RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

barnabas1969
I've been trying to use the free trial of RecordedTVHD for a week or two.  The memory leak kept making it crash.

Also, the "Recorded TV" button on my remote would take me to the standard Recorded TV menu, even though I had RTVHD set to override that in the settings program.  Due to these problems, my wife wasn't using RTVHD, and I wasn't using it much either.

This weekend, the program prompted me to install the update, which is supposed to fix the memory leak.  I installed it, and found that the Recorded TV button on the remote now works correctly, and takes me to the RTVHD menu instead of the standard Media Center one.  That's good so far.

As I was browsing shows last night, I noticed that it showed some really old episodes of "The Daily Show" that I thought I had deleted.  I clicked on one of them, and it said that the file did not exist.  At this point, RTVHD just hung there.  I couldn't back out of it.  I finally just closed Media Center.  Bummer.

When I started Media Center again, I tried to go to RTVHD, but it would not run.  I closed Media Center and tried stopping/starting the service from the RTVHD settings program.  Then I tried starting Media Center again.  Still, RTVHD would not work.

I didn't want to reboot, so I resorted to using the standard Recorded TV menu.  I assume it will work again after a reboot.

I really, really, want RTVHD to work.  It's beautiful, and the wife likes it too.  But so far, it's just been full of bugs.  My nice, stable DVR has been unstable since I installed RTVHD.  I want to like this program, but so far it has only caused problems.

First question: If I delete a show in the standard Recorded TV menu, will RTVHD not detect this?

Second: Why would this cause it to hang?  I should be able to simply delete the entry from the menu.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

Sorry for the trouble you've been having. Here are a few thoughts about your issues that you talked about:

1. "really old" episodes of "The Daily Show" - Just curious when you thought you deleted them. It is possible that either the Recorded TV HD service had crashed and wasn't running to catch the fact that you deleted them, or the service was "stuck" for some reason.
2. I don't know why the Recorded TV HD interface in Media Center wouldn't work. What would it do? Error message?

If you haven't rebooted yet, please do so and let me know of any problems you are having and we can take a look at them. Thanks for trying out Recorded TV HD... and I'm sorry for the issues.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
MJT,

I received a DVR support call from home while at work today, and it sounded like this.

My daughter was trying to play an old Curious George episode, and RTVHD hung. I remoted into the DVR, and killed and restarted WMC. RTVHD wouldn't open. I did this a few times. Then I stopped and restarted the RTVHD service via the Settings tool and restarted RTVHD.  Same result. I finally had to reboot the DVR and then RTVHD started fine.

It sounds like barnabas1969 deletes shows via the WMC Recorded TV menu. I tend to do my mass purging in Windows Explorer across my five DVR data drives.  Either way, it sounds like missing files don't always get purged from RTVHD's database.

Some indexing programs have an automatically rebuild database routine that occurs every week or so. Is that what is needed here?

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

My service goes through every recording in the database and checks to see if it still exists. If not then it will remove it. It actually does it quite often. But it sounds like something isn't working correctly for you. I know it is still working for me because when I booted up my laptop just now recordings that I deleted last night (on my HTPC) are no longer visible on my laptop.

I'll have to look at my code and see what I can do. I should probably do some checking in the MC interface too, just in case there is a problem like you are having.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

barnabas1969
MJT Software wrote
Sorry for the trouble you've been having. Here are a few thoughts about your issues that you talked about:

1. "really old" episodes of "The Daily Show" - Just curious when you thought you deleted them. It is possible that either the Recorded TV HD service had crashed and wasn't running to catch the fact that you deleted them, or the service was "stuck" for some reason.
2. I don't know why the Recorded TV HD interface in Media Center wouldn't work. What would it do? Error message?

If you haven't rebooted yet, please do so and let me know of any problems you are having and we can take a look at them. Thanks for trying out Recorded TV HD... and I'm sorry for the issues.
The episodes were from several years ago.  I have been having some guide issues lately (like everyone else), so it's possible that they recorded in error, and I may have deleted them recently.  When I clicked on the episode, RTVHD said something about the file not existing.  I clicked OK to that message, and then I couldn't do anything else.  The screen was stuck.  It looked like it was trying to show the episode details, but there were no details.  I couldn't go back or anything.  I tried closing Media Center, and stop/start the service.  It still didn't work.

I have a scheduled reboot every night after guide updates are loaded.  The next day, it worked OK.  The missing episodes are gone now.

I have been having some other odd behavior since installing RTVHD, but it seems better since installing the memory leak fix.  My Media Center machine is dedicated to that purpose, and it is the only TV source for all five TV's in the house (four TV's are connected to extenders)... so I don't change it much... I don't even allow Windows Updates to be installed.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

barnabas1969
You asked me to report any other problems.

Well... tonight, the "Recorded TV" button on my remote control stopped doing anything.  When I press it, nothing happens.  It doesn't take me to the standard Recorded TV menu, nor to the Recorded TV HD menu.

I can still move around in the main menu (by pressing the "green button" and then using the arrows and the OK button), and choose either one.  But the Recorded TV button does nothing.

Apparently, the setting in your program that is supposed to intercept this remote key doesn't work reliably.

If you have a way to diagnose the problem, please let me know and I'll send you whatever information you request.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

Bull_07
I've had the issue on other things about certain buttons not working with the remote and IR.
A reboot usually fixes it.  I've even had to move the IR to another USB Port.
This may not be the case for this issue, but worth a mention.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

barnabas1969
I never had this issue until installing Recorded TV HD.  Yes, a reboot fixes it... but I shouldn't have to do that.  In case you don't know, Recorded TV HD has a setting to "remap" the "Recorded TV" button on the remote, so that the button opens Recorded TV HD, instead of the standard Recorded TV menu.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

Thanks for reporting.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

barnabas1969
What's the entry point for Recorded TV HD?  I think it might be better to just map the button on the remote so that it triggers Event Ghost to start Media Center with the appropriate entry point.

Re: RTVHD crashed - non-existent recordings

I've got it mapped to launch it on Ctrl-H or Ctrl-O. You can also have it launch by pressing the # key if you enable that option. BUT I think that might be the component that is failing for some reason. I will be looking into that.

The actual entry point shortcut points to:
%SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe /entrypoint:{7285f9d6-53b5-45a8-a445-ec6621df1d51}\{495cecbc-6648-4324-a299-85c182ab1ff0}