Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

Guy Martin
I just installed the latest version 1.5.2. I love the software but had to de-install it after using it for a couple of hours. After watchig 2 shows on an xbox360 extender, doing typical use (a few FF, skips, RW), the system locks up, the remote is no longer active, i.e. stop, menu, info are all inactive. Do only way of getting out of this is to restart MCE on the extender. After 3 such restarts, I de-installed the software (paid version by the way).

I had this problem on the previous version but not quite as bad. The new version seems to have made matters worst.

The server is running on intel7 cpu with 8GB of ram. The extenders are hard wired - no wireless. I also noticed that navigating down the lists is very sluggish, almost a full second delay before the background gets refreshed.

I plan on re-installing today with everything turned off, and see if this resolves the problem.

Re: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

rex.withers
This has been getting worse and worse for me also since the last few versions. For me its on the MCE PC often when I press back after going into a show.

Re: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having... The only issues I seem to have are completely random and infrequent and have to do with the commercial break viewer.  It seems that there is a bug with Media Center that causes inconsistencies with how commercial break viewing is displayed (or launched).... which sometimes causes lockups.

If you ware using the commercial break viewer please turn it off and see if that helps.

The delay in the backdrop on extenders is intentional to increase the speed of scrolling through the list.  If you would like to adjust the backdrop delay add the following line in the [Settings] section of C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\GlobalSettings.ini

ExtenderBackdropDelay=500

(The default is 800 milliseconds... you can change it to whatever you want)

Re: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

Guy Martin
Well the good news, after re-installing and turning everything off, the problem is gone.

The commercial skip viewer (which I love but can do without for now) is probably as you said the culprit, I will re-enable this feature last and see if the problem comes back (if my wife lets me).

I will try the timing change and turn the banners, etc. back on, and see if that fixes the sluggishness on the list navigation.

I have just migrated from Sage-TV to MCE, and this software gets me close to the functionnality and features I got used to on Sage. Now the only feature I would really like is to have the Season and Episode number displayed; since you already have the information in the "Episode Override" window, this should not be a biggy.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your prompt response.

Re: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

Guy Martin
Not sure if this is where I should post this.

Just installed 1.5.12, noticed the S00e00 update, great love it, but unfortunately the viewing commercial skip bar still causes the system to ftreeze up. The posters still causes navigation slugishness, tried changing the setting but stil not usable on extenders. I am using wired not wireless on a new XBOX.

I have since disabled both features and will try again next update.

Re: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

I've been testing with an old Linksys extender.... It is in a bedroom, though I hardly use it.  I've been using poster view and haven't noticed any worse "slugishness" than my media browser setup.  I do not have an XBOX to test with... maybe I should buy one... just haven't had the need yet.

I haven't heard many other complaints about sluggishness, especially after I added the backdrop delay setting.  Obviously that doesn't mean that I don't believe you ... I'm just wondering what the cause is.

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to look into it further.

Re: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

When you say navigation is sluggish do you mean switching between the different header options? Or do you mean navigating between the different series below?

RE: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

Guy Martin

Between the different series. It looks like the poster display is asynchronous instead of synchronous.

RE: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

Guy Martin

Well I have an old Linksys in the spare bedroom. I’ll try it there and see if it behaves like on the Xbox.

I've been testing with an old Linksys extender.... It is in a bedroom, though I hardly use it.  I've been using poster view and haven't noticed any worse "slugishness" than my media browser setup.  I do not have an XBOX to test with... maybe I should buy one... just haven't had the need yet.

I haven't heard many other complaints about sluggishness, especially after I added the backdrop delay setting.  Obviously that doesn't mean that I don't believe you ... I'm just wondering what the cause is.

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to look into it further.

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Latest-version-1-5-2-freezes-up-tp4948416p5068577.html

To unsubscribe from Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up, click here.
NAML

RE: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

I've been working on this to try to help with the sluggishness....  I would appreciate it if you tried out the latest beta and let me know how it works for you. Thanks!

Latest beta info and download

RE: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

rex.withers
I'm still having freezing problems (a Lot) on 2 different machines even after windows reinstall. I will test this and let you know.

RE: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

rex.withers
First impressions; Seams more responsive, general faster, more consistent (most importantly). Will keep you posted

RE: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

If you can, please try out the latest beta and let me know if you are still having issues with the commercial break viewer. I've been testing my "fix" for at least a couple of weeks and I haven't had it freeze or stick on the media center background at all in that period. It also seems to be faster, but that just might be a placebo :)

rex.withers
Thanks, I have installed and will give some feedback in the next day or so

RE: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

rex.withers
Initial testing shows a significant improvement in switching between main lists and episode listings will post again in a few days. Yes it seems over all faster for me as well its certainly noticeable.

Thanks!!

RE: Latest version 1.5.2 - freezes up

rex.withers
I haven't had a singe unrecoverable freeze moving around between episodes since the update so that improved things a LOT. The only slow spot is moving from the show back to the main list by pressing the back button on the remote even that's improved.

Yes I agree its all around faster.

Two issues I am seeing occasionally (possibly new bugs):

1. the show list disappears altogether and is just a blank blue placeholder where the show list is.

2. every now and then while I'm not using media centre (screen saver running) I get the popup saying that recorded TV HD has crashed. I just close media centre altogether and restart and its all good.

The two issues above are a bit annoying but over all its more stable and faster so its not as bad as it seams.

FYI I'm upgrading my media centre shortly from a core 2 Quad to 3rd gen i5 with SSD boot drive etc. Ill be reprovisioning the existing media centre to another room (complete reinstall) so that may be telling I guess. Will keep you posted.