External Player

12

External Player

danofun
How about an option to use an external player (with optional parameters) for a specified file type.  I currently use madVR decoders in mpc-hc and have mediabrowser configured to launch mpc-hc when an mkv file is opened.  The transitions to and from the external player are seamless and already in place thanks to mpc-hc.  I use parameters:

"{0}" /new /play /fullscreen /close

What would be needed on the Recorded TV HD end is an external player tab where file types could be specified, an external player could be chosen,  and optional parameters could be entered.  Thoughts?!

Thank you again for creating this great piece of software!

Re: External Player

Maybe... the more demand, the higher the priority.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: External Player

tyborg
I would love to see this as well. I am using zoom player with media browser now, but would love to switch.

Re: External Player

kmanus
Went searching for this exact topic, count me in as someone who would love to see this feature.  I've tested .wtv files in an external player (mpc-hc) and the difference using madvr and avi-synth scripts blows the stock windows EVR  renderer away.

I really want to be able to do this, but I don't want to trade the Recordedtv HD interface for a roundabout setup in Media Browser.

There are a few free wmc plugins that have been recently released that do this for the standard windows movie library (not sure if one exists for the standard recordings library.)  There is also a plug in "Mikhino Open With" that I might try out, it does a registry hack that changes wmc's default player to one you specify...

Re: External Player

Beaker1024
I have not researched this but if you can get truly better A/V fidelity (quality) could adding this feature (w/easy enough options and setup for those not into manual tweaks and multiple add-ins) add another marketing advantage for RecordedHDTV?

I know I'd give it a try but won't do it through the current methods of tweaks and outside of RHDTV.

I'd imagine a bullet point that RHDTV allows for better video rendering possibilities could be a new selling point?

PS - I think we all want to see RHDTV to keep growing both user base and development wise as it's such a great addition that is used daily.

Re: External Player

kmanus
Selecting an external player isn't something I'd classify as advanced for the end user.  The way that Media Browser and XBMC implement it is pretty straight-forward.

Getting maximum PQ by using Lav Filters, MadVR, Avi-synth filters and MPC-HC/MPC-BE/PoyPlayer, etc..,  is something I would classify as advanced, as there is a lot to it via the software and your individual hardware.

It would be a feature that could attract a few more users, although many can already do something similar through registry hacks.  I would love to see it in RecordedTV HD though...

Re: External Player

danofun
It's been over a year since I originally proposed the incorporation of an external player option. I'm very glad to see others are interested in this feature as well and the lack of this option is the only reason I'm still using MediaBrowser for .mkv files.  MJT, any chance of seeing this added as a feature?!

Re: External Player

kmanus
Has there been any progress on this, or is it ever going to be an option? I would assume some functionality like "resume" would have to be disabled, but I'm fine with that.  There have been a few plug-ins and registry tweaks released recently allowing external player support for the WMC stock movies client, but nothing of the sort for Recorded TV.

Re: External Player

Technically this should not be difficult. I haven't ever used an external player before. I assume that when the video is finished playing the user has to close out the external software and hit the green button to get Media Center up again?

Re: External Player

russelms
I vote for this feature!! I've been waiting for someone to implement this besides the pricey MyMovies version that costs like $100.

I use mpc-hc with madvr via mediabrowser and when a video is done it just returns to WMC without the need to hit a button.

External players to avoid EVR is a big desire in the community one which XBMC and others like mediaportal provide through user base support.

Re: External Player

kmanus
MJT Software wrote
Technically this should not be difficult. I haven't ever used an external player before. I assume that when the video is finished playing the user has to close out the external software and hit the green button to get Media Center up again?
Media Browser and XBMC do it by minimizing the application and launching the video in an external player.  Some type of listener is started, and when the external player is closed, the original application resumes full screen.

Re: External Player

Just so you all know.... this feature is coming in the next beta.... probably going to be released within a few days to a week.

Re: External Player

I released the beta version last night. Let me know how it works for you.

Latest beta info and download

Re: External Player

danofun
I had kind of unwillingly discarded this feature request into the "never gonna happen" pile... Thank you MJT for the time and effort!!! I'll do some testing this weekend and report back.

Re: External Player

kmanus
I downloaded the Beta update last night, and everything is working great so far.  I love that you added the feature to set specific players for file types.  Only glitch I saw was that when I clicked on the "Resume" option, it loaded the movie in the WMC player, which is not a big deal to me.

This is a great feature, and improves an already great piece of software.  I'm going to be upgrading to a whole house license in the next few days, as this now adds all the features I want from RTVHD.  I'm also going to start experimenting with playing back my stored movies and tv series using RTVHD, and see how feasible it would be in my setup, as a Media Browser replacement.

Again, great job!

Re: External Player

tzr916
Just so you all know.... this feature is coming in the next beta....
I have also been wanting this feature. Looked at other ways but nothing panned out. I will be trying try it out and if it works will buy for this feature alone.

Re: External Player

tzr916
This post was updated on .
I installed the trial on my HTPC. Open with external player works sometimes. 90% of the time when I select play from RTVHD the external player (zoom player) starts playing but all I see is the blue WMC background. Zoom Player is behind/under WMC. Or if it does play on top then I can still see one thin line along the botton which is actually the windows taskbar. I can use a keyboard to bring the zoom player window to the front but shouldn't have to. After watching the Tv show, closing zoom player works fine every time, takes me back to RTVHD.

Re: External Player

It is supposed to automatically minimize Media Center and then maximize it when your external player closes. Anybody else having this problem?

Re: External Player

tzr916
It seems to have corrected itself. Working good now. Thanks.

Re: External Player

tzr916
Still buggy, seems hit and miss, with no pattern, about 50% I have to fiddle with WMC to get the external player on top properly.

EDIT: Set my external player to Always On Top and fixed my problem. Now working perfectly...
12