Media Center Stops Recording

garymeter48
I experience a problem where my scheduled recordings stop recording early. I have Recorded TV HD installed on three PC's in my home. The application works perfectly collecting the tuner recorded shows and my downloaded episodes on the pc's that are not actually performing the recordings. However, when I have Recorded TV HD installed on the recording HTPC my cable show recordings are interrupted or do not record at all. During the past year I've removed the application a number of times from the HTPC due to this problem. Every time I reinstall the application on my HTPC the problem returns.

I'm using two SiliconDust networked tuners, the new Prime and the older two tuner model. In the morning when I check my recordings from the previous night I find interrupted recordings and some shows not recorded at all. It looks to me like my HTPC loses the network connection and that would explain why the recordings are interrupted. When I uninstall the application and use regular WMC I have no problems.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Re: Media Center Stops Recording

I understand how this could be extremely frustrating and I'm sorry you've experienced the issue. I'm not really sure about losing your network connection, but it seems that in some of my previous versions there was a problem where some people randomly experienced problems when my program called the Media Center APIs when checking for scheduled recordings. In my latest version I've changed the process and if that was the problem, hopefully it will fix it for you.

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/alpha/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

Re: Media Center Stops Recording

garymeter48
Thanks for the quick response. Is this version different than your most recent beta version ?? I have been using your recent beta version dated 9/29/12.

Re: Media Center Stops Recording

It is different, but I'm not sure if the alpha would make any difference over the beta from what you are describing.

The issue that I am talking about a fix for happens when Media Center and everything connected to it (including the recordings engine) crashes. The recordings act like they are still recording until you restart the computer. I'm not entirely sure what the event viewer says, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't show any new events until you restart your computer.

If you check your event viewer under the "Media Center" section under "Applications and Service Logs" you might want to see what those events say if anything corresponding to the time you are talking about.

Re: Media Center Stops Recording

garymeter48
I checked and found something very interesting. I've had the same problem the past couple of nights. The event history shows on both nights a message ' scheduled on 10/8/2012 8:59:02 PM and was manually stopped on 10/8/2012 9:46:32 PM for use by another component'. On both nights I received a similar message stating the recording was manually stopped which was not the case.

Here is some of the history from a couple of nights ago. Last night was similar:

Warning 10/8/2012 10:00:13 PM Recording 8 None Revolution: The Plague Dogs was not recorded because the tuner is not working or is not installed.

Error 10/8/2012 10:00:12 PM ehRecvr 3 None TV tuner encountered an error. (0xc0040524) Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 1015D70B-1

Warning 10/8/2012 10:00:10 PM Recording 8 None Hawaii Five-0: Lana I Ka Moana was not recorded because the tuner is not working or is not installed.

Warning 10/8/2012 10:00:09 PM Recording 3 None Portions of The Mob Doctor: Change of Heart may not have been recorded. A signal loss occurred during the recording.

Warning 10/8/2012 10:00:00 PM Recording 8 None Castle: Secret's Safe With Me was not recorded because the tuner is not working or is not installed.

Warning 10/8/2012 9:46:32 PM Recording 3 None Recording of Major Crimes: Cheaters Never Prosper began as scheduled on 10/8/2012 8:59:02 PM and was manually stopped on 10/8/2012 9:46:32 PM for use by another component.

My recording stopped exactly at 9:46 PM.

Re: Media Center Stops Recording

I did a quick search and I found this:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78070&sid=94b06037ed434ca04a8cf860bb820d5b

there are a bunch more search results that you might want to look at too:

http://www.google.com/search?q=scheduled%20on%20and%20was%20manually%20stopped%20for%20use%20by%20another%20component

I'm not saying that it isn't Recorded TV HD, but with those event viewer entries I don't believe my addin could be causing it.

Re: Media Center Stops Recording

garymeter48
Okay....thanks. I'll read through the comments later. I can tell you that my tuners do indeed lock up as mentioned in the links you provided. But, I can also say with certainty that I do not experience the problem after I uninstall your application from my HTPC which is doing all of my recordings. I can leave the application installed on other home networked pc's and it works fine, but those pc's are not recording.

I noticed this morning when I looked at my HTPC screen that I had no network connection. The links mentioned it could possibly be related to losing a network connection.

Re: Media Center Stops Recording

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
Garymeter48,

Is your HTPC sharing tuners to your "extender" PCs, or are the "extender" PCs merely watching recorded shows from the HTPC?  If sharing tuners and if the "extender" PCs were left watching live TV all night and if you had a several recordings going on, I could see your HTPC potentially not having enough tuners and not recording shows.  This wouldn't explain why your recordings are getting chopped off, but this could explain why they are not recording at all sometimes.

Also, the latest beta can be set to seek out the newest alphas/betas/stable versions.  If you want this functionality, be sure to enable it in the Settings.  That way, you're working with the newest "alpha/beta" fixes which gives you a better starting point for reporting issues.

MoRBiD