Errors retrieving directories to watch

legalsin
http://www.recordedtvhd.com/forum/#nabble-td5708382

I'm running window 8 (not 8.1 to my knowledge) and I'm having the same issues as the above post.  It also will not allow me to stop the service even though I'm an administrator.... so I can't uninstall or do anything! HELP

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

Can you please try out the latest beta and let me know if it is still a problem? Sounds like you'll need to kill the RecordedTVHDService.exe process using the task manager before installing the update.

Latest beta info and download

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

legalsin
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll report back

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

legalsin
Killed the service, uninstalled, rebooted, installed the beta, same exact error :\

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

What exact error are you getting? It seemed there were a couple of things going on in that thread. Did you try any of the things they suggested?

Also, please take a look at the event viewer and let me know if you see anything that looks like it is of importance.

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

legalsin
It installed on my windows 8 tablet with no problems.  I'm not sure why I'm having such a tough time on the desktop.

The errors are:
"Error retrieving directories to watch."
"Could not locate database file. Please start the service so a database file can be created.  Once the service has started please open up the settings program again."

C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD does exist and has three subfolders: database, Images, xml
There are subfolders, but they are all empty.

When I run WMC, Recorded TV HD shows up, but when I click on it WMC freezes.

I found a MediaCenterDebug file in C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD and the beginning says:
10/14/2013 5:42:47 PM - SQLite error
no such table: Series   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare(SQLiteConnection cnn, String strSql, SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, String& strRemain)

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

legalsin
FIXED
I have no idea why this is an issue.  I changed WMC to store my recorded tv from my SSD drive to the backup hard drive and everything started working.  The SSD drive had over 50 gigs free, so it wasn't limited in space.  The only other difference was I actually had a WMC window open when I ran set up this time.....

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

Odd. Not really sure what happened, but I'm glad you got it working!

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

brian.campo
I am having the same problem.  I had this working on my original computer and am setting up a new Win 8.1 box and on first install on this new box I am getting both errors.  (series load error and could not locate database).  I have tried this three times even restoring to a previous restore point where RTVHD was not installed yet and get these errors on all install tries. Also tried all the steps discussed here but nothing seems to change it.

Any luck figuring out root cause or solution?

Thanks for the great software and can't live without it.

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

When the service does start, where does it say the "programdata = "?
Not sure if it matters, but have you run TV setup on this computer?

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

brian.campo
Where would I find the programdata value?

I tried it both ways... on the latest reinstall I tried to do it before the tv setup but on the previous try it was after tv setup and livetv was verified working.

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

Take a look in the Application section in the Event Viewer.

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

brian.campo
The programdata is: programdata = c:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\

This directory exists and has a database folder but does not have a db file inside it  only an empty bookmarks folder.

Not sure if this is helpful but this error showed up a couple of times in the event viewer
  <Data>Unhandled exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at RecordedTVHDService.Service1.OnStart(String[] args)</Data>

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

brian.campo
Just as a quick update I tried to do a backup from my old computer and restore on the new computer with the issues it gave me a few errors but seems to have worked.  I can now see all of the info from the old computer and am not getting the database file errors. I did get a new error that related to being able to logon as a service but after restarting it went away.  I do still have an issue with being able to stop the server and restart it (simple dialog box that says could not stop service) but am able to change settings.

If it helps I do have a backup from before the RTVHD restore that I can go back and help figure out the original problem.

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

brian.campo
Well it looked like it was working but no luck.  It does show some setting that were pulled in from the import but the service is not working.

The error that is coming through now is in the service itself and is:  account name is invalid or does not exist or password is invalid for the account name specified.

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

Go to the Windows Services and right-click on Recorded TV HD Service and go to properties. Then go the the Log On tab and select the Local System account. Then try to start the service.

If you're monitoring UNC paths try setting the username and password of the local machine in the Recorded TV HD Settings (or on that tab you were on) and see if it works.

Re: Errors retrieving directories to watch

brian.campo
the login error was a red herring that I borked... I accidentally logged in to the machine with a MS account instead of a local system account so that was the reason for that.  Known issue...  There is another weird behavior that I noticed and will document at the bottom.

Now back to the real issue...
The directory error seems to always happen (regardless of the above changes) when the "watch same libraries as Media Center" check box is selected.  If I kill the RTVHD service manually (can do it from RTVHD setting app because of error) and uncheck that box, add a new folder to watch everything works swimmingly.  Would be nice to have the option to manage within media center since the family really only uses an xbox to interface, but having it working again with this work around is great.

Also as an aside every time I ran into the Directories issue it reset the service away from the Local account option to the defined account logon.

I am going to restore a windows backup to fresh media center install and try these steps again just to validate it all works.  If it does I will try to post with the steps for my resolution so maybe it can help others.