Memory Leak

123

Memory Leak

sccrgoalie1
Hello,

Twice this week I have come home to my computer frozen and looking in the task manager, recordedtvhd service is using over 4GB of memory.  any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Re: Memory Leak

Wow! That isn't good! I haven't seen that on my machine... at least not that I know of. I'll have to look through the code and see what I can find. Thanks for the report.

Re: Memory Leak

sccrgoalie1
Great thanks!  I should have mentioned I'm running the latest version.  Let me know if you need more info.

Re: Memory Leak

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
I'm experiencing this issue frequently with the latest beta version as well.  Today, Recorded TV HD was using 10.75GB of RAM.  Usually, I catch it somewhere in the 8-9GB range.

Re: Memory Leak

Just so I can narrow it down... are all of you including/scanning for other file types? Scanning network drives? Do you put your machine to sleep when inactive?

Re: Memory Leak

sccrgoalie1
I do scan both other file types (.mkv) and network drives.  No sleep here :)

Re: Memory Leak

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
Here are the extra file types that I am scanning for:
.wmv|.avi|.mkv|.mp4|.m4v|.mpg|.mov|.rtvdvd

It scans four local drives and a networked pooled drive.

My DVR doesn't sleep.

Re: Memory Leak

I don't have a ton of experience fixing memory leaks, but I have a hunch as to where it might be occurring. In the version below I've disabled checking the scheduled recordings inside the service to download artwork for new series that haven't been recorded yet.

Please try out this for the amount of time you feel it takes to see if the memory leak occurs and let me know if you still are seeing the problem or if it has gone away.

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSetup-NoScheduledCheck.msi

Re: Memory Leak

mogulman
I think it might be having a memory leak for me as well.

I noticed it was using 128MB RAM.  I restarted the service and it was using 25MB.

I'm not monitoring any extra file types or anything other my recorded TV folder.

Re: Memory Leak

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
In the last few days, it only peaked at 235MB.  But I just installed the NoScheduleCheck version, and it is currently sitting at 30MB.  I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.  Thanks!

Re: Memory Leak

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
It appears that the NoScheduleCheck version fixed the memory-leak issue that I was seeing.  Memory usage has only been in the 100MB to 250MB range for me.  Before this version, it was not uncommon to see memory usage in the 5GB to 10.5GB range.  Thanks for putting out this fix.  I hope that you're able to find a fix for the ScheduleCheck that doesn't reintroduce the memory leak.

Re: Memory Leak

sccrgoalie1
Seems to be working well for me as well.  I think you located the leak.  Hopefully you can patch it to keep the functionality.  Thanks!!

Re: Memory Leak

Not sure if this will fix it or not... I've put the feature back in and changed some code that may help.

If you get the chance, please test this out and let me know.

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/beta/RecordedTVHDSetup-PossibleFixes.msi

Re: Memory Leak

Did anyone experiencing the memory leak problem try out the version above? I'd like to know if that fixed it. Thanks

Re: Memory Leak

sccrgoalie1
Sorry, downloading now.  I'll let you know in a couple days.

Re: Memory Leak

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
I haven't encountered any memory leaks since installing the fixed version.  Usage is 50-100MB.

Re: Memory Leak

mogulman
I've been using the new version as well.  Memory has been stable around 20-27Mb for me.

We have noticed a few times, where the video has gone completely blue while watching a program.  Just showing the blue background from WMC, with audio for the program continueing.  Using the IR remote does nothing for a few minutes, then things start to work again.  I'm not sure if this is related to the commercial skip bar.  I believe it happens after a skip.

Re: Memory Leak

Glad that fixes the memory leak.

Yes the blank blue screen is from the commercial break viewer. I still haven't figured out if there is anyway to fix it... it may just be a strange bug on Media Center. If you have a mouse (I use an app on my phone) you can move pointer up to top left and click on the back button.

Re: Memory Leak

sccrgoalie1
Seems to have fixed the issue for me as well.  Thanks!

Re: Memory Leak

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
I too occasionally get the "blue" screen.  (For me, it's a different wallpaper though.)  I just back out and go back in to work around it.

RTVHD has been crashing on me again though, about once a day.  When I get a chance, I'll take the time to document what's going on specifically in a new thread.

Also, what app are you using on your phone as a mouse?  I know there are lots of them out there; I'm just curious which one you are using and what kind of phone you have.
123