I just did a fresh install of 1.9.0 on Windows 8 (also a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro with WMC) and I get errors when trying to start the Recorded TV HD settings program. It gives me a "Cannot retrieve files error" every time and the first time it gave me an error about the database being missing. I can't stop the service in this state so I disabled the service, restarted, uninstalled RTVHD, restarted, and reinstalled RTVHD. Unfortunately, I continue to get the same error. Is there a blank database that I can copy from somewhere to the correct location? Thanks.
I would rather try to resolve this here rather than remote assistance if possible. The "C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD" directory is totally missing for some reason. I copied this directory from another Windows 8 PC that is running RTVHD and still get this error (I told you the wrong wording before): "Error retrieving directories to watch". I still can't stop the service. Should I try to install an older version perhaps? Thanks.
Is there a registry entry that tells the service where to create and access the database and settings files? It's almost as if it can't see "C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD" or doesn't know where to look.
When the service starts it writes a few things to the event viewer... one of which is info on where it is looking for data files. Please go to the event viewer and under Windows Logs -> Application you should see the entries around the time the service starts. There should be one that says something like this:
There seems to be 2 different possible data directories. The Windows 8 install that was working fine uses "c:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD". The one that was giving me troubles is using "c:\ProgramData\RecordedTVHD". These were both fresh installs (had never been installed on either PC before) from v1.9.0 so I'm not sure why there is the discrepancy. In any case, I copied the directory from the working PC to "c:\ProgramData\RecordedTVHD" on the problem PC and other than a little initial strangeness with the menu strip it seems to be working fine now. Thanks.
I had the same problem. I fixed it by copying the data base info from my windows 7. Machine. After that everything works fine. I had the same problem on another machine with newly installed windows 8. Resolved it the same way. Actually it required copying more then just the database over.
Also there's a problem with the "Directories to Watch". They are blank after 1.90 install. This is the other file I had to copy over. I also had to leave the option to "Watch same libraries as media center does" on checked. If checked it deletes the watch directory file and you can't stop recorded TV settings. Once the file is copied over from my windows 7 machine I was able to add or take away libraries.