Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

rperriss
The hard drive in my HTPC has been filling up and so I have added a larger external eSATA drive to house my recordings. I have switched the media center default recording drive no problem but I have also moved all my recordings from the internal drive to the external so that I can resuse the internal. Unfortunately some of my recorded shows have lost their season and episode data - most of which I had to add manually previously. It hasn't affected all shows but a significant number. I have tried restoring a backup but this didn't help. Is there anything I can do or will I have to edit all the metadata manually again? Is there any way of moving recordings in the future and retaining the data - for example I am planning to build a new HTPC in the near future.
Thanks,
Richard

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

Are you talking about just the Season and Episode numbers for recordings? Or are you talking about metadata for files of other file types?

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

rperriss
Wow, thanks for the speedy reply.
I'm talking about the season and episode numbers and episode titles in some cases, which I added manually in the recoded TVHD settings program. It is for recorded TV WTV files only.

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

I see. Well... at this point that is only stored in the database and once that file gets "deleted" the metadata is gone. When you move the file it attempts to simply change the location field in the database. That is only successful some of the time because sometimes Windows sends a delete and create events instead of a rename event... mostly when moving files to another drive.

I'll see if there is anything I can do in the future.

Thanks.

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

rperriss
Thanks.
Do you, or anyone else in the forums, know of any other programs that can store this metadata within the file itself (if this is possible)? I know there are lots of metadata programs out there but I don't know if they use their own databases or can write into the wtv file. If the wtv files are renamed to a season and episode naming scheme would that help?

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

TheMayor
How exactly did your recorded show use the Meta data that Media Center automatically adds to the file?

I have moved a bunch of WTV files to other drives & still have the meta data.

You could try renaming the file to something like "Big Bang Theory - S1E1.wtv",  but if there is other meta data on the file, I believe RTVHD will use the Meta data on WTV files.

You could also try fixing the Meta data on the WTV file it self (properties - details)

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

rperriss is just saying that he modified the metadata using Recorded TV HD's settings and then lost those changes so it pulled the metadata back from the WTV file itself.

I will look into writing the metadata changes back to the WTV file so that those changes will be saved if the file is moved to another drive.

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

rperriss
Thanks. I'll have a play with the putting the season, episode and title in the file name and see if that helps. I haven't moved my recorded movies onto the external drive yet (about 100) so I hope that goes OK. I guess I might lose some of the artwork, but there's not much I can do about that. Do you think it might go better if I copy the files and then delete the ones on the internal drive rather than moving them?

I am having another problem. I recorded the first episode of season 2 of The Sarah Connnor Chronicles, titled Samson and Delilah recently. RTVHD has got confused and has classed it as a movie so it shows up in the movies section, but has also added it to the first season recordings in the TV section, however it has not counted it in the episode count badge and it does not show up in the correct place when ordering by date recorded. I have tried correcting things in the RTVHD settings program but I cannot change the 'movie' tick box in the episodes override tab. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

It won't read any information from the file name on WTV files in most circumstances.

Moving them to another drive basically does a copy and delete so it won't make any difference.

Try going to the Series Override for the one that is categorized as a movie and changing the genre from movie to something else. If there are two series listed you can combine them using the series override options as well by using the option under the edit series screen.

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

rperriss
In the series Override tab the 'rogue' episode is not separate from the season 1 episodes - I just have one entry for the whole series which is not classified as a movie.

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

First try changing the Genre to Movie.... press save... then change it back to whatever Genre you want and press save. If that doesn't work I can give you some instructions to manually edit the database.

Re: Lost metatdata when moving recorded TV

rperriss
Tried your suggestion and now all is correct. Thanks!