Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

pezboy
I've been having a problem lately where I have to restart the RTH service about every 2 or 3 days to get it to recognize newly recorded wtv files. I'm using 1.7.19 beta.

Re: Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

Anybody else? I'm not seeing this, but I'm not monitoring other file types on my main HTPC and wondering if that may be where it gets hung up sometimes.

pezboy, do you have any unidentified files always out there or is everything identified?

Re: Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

TheMayor
I had this problem before.    From what I could tell, it has something to do with certain punctuation symbols as part of the show title or file name

For instance,  The TVDB lists "Law & Order: SVU", but Windows doesn't allow for a colon to be used as part of the file name.

Another thing I noticed a while back was the use of the apostrophe.   For some reason, I could have the Title of the show match exactly to TVDB & it would still show up on the unidentified list.

What I would probably do, is look at the shows that constantly stay on the unidentified list & see if any fit what I mentioned above.  If so, you might try to fix the show using the "fix unidentifies" on the RTVHD settings or to possibly change the file name to something like ID=11111 - S1E1  (11111 being the tvdb show id #)

Re: Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

pezboy
I do have about 6 persistent unidentified files (all .avi), a few that give me the 'Failed: A duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found' error, and the others are as choliscott described involving the punctuation problem with TVDB. I will pay more attention to the names of the unidentified .wtv files when the problem occurs again and report back.

As for the punctuation problem that choliscott described, is there a way to get RTH to map one character to another, i.e. ":" becomes "-" automatically? This functionality exists in another renaming script that I use called wtv-metarenamer and it really helps with the problem of using punctuation in Windows filenames, and I'm sure it would help reduce the number of unidentified files in RTH. Just a suggestion. Again, thanks for the great software and support.

Re: Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

The file names of the wtv files don't affect anything.... just the other file types. As suggested above, try moving the non-wtv files that are unidentified out of the watched folders so there are no unidentified items and see if that fixes the problems with the missing shows... Restart the service after doing that. If that is the case I need to figure out why that is happening.

Re: Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

pezboy
I moved the unidentified files out of the watched folders as requested. I will have to wait until tonight after some of my shows record to see what happens.

Re: Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

pezboy
I was able to observe the problem firsthand last night and it definitely seems to be the filenames of the other file types that are the culprit. As I said in my last post, I moved all the unidentified files out of the watched folders and after that all my recordings showed up fine. Just as a test I moved one of the problem files back into a watched folder and the subsequent recordings went unrecognized until I moved that file out of the watched folder again. I didn't even have to restart the service after moving that file, RTH recognized the new files immediately after moving it.

Re: Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

Thanks for the info. That gives me a good place to start looking.

Re: Newly recorded shows missing from RTH

Can you give me the exact file names of the files that were causing the service to stop adding new recorded shows? I want to try to debug it with those names first. Thanks!