Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

123

Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

meoge
This happens a few times a week and I haven't been able to narrow down when it will happen.  If I enter Recorded TV HD (i.e. hitting the recorded TV remote button while viewing the guide) I will be unable to move around with the remote.  I can tell it's stuck even before I click with the remote because neither the header or any box covers are highlighted.  At this point I can't move around the interface or even hit the start button to take me back to the start screen.  I'm completely stuck.  I have to get the keyboard out and move the pointer around so I can click on the back or green button to get back to the start menu.  At this point if I go back into RTVHD it will sometimes work fine and other times it'll still be stuck, but if I do this a few times and maybe go to guide or somewhere else first it start working again.  It's frustrating because my 6 year old doesn't understand how to use the keyboard to get it fixed and just has to call me in to fix it.  I have the standard Microsoft IR receiver and a Harmony 880 remote.  I'd be happy to send in a log file if one exist that would help solve this.  I have never had this problem on my Xbox 360 extender, but I don't use it as much as my main tv. Thanks,  I'm running the version 1.6.0.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

Interesting.... I haven't seen this before. I'll have to give it some thought.

Are you using 'media center like' or 'poster view'?  Do you ever have something playing while you navigate through Recorded TV HD or do you always have nothing playing?  Just curious what the circumstances might be. Is it only when you press the recorded tv button on the remote or does it happen when you use the icon on the start menu strip?  If it does it on the strip too, does it happen only happen when you choose the standard option, genre, favorites, etc... ?

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

meoge
Poster view

I mostly stop what is playing before going into it, but not always.  The few times that I have had something playing it didn't seem to cause a problem.  I did have the problem in an earlier beta where it would get stuck on the video if it had something playing while trying to use RTVHD, but you fixed that in a later beta.

I've had it happen pushing both the remote button and the main icon.  I never really use the other icons.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

I'm not really all that sure where to look at this point.... Odd things I see... I've NOT seen this before with Recorded TV HD, I haven't heard this from anyone else, and I HAVE seen this exact type of thing with Media Browser.  It just might be a strange random bug in Media Center causing this, but I really have no idea.

If you can find any sort of way to reproduce the problem be sure to let me know.  If it is inconsistent I'm not sure what I can do at this point. Thanks!

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

knyarko
I'm also having a similar issue.  At random times, under seemingly random conditions, when I go to Recorded TV HD, the media center becomes unresponsive to the remove, but I can use the mouse to back out to the main menu strip.  When I return, it often works fine again.  This only started happening after the last update. Also prior to this happening, I used to get an error when I went to recorded tv hd stating that the program was not responding.  I would click ok anyway and everything would still work fine. I don't get that error anymore though.  In addition, my xbox 360 has recently started becoming non responsive to the remote at random times (only noticed it when watching a program).  After I restart the xbox, everything is fine.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

meoge
I haven't had the problem on the Xbox yet, but we don't use it much.  I also used to get the "program not responding" message, but that doesn't happen much anymore.  I hesitated mentioning this here because it's not reproducible, but I was hoping some other people would chime in if it was a common problem.  We're going to live with it for now since RTVHD has become essential in our household.  I don't know how we made it with the built in Recorded TV program.  If it gets worse I'll probably try rebuilding the HTPC.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

knyarko
I too have become really accustomed to the Recorded TV HD program, so I hope there is a fix for this.  If not, I must consider uninstalling it, since the wife acceptance factor is directly dependent on having a stable setup similar to TiVo.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

Are you using 'poster view' as well?

When this happens is it the first time you have opened Recorded TV HD or have you been in it for awhile and it happens while using it?  Do you use the back button to get out of Recorded TV HD and then go back in or could you be using the "Green Button" on the remote and then you are returning to it by using the button on the media center start screen?

Since this isn't reproducible, at least not yet, I need all the information about when it happens to see if there are any particulars that stick out as to why it is happening.  I'm currently not seeing this problem and I'm unsure at this point what may be causing it.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

LanceWebb
I have been having this issue a couple times a week.  The remote just does not respond at all, no Back or Green button.  I have to get up and use the mouse to close WMC.  Then I hit the Green button on the remote and everything works fine.  But my wife just freaks out and starts screaming!

Looks to be just the HTPC, not XBOX.  It has done this as soon as I turn the TV on and after a have been using it a while.  It just random and cannot be reproduced.

Older HTPC, 2.6GHZ Core2 Duo, 8GB Ram, Ceton PCI, XBOX 360 Remote with Intelliremote

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

meoge
It only seems to happen after I've been using it for awhile.  I've had it happen after just a few hours since a reboot and I've also had it last a few days before having the problem.  I leave my HTPC on all the time and only reboot when needed.  Just like above, the remote is completely useless when this happens and I just have to use my mouse to click on the green button icon on the top left of the screen and then I can use the remote to go right back in and it usually works fine again.  Occasionally I have to do this a few times going to the guide or other section of 7MC before I can get it working again.  If nothing is recording at the time, I'll just restart the HTPC for good measure and it always seems to work after that.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

meoge wrote
It only seems to happen after I've been using it for awhile.
Do you back out of the Recorded TV HD app most of the time or do you leave it constantly running? (This includes using the green button and then returning to it later because using the green button keeps it open in the background.)

In the latest beta I've fixed the issue where using the "favorites, genre, ..." buttons on the strip don't work while the Recorded TV HD app is running if the user presses the green button to go back.  And in the next beta I'm going to give an option to reload the addin anytime it may be open in the background when using the 'home'/main Recorded TV HD button. I'm wondering if this is happening more to people who use the green button and leave it open more.

If that is the case it will help narrow it down.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.  I'd obviously like this to be fixed as well .

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

LanceWebb
I would say I just leave Recorded TV HD running because I just turn the TV off.

If watching Live TV, I tend to hit the Stop button to free up a turner, then turn off the TV.

Currently running Recorded TV HD Version 1.6.0.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

meoge
I hit the green button before turning off the TV and receiver.  I started doing this because I thought maybe RTVHD had a memory leak and would crash if left running.  I used to get the "Program Stopped Responding" message, but haven't seen it much lately.  I don't hit the back button because that just bounces me back through every menu I had been in and I really just want to get back to the main 7MC menu.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

Ok. That must be why I don't see the problem. I am in the habit of backing out of everything. Now I know where to look.  I tried leaving Recorded TV HD open all night and this morning it was fine...

Does it always happen on a certain screen? Main (1st screen), episode list, season list, single episode, list by genre, list by channel, etc... Or does it happen on any and all screens?

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

meoge
It happens on all screens for me.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

knyarko
Most of the time I hit play on a show from the Recorded TV HD app and after the show is done I just hit delete and leave it running.  There are times I use the green button, and there are other times I use the back button.  What is the proper way I should interact with the app.  Should I use the back button to exit the app before shutting of the tv and walking away for a while?  Does this also apply to the xbox?

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Program-Becomes-Non-Responsive-to-Remote-tp5117714p5132307.html
To unsubscribe from Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote, click here.
NAML

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

At this point I would say to use the back button to go back to the main media center screen before shutting off the TV.  I obviously need to fix the problem, but I would be interested to hear whether you are having the same problem when you are backing out of the program.  I'm guessing that you will not have the problem.

I've looked at my code some to try to see what may be causing this, but once I know for sure that it only seems to happen when a user leaves Recorded TV HD open I'll hopefully be able to find a way to prevent it.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

meoge
It just happened again.  I restarted my HTPC this morning after applying Windows updates.  We didn't turn on the TV until 6:30pm.  My daughter went into RTVHD and watched a show under her favorites.  When she was done she backed out from the episode page to the her main favorites page and then turned off the TV.  My wife turned the TV back on at 7:30pm and navigated over to her favorites and starting watching one of her shows.  She saw something she wanted to record while watching her show so she stopped the recording and then hit Guide to go and set the recording.  She then hit back until she was back in RTVHD.  It was frozen so she called me.  This was at 8:00pm.  I got the mouse and moved it around until the back and green button appeared in the top left and click on the green button.  I then clicked on RTVHD with the mouse and it was still frozen so this time I clicked on the back button with the mouse and then back on the RTVHD and it was working again. When I restarted my HTPC this morning it auto logs in and launches 7MC.  It sat at the main 7MC screen until 6:30pm.  RTVHD ran for a total of 1.5 hours before having the problem.  I've had it go a day or two before it happens sometimes.  Not sure if this helps or not, but thought I'd write it all down while it's fresh in my mind.  By the way, you need to go work for CETON and help them integrate RTVHD into there Media Centers and Extenders that they announced today at CES!

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

Thanks for the info and the encouragement :)

It seems like everyone who is having this problem is having it while Recorded TV HD is sitting idle for a long(ish) period of time... but it isn't every time and can't seem to be easily reproduced.

I'll look at my code and see what I can find.

Re: Program Becomes Non Responsive to Remote

chrisdfw
I get a black screen and the remote will not exit it. The mouse will allow me to get back to menu.
123