RTVHD sooooo sloooooooooow.

dopdahl
Ok, great software.  Fantastic job.  Generally happy user for a couple of years...

However, as I have now accumulated about 2TB of recorded content (100s of titles), poster view is unusably slow.  The responsiveness of the product is inversly proportional to the number of unique posterboards, and the relationship appears to be linear.  In other words, the more titles, the slower to launch and the slower to navigate.

I get that you're probably loading up some sort of image list with every single poster and just working with that.  That's the straightforward approach and works well for a small number of assets.

The problem with that approach is that resources and performance get crushed and instability creeps in... causing crashes and other undesirable behavior that results from low memory, etc.

I realize you're a one man shop and you may not have a ton of experience optimizing code...

But... I do miss the Poster theme.  I've had to move to the List theme which is very responsive and behaves as expected and is much more stable.  Of course, the only thing being loaded is a few bytes of text for each title instead of a > 100KB poster for each title.

I'm going to ask that you think about taking some time to rework whatever list control you are using.  If it's completely homegrown, then you just need to add some sort of paging mechanism and load only a few pages of posterboards at a time.  There might be a slight hit in navigation speed taking this approach, but at least it will avoid the 20 second load time I'm experiencing on launch and after delete, etc.

It seems this would be a simple issue for you to duplicate so that you can see what those of us who have large amounts of content are experiencing.

I'd rather see this issue addressed before time is spent working on new features.

So that's my 2 cents.  Other than this issue, which for obvious reasons has become worse over time, I'm a big fan.  Please accept my comments in the spirit with which they were intended.

Re: RTVHD sooooo sloooooooooow.

Thank you for the feedback. I guess I haven't noticed the problems because of my habits...

1. I usually use the favorites lists which are obviously smaller.
2. I have an SSD as the OS drive.
3. I don't have a million recordings/files :)

I'll have to look into what it would take to load things the way you have described. I know I've seen the examples in the SDK, but based on what I've coded now, I'm not sure what it would take to change it yet.

Re: RTVHD sooooo sloooooooooow.

dopdahl
Thanks, yeah, I have an SSD OS drive as well, that's not the bottleneck.

I think you'd be seeing a lot more problems if you blasted your database with a few hundred 30 second assets each with a unique posterboard...

It wouldn't be hard to work up a script to pump your system full and it would make for a more realistic test/debug environment as you work through the issues.

I realize this is a side gig for you and I have to tell you that you have a great eye for UI design.

Keep up the good work.