.  I realize that this is an issue that I need to pursue with the RemotePotato app's developer, but if RTVHD had the Recording Storage Pool data stored in its own XML file or something similar, it would give that app's developer somewhere to point his app so the Recorded TV GUI displays recordings from the entire pool.

If these two limitations were addressed, it would help me to better manage and playback my recordings.  Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns.

MoRBiD

Re: Recording Storage Pooling feedback

I used to use Beyond TV as well and I enjoyed the pooling as well.

1. The free space remaining issue could be a problem. I plan on implementing some sort of warning system when space is running low. Just haven't done it yet and am not sure which way I'm going to implement it.

2. I just saw that Remote Potato went open source yesterday, but I didn't really look much into it yet. Instead of using just the default recording location it should look at the watched directories for tv... which is in Media Center's registry settings

Re: Recording Storage Pooling feedback

MalibuDave42
A Recorded TV HD newbie question -- To ensure I am clear, I am successfully using Windows Media Center Recording Storage Pooler by exdeus (found at WMC Recording Storage Pooler ).  My Media Libraries are set to the same directories WMCRSP is recording to.  Are you discussing adding this functionality to Recorded TV HD? Does the current version of Recorded TV HD align all of the series recorded across 'N' drives?  Thanks

Re: Recording Storage Pooling feedback

The Recording Storage Pooling in Recorded TV HD (working fine in the beta version) essentially does the same thing as the tool by exdeus. So if you would use it in Recorded TV HD you should remove exdeus' tool.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "align all of the series..."

The option doesn't move any files, but sets the default recording location based on the available storage space just like exdeus' tool.

Re: Recording Storage Pooling feedback

MalibuDave42
I did not know you had already added Pooling to RTVHD -- see a newbie question :-)

By "align" I mean, e.g. the show Fringe is a series. The WTV files live in 4 different locations (my pooling and Media Library drive/directories). When I see them via RTVHD they will be associated as one series with multiple episodes. Fanart will all work uniformly as if all of the files live in one directory as MCE intended. Correct?

Re: Recording Storage Pooling feedback

Yes, Recorded TV HD will basically make it so you really don't know and don't care where the file is located. Everything shows up in one place as you would hope and expect.