Been using this software on several systems for the last two years or so - EXCELLENT software, by the way.
My current problem is as such:
Been doing some work on the file server - migrated my library to the new file store and updated RecordedTVHD to look at the new location. RecordedTVHD began updating it's database - and I left the system to do it's work for about 4 hours.
Upon returning - I launched WMC and opened RTVHD to play some movies. I found that performance was schizophrenic. Often times launching immediately - and hanging - or simply crashing WMC in general. Remember - at this point, the database was done updating. All of the episodes were present in RTVHD - and nothing in the Unidentified category.
When I investigated the disk and network traffic on my file server (Win Server 2012) - I found that the client PC was reading 4-6 movies off the disk while I was trying to play a TV episode - causing playback to stutter. Once I stopped the RTVHD service, the extra connections ceased. There's no antivirus on that PC - either. Resource monitor reports "SYSTEM" and PID 4 as the process accessing the file.
The only files I saw it accessing were movies - no TV shows. All of the aforementioned movies being accessed were already in the DB.
The problem client is running on Windows 8 Professional (bleh) with WMC over home WIFI (which is why it's so sensitive to network congestion)
Still working on isolating it further - I'll check to see what version of the client I'm running on and if there's an update.
Yes - I was able to consistently reproduce the issue. Stopping the service stopped the thrashing (reading the same movie files over and over) - starting the service starts it all over again. Mind you - when I start the service, the progress bar dances like it's updating the DB. Eventually it will subside - only to start again a few minutes later (no dancing progress bar). This occurs even after reboots/power cycles.
My installation is well over a year old, and I'm sure there's tons of cruft in my DB. So I did a backup and installed from scratch (including that beta settings exe). I wiped out the entirety of RecordedHDTV in my Public user directory and forced it to start from scratch.
I'll let you know how that goes.
(One other thing to note (that I fixed, but didn't see any change in behavior) was that the bookmarks directory was being pointed to a location that no longer existed on my filestore. The only thing I noticed was that it wasn't recording the last played timestamp.)
1. Found disk errors on my file server - pulled the suspect disk. (I think this was causing some latency issues - and sporadic behavior).
2. The files on my server were recovered from a failed/failing disk. The application likely did a bit-level reconstruction which means that the resulting file could be different than the original copy I had previously.
2. I found that many of my MKV files over 4gb (mainly movies) were not playing correctly, even on the file server itself. Copying them to a new file location didn't help - nor did a repair of the container. Playing the file is fine - but scrubbing ahead will cause the system to lock up. Likely a biproduct of the file recovery I did.
3. The MKV files being scanned over and over were corrupt like I mentioned before. I'm guessing that RecordedTV was attempting to scan ahead in the file for a thumbnail and causing things to explode.