Expected Behavior?

dopdahl
Using the latest beta...

When a recorded show is allowed to play all the way through to the very end, a few seconds after the playback stops, the show fades into a blank media center background.  Nothing there.  Nada.

Hitting the 'back' button causes RTVHD to display itself.

Am I the only one seeing this issue?  I would assume that at the end of playback, it should just fall back into the RTVHD interface automagically.

I've also got a request.  If a show is allowed to play completely through, can you automagically reset the resume point to the start of the show.  How can you resume at the end?  I guess it makes sense to leave the % viewed at 100%.

This is sort of a usability thing.  If you go back in to watch the show again, Resume is right there as the first option, the npt should really be reset to 0 so you don't have to arrow over to Play.

If the resume point is derived from the % viewed value, then we've got trouble.  They should be 2 separate values IMVHO.

Paid up user, and darned happy about it.  Thanks!

Re: Expected Behavior?

dopdahl
Oh yeah.  And one other thing.

I'm using single row posterboard view (if that's what it's called).

If you arrow through to the left, the highlighted folder is approximately in the center of the screen.
If you arrow through to the right, the highlighted folder shifts almost all the way to the left edge.

(I could have the above stuff backwards, but either way, it's not consistent)

Should the highlighted folder not always be in the center of the screen as long as there are more posterboards than the width of a single screen?  Especially considering that scrolling wraps?

Re: Expected Behavior?

Don't have much time, but I am able to reproduce your issue.... It seems that if the commercial skip viewer is on the screen when the recording ends it closes the commercial skip viewer but leaves the "playing" video up on the screen instead of going back.

I'll work on fixing that. I'll also give your other suggestions some thought.

Re: Expected Behavior?

dopdahl
That makes sense...  since I record 1 minute past the end of the show block, I almost always have a commercial break at the very end of the show....

Thanks,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM, MJT Software [via Recorded TV HD Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't have much time, but I am able to reproduce your issue.... It seems that if the commercial skip viewer is on the screen when the recording ends it closes the commercial skip viewer but leaves the "playing" video up on the screen instead of going back.

I'll work on fixing that. I'll also give your other suggestions some thought.

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Expected-Behavior-tp5481068p5481125.html
To unsubscribe from Expected Behavior?, click here.
NAML

Re: Expected Behavior?

dopdahl
I saw this same problem again, but got into it a different way.

Watching a show, commercial skip on automatic but it was a bad one, so I hit the <left> button while the commercial skip view was visible to jump back to the beginning of the commercial block.

It jumped fine, but then the show just faded into the background and all I had up was the blank background although I could still hear the show playing.

Hitting the green button got me to the main menu, and could select 'Now playing' (which I could see playing in the preview window). It came up and then faded to the blank media center screen again.

Ultimately I think I even got the RTVHD program to close (but the commercial skip thread or app was still running in this funky state).  Pretty clear it's the commercial skip screen cuz it eats keypresses and only lets certain ones through.  I was able to green button to the main menu, go into recorded tv, main screen came up, pick a different show, select play, new show plays but still immediately fades away.

Ultimately had to restart media center to clear it up.  And then couldn't duplicate it.

Re: Expected Behavior?

I've seen this several times, but have found no way to reproduce or to fix it. At this point I have no idea what causes it, but if someone (including myself) finds some way to reproduce it or has some idea as to why it is occurring I might be able to prevent it from happening.

Re: Expected Behavior?

dopdahl
Seems to happen pretty regularly to me if comskip viewer is up when a video terminates because it has reached the end of playback.  It also happens randomly when I issue skip forward or skip back commands when the comskip viewer is up.  I do have Media Center Video Transitions enabled as one more datapoint.

You could try tweaking a commercial skip xml to skip you right up to the last second or so.  That way the comskip viewer will still be up when the video terminates.  I've also seen MediaCenter give me an "Application Not Responding" message box *sometimes* when this occurs.

If you can't find a fix for this, could you add an option to disable it?

It's really not necessary, so I could live without it.  It's a pain to have to restart MediaCenter to clear up the funk when it happens... which is often for me.  But I watch almost all of my tv as recorded tv...

Re: Expected Behavior?

You can disable the commercial break viewer in the settings program under the "Appearance" tab.

Re: Expected Behavior?

dopdahl
thx

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM, MJT Software [via Recorded TV HD Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can disable the commercial break viewer in the settings program under the "Appearance" tab.

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Expected-Behavior-tp5481068p5496194.html
To unsubscribe from Expected Behavior?, click here.
NAML

Re: Expected Behavior?

If you can, please try out the latest beta and let me know if you are still having issues with the commercial break viewer. I've been testing my "fix" for at least a couple of weeks and I haven't had it freeze or stick on the media center background at all in that period. It also seems to be faster, but that just might be a placebo :)

Latest Beta Info and Download

Re: Expected Behavior?

dopdahl
I'll check it out, thanks.

RTVHD still locks up on me consistently when it isn't properly exited by 'back'ing all the way out to the main MCE menu (with comm. skip viewer off or on)

Re: Expected Behavior?

When you say "locks up" do you mean that Media Center gives you an error saying that Recorded TV HD has stopped responding or that it actually locks up? Have you been able to check the event viewer for the same time of the error message if there was one?

Re: Expected Behavior?

dopdahl
I've looked but have never seen RTVHD throw an event when this occurs.

It does not appear to happen on my extenders... only on my PC, but on my extender, I always have to back out to the main menu before switching to live tv cuz of the way my remote is setup.

I may have gotten an error box once or twice... but dozens of times when my kids don't back all of the way out of RTVHD and they start watching live TV, I'll jump directly into RTVHD and all I will have is the MCE background.  I run with comm. skip viewer off.

Once RTVHD is in that mode, only a restart of MediaCenter will fix it.  Really seems like RTVHD is stuck in a mutex or some other event object or in a thread deadlock because I haven't noticed increased CPU usage when this occurs...  I can then try to 'back' my way out of TV and into the running RTVHD app and it's the same... just the Media Center background.

Happens every time my kids fail to 'back' out (which I assume closes the RTVHD plugin), but it takes some time (hours?) before it stops responding.  I'm running an i5.  I'm going to try to force the Media center UI to run on a single CPU... I'll let you know what happens.

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Expected-Behavior-tp5481068p5706768.html