Recorded TVHD Crashing

12

Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
Hey,

I have an ongoing problem with the application crashing occasionally when i try to return from a tv episode to the "recorded by date" screen. i don't have series grouped. live tv goes on for a while in the background but then the sound breaks up and i see the windows media center has stopped working window and then it restarts. it only happens infrequently, just but before then it mus be 7-10 days ago, problem is it seems the affect the recording service as any in progress stop and restart, which is not satisfactory.

i see hundreds of errors in the logs about not being able to connect to the tvdb but i have seen on other threads this is not a concern. there are also a number of application errors at around the time of the crash, ehrec, ehshell, mcglidhost and recordedtvhd service in that order. finally an error stating that the recordetvhdservice terminated unexpectedly.

i've had recordedtvhd installed for about 6 weeks and this happened quite a bit at first then died off, maybe 10 times in total. i am on 1.7.3

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

1. Going back to the recorded tv hd main screen on the "recorded by date" header without the series being grouped probably is taking some time if you have a lot of recordings. If you press any button while it is "thinking" it might give you a message saying something like "it appears Recorded TV HD has stopped responding..." If that is the case it is just doing that because Recorded TV HD can't respond to keypresses while it is "thinking" ... That is something I can probably work on in the future.

2. I have no idea how that would effect the rest of media center... especially the recording service. That should be completely separated from Media Center's UI and I have no idea how that would be affected.

3. I plan on working on reducing the number of times that the service checks thetvdb.com once it gives a "not found" error. I just haven't gotten to that... but like you said... it isn't really anything to worry about.

Thanks for the info. If anyone else out there is experiencing these issues, please let me know.

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
347 recordings in one folder, i don't think thats many? it didn't seem like your standard "the program is not responding", i see this regularly with mediabrowser and i'm accustomed to just waiting. its only happened since installing recordedtvhd and only ever in the situation i described above. i'll try grouping the episodes by series see if that improves things

thanks

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

bomberjim
This has been happening to me as well.  Started with the latest beta update.

Tonight it dropped out of Media Center right at the end of a recording BEFORE I had a chance to press any buttons.  "My HTPC drops to the desktop, then goes back into Media Center.  Message is something to the effect of Media Center has stopped working, searching for a solution."

This is not a result of pressing a button while it's thinking.

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
yeah, thats pretty much what i'm seeing. i've only ever tried this version

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

Thanks. I'll take a look at my code and see if I can figure anything out.

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
i just saw your new release and mention of stability in the commercial skip addin which reminded me of something, i went back and in event viewer there is an error shortly before when recordedtvhd crashed. its event 0, CommercialSkipAddIn and the detail is

User: David
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified.

Server stack trace:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcPort.Connect(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel impersonationLevel, Int32 timeout)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.ConnectionCache.GetConnection(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel level, Int32 timeout)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.AddIn.MediaExperience.get_Transport()
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.MediaExperience.get_Transport()
   at babgVant.MediaCenter.Application.PvrPlay(Object objSess)

it happens 7 minutes before wmc crashed as i was returning to the menu of recordedtvhd. i shall try the latest version and see how we go

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

That gives me something to go on! Thanks!

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

Wait a minute :) that may not be my code... Can you right-click on the event in the viewer and select "Save selected events" and then e-mail me the file as an attachment to support@recordedtvhd.com ?

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
done, as said in the email i have dvrmstoolbox and the mc addinn running a donators version of comskip

thanks

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

Yes... as I suspected that is an error coming from DVRMSToolbox Media Center Addin labeled "DTBAddin" on http://babgvant.com.  I don't think that had anything to do with the crash.

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
ok but each of the times that media center crashed on the 23rd that error precedes the crash by 6 or 7 minutes. its the only two occurrences of that event in the log, sounds like too much of a coincidence to me?

also in the latest beta all my thumbnails are scrambled, looks a bit like bad reception on a tv

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

Yes... as I suspected that is an error coming from DVRMSToolbox Media Center Addin labeled "DTBAddin" on http://babgvant.com.  I don't think that had anything to do with the crash.

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Recorded-TVHD-Crashing-tp5706785p5706801.html
To unsubscribe from Recorded TVHD Crashing, click here.
NAML

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

You are right... It sounds like there maybe a common underlying issue causing the problems. Not sure at this point though.

As to your thumbnails... That is very strange. I just double checked all of my thumbnails and they seem to look just fine. All of them are like that? What happens if you delete the bad ones from "C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\Thumbs" and then wait a while until hey are regenerated?

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
no problem.

not all, maybe 25% even after clearing the folder and regenerating. only clue is it only seems to be on HD recordings but i only have 20 out of 347 recordings which are not HD so not sure if this is enough to indicate a link?

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:38 PM

You are right... It sounds like there maybe a common underlying issue causing the problems. Not sure at this point though.

As to your thumbnails... That is very strange. I just double checked all of my thumbnails and they seem to look just fine. All of them are like that? What happens if you delete the bad ones from "C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\Thumbs" and then wait a while until hey are regenerated?

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Recorded-TVHD-Crashing-tp5706785p5706803.html
To unsubscribe from Recorded TVHD Crashing, click here.
NAML

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

I only have HD recordings ATSC (over-the-air). Are you using cable? Could these recordings be copy-once or copy protected in some way?

no, no copy protection, HD recordings are all h.264 recorded from DVB S-2 tuners through DVBLink. in the UK, not specific to a channel. can’t see any other pattern i’m afraid

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:15 PM

I only have HD recordings ATSC (over-the-air). Are you using cable? Could these recordings be copy-once or copy protected in some way?

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Recorded-TVHD-Crashing-tp5706785p5706805.html
To unsubscribe from Recorded TVHD Crashing, click here.
NAML

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
so it happened again. same combo of error messages too. any further ideas?

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
actually this was even worse, post the crash and restart of WMC no recordings would start until i rebooted. i'm on the verge of uninstalling

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

I have no idea how anything I'm doing is causing Media Center itself to crash... especially the recording service. That is a completely separate service that isn't linked to Media Center's UI at all.

Can you please go through step by step as to what led up to the problem and what exactly happened? I wish I had some way to reproduce the issue or at lease some clue as to what is causing it. I have not seen this happen in any of my testing.

What version of Recorded TV HD are you running?

Re: Recorded TVHD Crashing

spaceboy
well i 'm always watching something and either moving into or out of the main screen. i'm pretty sure this time i pressed the back button to come out of RTVHD into WMC. i think the screen went black but i could still hear the sound. had to end task to close WMC and when i restarted although i could tune no recordings started.

looking at event viewer i have plenty of Dsnap errors as mentioned in the other thread but no memory issues. i think this one is new, it seems to happen around the time of the crash:

Searching for for scheduled recordings error (outer): External component has thrown an exception.

then the commercial skip addin, then glidhost.exe. then i also see this, with a source of RTVHD:

External component has thrown an exception.   at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.Rowset.!Rowset()
   at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.Rowset.Dispose(Boolean )
   at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.Rowset.Dispose()
   at MediaCenter.Store.OleDB.Rowset.DisposeIfNotInUse(Int64 releaseTime)
   at MediaCenter.Store.OleDB.Session.ReleaseUnusedRowsets(Int64 releaseTime, StringBuilder rowsetsReleasedLog)
   at MediaCenter.Store.OleDB.ObjectStore.ReleaseUnusedRowsets(Int64 releaseTime)
   at MediaCenter.Store.OleDB.ObjectStore.ReleaseUnusedRowsetsTimerCallback(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading._TimerCallback.PerformTimerCallback(Object state)

then this:

Faulting application name: RecordedTVHDService.exe, version: 1.5.4559.22103, time stamp: 0x4fe8ab0e
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e21213c
Exception code: 0x0000046b
Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

then this

The Recorded TV HD Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

on v1.7.7. i should add i have added a RTVHD icon to the default tv strip. i hid the original but i also have mediabrowser on the same strip and i haven't seen any similar problems. happy to provide any other info that might help
12