Latest 1.6.10 artwork still unusable on extenders

Latest 1.6.10 artwork still unusable on extenders

Guy Martin
Just updated to the latest beta and turned the artwork back on. Still very sluggish and unusable on the xbox. I am hardwired not wireless. I have an i7 server with a ceton infinity recording all the shows. All the TVs have either an xbox or a linksys extender. I have been trying the artwork since 1.5.2, but no improvement.

I listened to the podcast from the Digital Media Zone where you mentionned that you had a Linksys that was not being used much, and was hoping to get an Xbox for the kids TV. When you do, you will see what I mean. I also turned on the visible commercial skip, and will see if this is fixed; if it isnt I will hear about it very soon from my wife, who complains that I should leave thing the way they were.

A lot of the features you have appear to have come right out of SageTV; one of the features I would like to see is that when a show is watched (checkmarked) it dispapears from the favorite list and appears in the Recently Watched list.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work.

Guy Martin

Re: Latest 1.6.10 artwork still unusable on extenders

I did get an Xbox and both the Xbox and Linksys work great!  I don't recall if it was you, but I'm wondering if you changed any settings in the ini file having to do with the backdrop delays. I haven't changed mine at all, and I'm just wondering if you have.

I guess I'm not exactly sure what sluggishness you are describing for sure.  What do you mean by sluggish?  The extenders by default do not change the backdrop right away because for some reason it makes the interface more sluggish to change the backdrop right way.  Are you just saying the backdrop doesn't load right away or that your arrow presses aren't going right away or what?

Your idea to hide the watched shows from the favorites lists is a great idea.  I will probably add that as an option very soon as it should be a very quick thing to program.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Latest 1.6.10 artwork still unusable on extenders

Guy Martin
Yes a while ago at your suggestion I did try changing the delay in the ini file, but it did not help so I put it back to the default. As far as the sluggishness, if you press the down arrow in quick succession, things are fine, but if you stop fo a fraction of a second, nothing happens until the backdrop appears, which gives the appearance of sluggishness, Typically my wife goes down her list of shows (list mode) and looks at the synopsis of the shows to decide what to watch, and she gets frustrated because the remote no longer responds to her down arrows. On the server where all shows are recorded there is no problem, only on the extenders.

I also tried to turn on the visible commercial break feature, and the remote immediately froze, necessitating a reboot of the extender. I personnaly love this feature, but my wife doesnt care about it so it shall remain off until you feel it is fixed.

I tried the recycle bin feature, and noticed that after you recycle a show, the next show you watch is shoppy for the first few minutes (probably while you copy the file to the directory). In my case the recycle directory is on my home server, and some of the shows are also on the server, so I might be experiencing a bandwidth problem, eventhough I have 1GHZ ethernet between the two servers. You might want to reconsider doing a Move instead of Copy, which would mean that you have a recycle directory on each drive where your original files are located.

Re: Latest 1.6.10 artwork still unusable on extenders

1. You could try using "media center like" theme/view.  The backdrops do not change when going through until you actually select a series.  If you don't want to do that you could increase the backdrop delay to something very high so it doesn't change the backdrop for a while and "might" help with your problem.

2. With the recycle bin, I don't believe there is any way to "move" a file that is on a network share without involving the client machine copying it.  I do start a "move" and it figure out if it is able to actually do a "move" or if it has to "copy and delete original"

So even if I tried to put a recycle bin on each drive it wouldn't work properly for network shares.  It is a good idea though for local drives.