Next Update - Beta or Full

Beaker1024
I still use RTVHD on a daily basis and can't imagine using MCE without it.

Just thought I'd check and see if you have any updates to the program on the horizon.

I couldn't help but notice the last beta version released (v1.9.5) was 12/12/2013.

While 90% of the time things are working smoothly I have to believe some minor bug fixes have been done since then.  I also know that you are working on some new features either GUI or options when you can.

Thank you again for all of your work on this program/interface.  It's likely the most used piece of software that I have ever purchased (besides OS of course!).  Definitely most used across the entire family!

I hope had a great Thanksgiving and have a wonderful Christmas.

Re: Next Update - Beta or Full

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
I don't recall how I obtained it, but I've been using Beta 1.9.7 for quite awhile now.

Re: Next Update - Beta or Full

Beaker1024
Thanks for the information MoRBID.

I did see threads mentioning the 1.9.7 but I never saw a way to obtain that version.  I also believe I saw MJT post that v1.9.5 was still the "newest" of any type of version and he didn't give out a 1.9.7 in one of the treads on v1.9.7.

I did get the newer than 1.9.5 Recorded HD TV GUI settings outside of MCE *.exe file from another thread to be able to do manual IDing outside of MCE.  That was very cool/nice!

Do you know what v1.9.7 has as updates from 1.9.5?  Bug fixes, GUI theme updates or minor features testing?

As I mentioned before when you use a software package so much you tend to be interested in it's development and staying updated.  At least that's how I am.

Re: Next Update - Beta or Full

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
Beaker1024,

I have an archive of nearly every version of RTVHD since I started using it several years back.  (Yeah, I know, I'm a packrat.)  While I could have just sent you the newest one I have, I believe I would have then received similar requests over time from others.

So instead, based on the timestamps of the files I have, I searched through the RTVHD forum and found the posts having the versions newer than v1.9.5.  Below I've included the forum posts that I found them in, the date/time of the posts (in PST anyway) and the direct download links from the posts.  As for the changelog for each release, read through the forum posts to get a gist of what the changes were.

RTVHD 1.9.6 Beta:
http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/More-Options-causes-program-not-responding-tp5708609p5708684.html
MJT Software
Jan 17, 2014; 7:48am
http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSetup-1.9.6.msi

RTVHD 1.9.7 Beta:
http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Multiple-PC-s-with-RecordedTVHD-tp5706693p5708724.html
MJT Software
Feb 13, 2014; 8:00am
http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

RTVHD 1.9.8 Alpha (only RecordedTVHDSettings.exe which you mentioned having):
http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Future-Updates-tp5708846p5708932.html
MJT Software
Aug 29, 2014; 9:32am
http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSettings.zip

I'm right there with you in being a very regular user of RTVHD and being very interested in its development.  Unfortunately, from what I've seen in the forums, the focus has been on: winding down development (due to it being a complete app for MJT himself), adding functionality that would bring in purchases from new RTVHD users, and non-RTVHD projects.

While I'm grateful to MJT for developing such a great product, there are several things that are screwy in the app for me.  I've worked around a few of them with an RTVHD bolt-on script that I developed, and I have manipulated database data to implement an enhancement that I've wanted.  I've asked for some of these bug fixes and enhancements in the past, but they have never been worked on to my knowledge.

MJT is a busy guy.  I totally get the full-time job, young family, and other demands on his time.  There has been an offer or two in the forum about someone else taking over development if the source code was released, but understandably, MJT hasn't considered those requests.  And I realize that MJT can't do all of the changes requested of him because then he wouldn't have a life, the app would never be done, and you just can't satisfy everyone.

MJT gave us a tease of a new theme he was working on so we know there could be more RTVHD on the horizon.  I hope so.  While I'd prefer to see some of the backlog addressed, additional themes have their value, particularly to new users.  I never thought I'd change away from List View but Metro View was visually an improvement and I haven't looked back.  If MJT doesn't develop RTVHD beyond what I called 1.9.8 Alpha, I'd still remain thankful.  (And 1.9.8 Alpha did finally allow me to empty my Unidentified Files list!)  So if you're reading this, thanks MJT.

MoRBiD

Re: Next Update - Beta or Full

Beaker1024
MoRBID MaNGLeR

Well said/written and pulled together!  I know that I greatly appreciate the work you put into that post and how useful it is to have it all together.  As for your comments about this softwares developements I couldn't agree more and have the best wishes for MJT and his family.

I read through the threads (well the posts around) the versions and here are my thoughts:

v1.9.6 - Possible bug fix (undeclared by MJT) for the program freezing going into "more options." this might be only related to those using comskip.  I've never seen this bug and do not use comskip.

v1.9.7 - Possibly only a change to a message box being disabled stating that the programs service has stopped and needs to be restarted.  Useful for those wanting to run a "client" duplicate PC that you don't want scanning for new files (getting artwork, etc..).   I believe this is not applicable to most installs.

v1.9.8 - As you stated is the outside of MCE GUI settings program only (one exe file) to have manual IDing of unidentified files.

Conclusion: I'm staying with v1.9.5 + alpha RecordedHDTV.exe GUI settings file for manual IDing.

MoRBiD - The database adjustments and bolt-on scripts do you think they would be of use to other users?  I've worked up some AHK scripts for the process of starting MCE and handling Win 7 parameters but nothing that is directly about RTVHD.  The most I've messed with RTVHD is to clone the User profile folder on other PC installs to make things quicker and have same favorites lists, etc.

Re: Next Update - Beta or Full

IT Troll
A full year now with no update. Still hoping for a Christmas present from MJT.