Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

LanceWebb
How doing you sync your setting on multiple PC's?

I have a Household License of RecordedTVHD.  I just added a second Ceton InfiniTV 4 card and I am running network tuners a new PC.

I installed RecordedTVHD on the new PC.  I guess in setting need to Backup the original PC and Restore it to the new PC.

Do I have to do this every time I make a change or does it snyc some how?

Keep up the great work!    Lance

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
That's how I was planning to do it when I expand RTVHD to a second PC -- backup the first PC and restore to the second PC, and then make any minor modifications needed.

To my knowledge, RTVHD settings don't sync between PCs, although I believe someone has submitted an enhancement request for a central configuration file.

But recording directories, commercial files, etc. can be shared between multiple PCs and extenders.

It's great having two Cetons.  I assume that you already used Tuner Salad to work around the WMC limitation on tuner types?

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

LanceWebb
I Restored Backup on second PC running RecordedTVHD and mapped to the library with all of my recording on the original PC, but I do NOT see an shows.

I noticed that in Setting they are ALL listed in Unidentified Files.  Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

LanceWebb
Can I get some help on this?  I restored the backup another cleaning formated machne with the same results.  All shows are still showing up as Unidentified.   Lance

"I Restored Backup on second PC running RecordedTVHD and mapped to the library with all of my recording on the original PC, but I do NOT see an shows.

I noticed that in Setting they are ALL listed in Unidentified Files.  Am I doing something wrong?"

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

Same thing after you stop and start the service? Make sure you have the credentials set correctly if the recordings are stored on a network share. They have to be the username and password for the machine itself (the one you are having trouble with).

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

maademperor
MJT Software wrote
Same thing after you stop and start the service? Make sure you have the
credentials set correctly if the recordings are stored on a network share.
They have to be the username and password for the machine itself (the one
you are having trouble with).
Thanks for that hint, that was what I was missing.  I just assumed it wanted the credentials of the unc path rather than local client

sorry to necro an old thread

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

wallaceff
I have jsut installed this app. Its really fantastic.

However, I'm having an issue that stops me from using it.

I have 2 pc's that share the 'Recorded TV' folder. On the main (server) PC, I have everything all nicely set up, adjusted episode and series numbers, fixed everything so its all fairly complete.

However, when I load the 2nd pc (bedroom), it obviously tried to do it all again (other than the progress of a show).
I really really need all the downloaded backdrops, fixed series and episode data to be SHARED.

Is there a way? (no, this is not an extender obviously).. but this is core functionality.
I just want an option "Location of Recorded HD Data" and maybe some checkboxes to say what will or won't be used from the share (eg. the appearance may be set per PC etc etc). I don't think it should be that difficult?
Also, on the Recorded HD TV settings stand alone app, there should be a way to "only display episodes with no series/episode data"

Any thoughts?

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

wallaceff
As a sort of answer to myself, I have come up with the following solution that 'seems' to work after a few hours of looking so far, but not sure of the down side...

On client computer:
1) stop the RecordedHDTV service
2) rename C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD to something else
3) run cmd prompt as and admin and type: mklink /d C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD \\*SERVER*\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD (where *SERVER* is the Network name of your Server PC)

On Server PC
1) Stop the RecordedHDTV service
2) change the watched directory to only watch the network share of the recorded TV (ie. change from C:\Recorded TV to \\TV\Recorded TV or however you have your share set up)
3) Restart the service, it will bascially do a fresh scan of all your recorded TV files, so any series modifications you have done might need changing
4) Check Recorded TV HD works on server

Back on Client, start Recorded TV HD from inside media center, it will prompt that "the service is not running, do you want to start it now" chose NO (as the server PC should be finding all the changes itself)

All then seems to work.

The only wish I now have is that I could have a menu option to "turn of prompt to start the service" somewhere.

Any more thoughts?

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

Thanks for the posts... you should not have any downsides from what you've described... except the annoying prompt :) .... So in the version below I've removed the prompt if the services is set to Disabled. So just go into the Windows Services console and set it to disabled. NOTE: At this point when you install an update you will have to go in and disable it again. I'll look into a way to keep it disabled when an update is performed.

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

wallaceff
This post was updated on .
Fantastic. Will give it a try shortly!

Might I suggest some sort of setup wizard to automate this for other users?  I'm VERY sure I'm not the only one having multiple PC's running Media Center.

EDIT: ok... I've tried it and works exactly as I would like! Thanks so much.
1 more favour. Under 'unidentified files', I have heaps of "MSDVRMM_XXX_XXX_XXX" files. From my limited google searching, these are created by media center. Given they are hidden, is there a way to have them NOT show up in my list of unidentified files?

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

I was thinking about the automation thing as well... I'll have to figure out the best way to do it.

2nd... I've never seen or heard about the "MSDVRMM_XXX_XXX_XXX" files. Are they WTV files or what?

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

Beaker1024
This post was updated on .
I like the idea of having the RecordedTV user folder duplicated across the house but am concerned with the "link" pointer solution.

What if the main PC is sleeping and you turn on the "Client" PC?

How about a solution that is broader and useful for people with always on network storage shares (be it WHS v1, WHS2011 or a NAS, or Win 7/8 folder shared).

Can't we have the entire actual USER folder be on the always on share (that's on a drive or server without RecordedHDTV).

Just have each install of RecordedHDTV installation (Win 7 or Win 8 PCs) then use that shared path?  Only issue then is using two client PCs at the same time and if locked files problems persist.  How is this handled with the bookmark text files and two client PCs at the same time.

Just some thoughts.  Thank you for your time and consideration!

EDIT: A very clunky solution an average user could setup would be to have scheduled tasks to do mirror copies from main PC to share folder and have every Client PC have to copy it over to it's local User dir.  If something isn't available then you just have an older version you are working with.

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

Thank you for the suggestions Beaker1024! I think you are on to something. I may give people an option for both.

I actually just started working on wizard... not sure how long it will take to get it all up and running, but you guys have inspired me to get to it.

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

Beaker1024
Thank you for working on this.  I as just a bit concerned you'd spend time on a great solution that I (and likely a decent portion of your user base) would not be able to implement (no way to run RecordedTVHD services on Windows server 8 (WHS2011), etc...).

In the past when I had to re-setup a PC I would just manually copy my primary MCE PC's RecordedTVHD User folder over to speed things up a lot.

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

wallaceff
Just a further request from me (not sure if this should be in the request thread....)

When I have the above set up on my client, if the server PC is off, then when I run RecordedTVHD, I get a very weird error message (which is obviously the inability to communicate with the server).

1) could you change this error message?
2) Any chance of incorporating Wake On Lan?
3) If so, could you change it to something like "Server PC not found, attempt to Wake? Yes/No" in which case a WOL to the server would be attempted, with RecordedTVHD trying every second to connect with the server and if that fails, another error message?

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

Yes. Those things are on the list... I'll see what I can do.

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

Beaker1024
A different model that wouldn't require as much work would be to have the shared User folder location be a repository.

Client PCs have same folder and install of RTVHD local uses local (so files always there).

On start of RTVHD it goes and get any "newer" files from shared (server) location. so it's upto date.  If it can't reach it no error message or issues as it's still using the local.

Use RTVHD as normal when closed any changes to copied to server shared location.

This drastically reduces chances of shared file locked issues etc...  I don' know if we need try instant shared USER folder anyways (correct me if you have a reason).

Re: Multiple PC's with RecordedTVHD

Beaker1024
Honestly the easiest and the method that I would consider the least intrusive (no automatic triggers, links, issues w/locked files, no issues with sleeping PCs, etc...)

Just write two "batch" files or subroutines that do a robocopy of just changed files (See DOS commands).

One pushes the updates from local USER folder to a set shared location.

One gets the updates from the shared location.

Shared location = Parameter set in Recorded TV HD Settings outside of MCE

Put buttons (no triggers on start/stop or task scheduler or anything else) in Recorded HD TV's "Settings" inside of MCE.  One button for Push and one for Get.

Write it to easily handle "Shared" location not available with message box and back out.

RESULT = Easy to use inside MCE w/remote from couch when you make a change you want to "keep" or to get a change you made elsewhere.