I'm running window 8 (not 8.1 to my knowledge) and I'm having the same issues as the above post. It also will not allow me to stop the service even though I'm an administrator.... so I can't uninstall or do anything! HELP
Can you please try out the latest beta and let me know if it is still a problem? Sounds like you'll need to kill the RecordedTVHDService.exe process using the task manager before installing the update.
It installed on my windows 8 tablet with no problems. I'm not sure why I'm having such a tough time on the desktop.
The errors are:
"Error retrieving directories to watch."
"Could not locate database file. Please start the service so a database file can be created. Once the service has started please open up the settings program again."
C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD does exist and has three subfolders: database, Images, xml
There are subfolders, but they are all empty.
When I run WMC, Recorded TV HD shows up, but when I click on it WMC freezes.
I found a MediaCenterDebug file in C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD and the beginning says:
10/14/2013 5:42:47 PM - SQLite error
no such table: Series at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare(SQLiteConnection cnn, String strSql, SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, String& strRemain)
I have no idea why this is an issue. I changed WMC to store my recorded tv from my SSD drive to the backup hard drive and everything started working. The SSD drive had over 50 gigs free, so it wasn't limited in space. The only other difference was I actually had a WMC window open when I ran set up this time.....
I am having the same problem. I had this working on my original computer and am setting up a new Win 8.1 box and on first install on this new box I am getting both errors. (series load error and could not locate database). I have tried this three times even restoring to a previous restore point where RTVHD was not installed yet and get these errors on all install tries. Also tried all the steps discussed here but nothing seems to change it.
Any luck figuring out root cause or solution?
Thanks for the great software and can't live without it.
The programdata is: programdata = c:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\
This directory exists and has a database folder but does not have a db file inside it only an empty bookmarks folder.
Not sure if this is helpful but this error showed up a couple of times in the event viewer
<Data>Unhandled exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at RecordedTVHDService.Service1.OnStart(String args)</Data>
Just as a quick update I tried to do a backup from my old computer and restore on the new computer with the issues it gave me a few errors but seems to have worked. I can now see all of the info from the old computer and am not getting the database file errors. I did get a new error that related to being able to logon as a service but after restarting it went away. I do still have an issue with being able to stop the server and restart it (simple dialog box that says could not stop service) but am able to change settings.
If it helps I do have a backup from before the RTVHD restore that I can go back and help figure out the original problem.
the login error was a red herring that I borked... I accidentally logged in to the machine with a MS account instead of a local system account so that was the reason for that. Known issue... There is another weird behavior that I noticed and will document at the bottom.
Now back to the real issue...
The directory error seems to always happen (regardless of the above changes) when the "watch same libraries as Media Center" check box is selected. If I kill the RTVHD service manually (can do it from RTVHD setting app because of error) and uncheck that box, add a new folder to watch everything works swimmingly. Would be nice to have the option to manage within media center since the family really only uses an xbox to interface, but having it working again with this work around is great.
Also as an aside every time I ran into the Directories issue it reset the service away from the Local account option to the defined account logon.
I am going to restore a windows backup to fresh media center install and try these steps again just to validate it all works. If it does I will try to post with the steps for my resolution so maybe it can help others.