Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

12

Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

Mickey30306
Hi - has anyone had any problems with Record TV HD when navigating to the Record TV HD movies menu after watching live TV?

When I am watching live TV via my Xbox 360 as an extender, I'll go into the Movie section and the menu freezes. I need to reboot the Xbox 360 to get this started again.

Any suggestion on how to fix the "hang up"?

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

Manny1967
This post was updated on .
First, I think this is the best software plug in I have ever had for my HTPC.

I've experienced the same thing.  I watch live TV for a while, then I go to the movie section and the system freezes on my Xbox 360 extender.

I have no idea why.  I don't experience that problem on the HTPC, but only on 2 of my Xbox 360 in extender mode.

Maybe the MJT can advise us on how best to resolve this bug.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

I'm currently adjusting some things that should improve performance. "Maybe" it will help with things like this.

Thanks.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

CaseV7
I'm still seeing this problem in the latest betas. I can't get the exact repro steps down, but something to do with backing out of recorded tv hd to the main menu after watching something.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

When you say "main menu" do you mean in Recorded TV HD or closing out of Recorded TV HD and going back to Media Center's main menu?

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

CaseV7
When I say "main menu" I mean the start menu. Hitting the back button on the remote until I'm out of Recorded TV HD, or pressing the green button, then attempting to re-launch Recorded TV HD will cause it to freeze the whole Xbox. I have to power off and restart media center again to do anything.

This didn't used to happen on extenders, but I unfortunately don't have an exact timeline as to when this was introduced.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

CaseV7
Ok I think I have steps to reproduce.

On Xbox 360:
1. Start Recorded TV HD
2. Open guide using guide button on remote, start a live program
3. Press the Green Button to return to start
4. Open Recorded TV HD from start

This will usually cause the entire interface to freeze (although live programming will continue to play but you now have no control over it).

If this doesn't cause it to freeze, I can usually get it to happen by hitting the back button (to get back to start), and entering Recorded TV HD again.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

LanceWebb
This is the problem I keep having after upgrade v1.8.x, not an issue before running v1.7.28.  I also can reproduce this.

After using RecordedTVHD and watching a show if back all the way out (or Green Button) to the main WMC interface, then clicking RecordedTVHD it locks up about half the time. But this also happen sometimes when clicking the Guide or Scheduled, which are in my RecordedTVHD custom Menu Strip.  When it locks up, you hear tone that you clicked on RecordedTVHD, but nothing happens. You no long have any control, remote is useless, and have to restart.

This happens on the XBOX and HTPC.  You have to restart or on the PC you can log off and back on.... XBOX Dashboard and back to WMC.  Basically have to restart the session.  It never locks up the first time going in.  It locks up after you have been using it a while and go back to the main WMC screen and then back into RecordedTVHD.

Windows 8  64bit
RecordedTVHD v1.8.3

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

I can't seem to be able to reproduce either by following your steps. Have either of you tried to change the following option?

Recorded TV HD Settings (in Media Center) -> "Menu Strip, ..." -> "Other Interface Options" -> "Go back to Recorded TV HD home screen when pressing recorded tv button or relaunching from Media Center start screen."

That might make a difference, although I tested with both and can't get it to freeze.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

LanceWebb
Yes, it was checked for me. I will try with it unchecked.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

Polen
Sry to post to this old post, but this is happening to me.

I'm using version 1.9.5 with Windows 8.1.

When I was using Win7 and Recorded TV HD. I was frequently getting a messagebox in the lower right of screen saying that Recorded TV HD had a problem and need to be closed. This would even happen while I was watching a recording.

Now with Win81 I don't see this messagebox anymore, but I now get MC start menu lockups at random times, but frequently. The lock up happens when I launch any item on the Recorded TV HD MC menu strip.

I see nothing in the eventlogs to indicate a problem. If you have log files I'm not sure where they are. Is there a way to turn on debug logging? The xbox is not locked up because I can exit MC to the Xbox Dashboard.

Thanks for this product and MyMemories.

-Polen

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

I'll look into it some more. I have one idea. Thanks.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

Please look for a log file here and let me know if it says anything at the times that this happens...

C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\MediaCenterDebug.txt

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

Polen
That file does not exist.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

tletourneau
Have there been any updates to this? I've been having the same type of problem randomly on my system for some time and I also do not have a debug file. It locks up the extender, if I close MCE and go into Xbox for about 30 to 45 seconds and go back into MCE mode and open RecordedTV HD it comes up fine. It seems to happen when I am trying to go back in the RecordedTV HD main menu from a program either by deleting the recording or just exiting to the RTVHD menu. It can be annoying and is having an impact on the WAF.

Please let me know what I can do to help diagnose and resolve this!

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

Polen
Still locks up for me, but the problem is not Recorded TV HD, it with any add-on to Windows 8/8.1 Media Center. It just so happens that Recorded TV HD is used much frequently than any other Add-on so it looks like it's the problem. Pick any Add-on and open it and exit to WMC Main Menu over and over and you will get a lockup.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

tletourneau
I don't use any other add-ons that are accessible that way. The only other things I've added are DVRMS Toolbox, ComSkip & My Channel Logos XL. Also, I am on Windows 7.

Re: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

groovydude
Anything new on this?  I too have now started experiencing this issue.  Am able to replicate it on both my 360 extenders by simply going to the Movies screen -- immediate freeze.  All other functions work fine and the movies function works on the desktops.

The only other add-on I have installed is the channel logos, which I don't think come into play with Movies and is likely not part of the issue.

RE: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

Windows 8? I've seen that all 3rd party Media Center addins are having troubles on extenders with Windows 8. Some addins just get used a lot more than others and it is easier to see the problem that way.

RE: Freezes with Xbox 360 Extender

groovydude
Yes, unfortunately it is Windows 8.  Crap!  It was working... not sure what had changed.  Guess I'm just out of luck. :(
12