Playing items stored on a network drive errors out the first time

Playing items stored on a network drive errors out the first time

chrisdfw
When playing items stored on a network drive when you first click on item it will error out saying file has been removed or deleted. If try it again or sometimes two more times it will become available.  Can code be added to try access the file? I think it’s the network drive going to sleep, but when you access the item it will wake up.

Re: Playing items stored on a network drive errors out the first time

Recorded TV HD will check to see if the file exists and if it is on a network drive it gives a timeout period so you aren't waiting forever. The act of checking if the file exists wakes up the network hard drive and that is why it works the second time. I can increase the timeout period.

Re: Playing items stored on a network drive errors out the first time

cebalaw
I record and store my shows on a server, and access them on one of four PCs. One of my biggest issues occurs when I watch a show on one TV, then delete the show. It seems the other PCs rarely ever update the libraries; there needs to be a force refresh or someting. If I happen to try and open a show that has been deleted from another PC, RecordedTV hangs indefinitely. The only solution has been to completely close WMC, then reopen (and stay away from that show).

Is there anyway to change the library update frequency?
Is the there a way to change the timeout period you mentioned, as it does not appear to be active on my version?

Re: Playing items stored on a network drive errors out the first time

The beta version has the file existence check with the timeout period. The file watchers don't seem to be as reliable when monitoring network drives and the full update happens every 15 minutes. I will give some thought to making it update more frequently when the Recorded TV HD interface is visible or something to that effect. Thanks.

Re: Playing items stored on a network drive errors out the first time

cebalaw
Thank you. I will try the beta (until I came to the forum yesterday to post my question, I didn't know there were beta versions available).

Re: Playing items stored on a network drive errors out the first time

manchild
I'm still seeing this error with version 1.9.5.  Just like the original poster, I am accessing a network share whose drive is usually asleep.  Is it possible to adjust the time out period?