Network Discovery Dependence is really annoyting UNC pleasE!

Network Discovery Dependence is really annoyting UNC pleasE!

djlax152
I'm not sure why you can't just type in a UNC path to point to the location where your media is stored and you have to use the god awful netbios\network discovery built into Windows but this is an extremely annoying problem.  I use Freenas as my storage location and am having a hell of a time trying to make it discover able so that i can point to it from Recorded TV HD.  Is there another way, i get that you can't do mapped drives but not being able to manually type in the UNC path makes ZERO SENSE.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Network Discovery Dependence is really annoyting UNC pleasE!

In the Recorded TV HD Settings program (outside of Media Center) uncheck the box to watch the same libraries as Media Center and save.

There should be a file located here: C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\DirsToWatch.txt (or C:\ProgramData\RecordedTVHD\DirsToWatch.txt)

Each line in that text file is a location that Recorded TV HD will monitor. You can just put your UNC path there. After saving that file Recorded TV HD will eventually realized the file has changed and add that directory to monitor.... or you could restart the service to make it happen immediately.

With a Freenas you'll have to make sure that all the permissions are setup properly so that the Recorded TV HD service can read the files with the user account that is entered in the Recorded TV HD Settings program.

If you have any trouble with that just reply to this thread.