RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

Scyto
When I leave MCE on live TV or the native recorded TV and then turn off the TV and turn it back on sometime later everything is ok, MCE is still maximized etc.

When I leave MCE on Recorded TV HD when I come back to TV and turn it on ehshell has closed completely and I am back at desktop.

Any ideas why?

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

Depending on what version you are running I might have fixed this problem since then. You might want to try my latest version:

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/alpha/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

Scyto
I am running the latest alpha offered by the UI.  Is the one above newer?

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

If you are on the new alpha track via the UI that is the newest version.....

Not sure why that is happening. I haven't seen that although I usually back out of Recorded TV HD when I'm finished out of habit. I just asked my wife and she said that she will leave it on Recorded TV HD often when turning off the TV and she doesn't recall that happening.

Anybody else?

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

Scyto
I did the same test again, this time when it turned on I was back at the Native recorded TV.

I realized I have seen this behavior before.

So I have two different symptoms from same sequence.

So either there is a time vector involved, the reset of the service is involved (haven't been able to repro the drop to desktop since restarting service for other issue).

Small possibility there is something in my harmony macro causing this as issue happens more often with the harmony controlling than manually turning on and off components.

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

crusing
Not sure if I should open a new thread, but I am experiencing this 100% of the time. Just as you described. If I back out to Media Center and power off the TV, everything is fine the next day. If I leave it in Recorded TV HD then turn off the TV the next morning the system is hung and I have to kill eshell to get back in.

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
Crusing,

This happens to me three to four times a week.  MJT previously believed it to be related to having many Unidentified Files of types other than WTV.  At this point, I don't have any Unidentified Files and it still occurs for me.  You might want to make sure you don't have any Unidentified Files.  If it's still an issue after that, then MJT may need to pursue this further for you/us.

MoRBiD

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

mldenison
I'm running the latest alpha.

On my HTPC, after around 6 - 8 hours, WMC becomes unresponsive.  Using RTVHD, I'll be watching a recorded show and the remote as well as the wireless keyboard no longer work.  I can't stop, pause or automatically skip commercials.  I occasionally get a message that RTVHD has quit working.  If I get the message and resume the show from RTVHD everything is again fine.  If not, I'll have to wait until the show has ended and get back the remote and keyboard.  I'll then close WMC, reopen it, and everything is again fine.

I'm on Windows 7 x64, Windows Media Version.

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

crusing
Doesn't seem related to unidentified files. I had them all cleared when this happened several times. Thanks for the info, it helps to know it's not just me.

Re: RTVHD crashing MCE when turning off TV?

mikemcc
Same with me, Cruising. This happens to me at least a few times a week and unidentified files aren't an issue. Fortunately, I can generally alt-cntrl-del to task manager and then exit WMC. A lot of times when I'm in the process of starting up task manager is when I get the message that the program is not responding and needs to close. TBH, though, I don't remember if it tells me that RTVHD is not responding or if it says WMC. I'll pay more attention next time it happens. I'm also on WIN 7 and the latest alpha.