Problems after Installation (first time use)

Problems after Installation (first time use)

viking
This post was updated on .
I just installed Recorded TV HD and have the following issues:
1. When I clicked on the icon in WMC for the first time, I got a setup screen. How can I get this back? Are the settings in this screen different than in the windows program "Recorded TV HD Settings"? EDIT: I think that I found the setting icon = "wrench"? However, it is behind the X for closing Media center so I can not click on it (probably related to issue #3 below)

2. The programs are now organized by genre. If I try another option, e.g. Record date, I just get a spinning circle ("processing"?) but the shows are never reorganized (the circle is still spinning after 8 hrs....) I rebooted and closed Antivirus and other applications, but it didn't help; I also installed Record TV HD in another Computer (VM) and had the exact same issue.

3. How can I scroll the banner that shows "title, date recorded; original air date; genre, favorites, Scheduled"? Currently, the only way I can move it is by clicking on the edge of a word (e.g. if "original air date is selected", I can only see and click on "corded" to move the banner to the right).

4. Are the Genre "posters" supposed to be just colored blocks?

5. Some shows have a check-mark. What does that mean?

6. Is there a manual or help file somewhere?

7. If I could finally get this to work, is it possible to create two groups; Movies and TV Series and sort each group differently? For example sort movies by genre, but the TV series by air date?

Re: Problems after Installation (first time use)

1. The interface is optimized for a remote or keyboard so just arrow up to it (if using the list view) or arrow down to it with the other views.

2. Are you using RoboForm? If so this is a known problem. You can create an exception for Media Center. See this thread.

3. Once you fix #2 you can just use your arrow keys or even use the ffwd/rwnd or skip forward/skip back keys.

4. The genre posters are blank by default. You can set genre posters using the external Recorded TV HD Settings program under the Appearance tab. See this thread for possible images you can use.

5. The check-mark indicates the show has been watched. When you first install it attempts to import that information from your previous activity.

6. I have not created a help manual. You can search this forum or ask me about any specific questions. I should do this, but haven't spent the time. Sorry.

7. At this point movies don't have genres and are only marked as movies. You can hide them from the standard interface in the settings and either use the movies menu strip item, the movies header option, get there from the genre header option, or something you may be interested in is setting up different favorites lists based on the type of movie.

Thanks for giving Recorded TV HD a try!

Re: Problems after Installation (first time use)

viking
1. OK
2. Yes, I am using Roboform; creating an exception worked.
3. OK.
4. OK
5. OK. I haven't watched the movies but may have confirmed the recording for a few. I guess that it would set some flag that RecordedTVHD finds.
6. May save time in the long run to avoid having to answer the same questions multiple times (also saves times for the user)

7. I am trying to evaluate the pros/cons of RecordTVHD vs Media Browser, or would there be any advantage of using them together (How?)?

With Media Browser I was thinking about:
1. Use "WTV Meta Renamer" to move & Rename TV Series into folders under a "Series" folder.
2. Use another script (I wrote a simple "Automate" script) to move the remainder = Movies to Movie folders
under "Movies" Folder (I trigger the scripts to run after a recording).

Note that I record TV on internal hard drive and need to move to external drive regardless.
Thus, I will have a "Series" Folder that I sort by date and a "Movies" Folder that I sort by Genre.
(If everything works ideally).

Re: Problems after Installation (first time use)

I use Media Browser for movies as I feel that is what it is best suited for. Recorded TV HD is best suited for TV. However, there are a lot of people who use it for both TV and movies.

You should have plenty of time to evaluate whether or not you feel it is the best manager for TV. Personally I think the ability to have all recorded tv automatically be recognized while it is recording, the favorites lists, recycle bin, and the tons of other options and features  push it over the top. Obviously it is your decision on whether or not it is worth the cost.

If you haven't yet, you might want to take a look at the latest release candidate where you can see the features/changes I've been working on that should be released fairly soon.

Re: Problems after Installation (first time use)

viking
When I refer to Movies, I mean Movies that were recorded on TV (and thus handled by Recorded TV HD).

When you say "media Browser for Movies" are you referring to downloaded movies (e.g. avi, mkv etc) or to Recorded Movies from TV (.wtv) or both?

If I use recorded TV HD for TV series, I still need a script to move the recorded Movies into a folder structure for Media Browser.
Can Recorded TV HD mark/rename the TV Series so that I can avoid also moving them? For example, rename Arrow_XETVDT_2012_11_07_19_58_00.wtv to Arrow_S_XETVDT_2012_11_07_19_58_00.wtv?

Re: Problems after Installation (first time use)

I don't really record many movies. Currently Recorded TV HD doesn't rename files.

Thanks.