Fresh Install, Win8.1 Pro, Service just remains IDLE

Fresh Install, Win8.1 Pro, Service just remains IDLE

vacogroup
As per the subject, just re-installed Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on a PC I was having some software issues with thinking this would solve all the issues.  Everything loaded up with a pretty bare-bones installation of Windows.  Ran Recorded TV HD (v. 1.9.5) and it installed and started up fine.
The service is running but it just stays IDLE and finds none of my recordings on my WHS2011 RecordedTV folder, which is being monitored.

The default Recorded TV app in Media Centre finds everything, but not Recorded TV HD.  So even a fresh install has not fixed this issue.  The program is clearly that the Service is not doing anything.  This PC has the same setup as at least one other PC within my house, so I know it can work, and I do have Recorded TV HD working on older W7 boxes.

Re: Fresh Install, Win8.1 Pro, Service just remains IDLE

Not exactly sure if this is needed, but have you run TV setup on this computer?

If that isn't it, for some reason I've seen a lot of issues with permissions with WHS. Maybe try using the IP address instead of the hostname. If you are using the custom directories to watch using the Recorded TV HD Settings program you should have a file here:
C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\DirsToWatch.txt

Just open that up, and switch it to the IP address and save it. It should recognize the change within a few minutes, but if not you can just restart the Recorded TV HD Service.

Re: Fresh Install, Win8.1 Pro, Service just remains IDLE

vacogroup
Yes, Media Center and TV Setup are up and running already.  I got the guide all fully setup first and live TV working with my tuners before I even installed Recorded TV HD.

I currently have it set to watch the same folders as Media Center.  I will try disabling that check option and editting that TXT file as you have suggested.

Re: Fresh Install, Win8.1 Pro, Service just remains IDLE

vacogroup
The IP suggestion made absolutely no difference.  BUT....

I solved the problem!!!
All this talk about usernames and directory rights got me thinking.  I was trying to figure out what I might have done differently on these Windows 8.1 boxes than the other installations I had done and it finally dawned on me...
Of all things, the problem was that I was using a Microsoft Account, rather than a local user account!
My LAN user id is "michael", seems sensible seeing as it's my name.  :)  On the two Windows 8.1 PCs (kid PCs) that I've been having problems with, I had decided to use a Microsoft Account to login because of requirements for online access to Microsoft Parental Controls.  Bad move - when I switched I was anticipating there might come a day where I'd run into LAN permission issues, but I had forgotten about it until just now.  My "michael" account, which I was entering into Recorded TV HD was not properly authenticating because on this PC, that account probably doesn't exist in the same way a local account does.  I say that because although I DO still have directory access to everything on my LAN that my "michael" account normally has access to, I don't know exactly how the Microsoft Account is accessing those resources to be completely frank - I've tried to research this and have not found the answer yet.

So I changed Recorded TV HD to use my kid's username and password (which has folder access to my Recorded TV folder on my WHS 2011 box), and immediately Recorded TV HD Service started running and doing it's job.

I hope this post saves someone the massive headache I've brought upon myself.

Re: Fresh Install, Win8.1 Pro, Service just remains IDLE

Great! Thanks for sharing!