Erratic Behavior with NAS

RampantRedsFan
I want to start by saying I enjoy the software and it is the best product of its type on the market.

I had almost no trouble with the product when I was simply using the product with an internal drive in a standard media center setup. Since I have moved to a NAS set up I have had a good deal of problems with identification. Let me explain my set up in order to help you understand my issues:

In my HTPC I have a dedicated drive to being a temporary container for holding files while they are being recorded. Upon completion of the recording I have a Windows service set up to copy the file over to the NAS. Both folders are set up to be included in RecordedTVHD. I also have a few folders that contain ripped (I own the media) DVDs and TV shows.

When I first started using the NAS I noticed that a number of shows that were identified in while on a local drive were now going unidentified on the NAS. I assumed that these were because the shows were generic (sports talk) shows and potentially they had fallen off the show DB. I manually deleted these episodes and moved on.

I then started noticing that it seemed like the RTVHD service would cease to work periodically. I would come home from work and find that no recordings had been identified. I looked in the settings and found that they were all unidentified. I stopped and restarted the service and they would be identified. This happened about 4/5 days so I scheduled a Windows task that stops and starts the service every 15 minutes. This seems to have mostly cleared up this issue. Please let me know if this practice is advisable.

I am also having some ID problems that cannot be solved by restarting the service. I recently moved all episodes of a show (ripped from DVD) to a different folder (both monitored, both on the NAS). I found that RTVHD was slow to update the references, and when it did update it dropped 2/3 of the episodes and put them into unidentified. I then moved all of the episodes to a monitored folder on a local drive and all were identified. I then moved them back to the original location on the NAS and all but 1 was identified. I can't seem to find a pattern other than moving them off then back on the NAS causes them to be seen as a totally different file, but that still doesn't explain the 1 unidentified.

I know I'm throwing a lot out here. I appreciate anyone/everyone's insight on my issues. I would be happy to provide logs/diagnostics/etc.

Re: Erratic Behavior with NAS

RampantRedsFan
No help? Does anyone have any experience with network storage and RTVHD? If so are you running into similar issues?

How about this: Why would a show be in my "Unidentified Files" in spite of the fact that exactly like named files are recognized?

Re: Erratic Behavior with NAS

Sorry about not responding...

I don't use a NAS, but I actually have tested the Recorded TV HD service identifying files remotely over a VPN and that seemed to work pretty well. I have seen others say that sometimes they have to restart the service for it to identify files... like it gets stuck or something. I have yet to find a solution.

If you get me a file name of one that isn't being identified I can debug it and let you know what I find.

Thanks.

Re: Erratic Behavior with NAS

RampantRedsFan
Here are a few of the many... It seems like all of the files are coming through with metadata in the properties of the files, but could there be an issue with robocopy not bringing over other metadata that your program relies on?

Re: Erratic Behavior with NAS

bts0004
I could be completely misremembering this, but I could have sworn I had come across an article somewhere about this being an issue with NAS and WMC, in general.  I think maybe if you were running WHS, it was fine, but a "regular" NAS would not work.  Can't recall the specifics.

At one time, I was storing recordings on my Synology, and ran into a similar situation.  In the end, I gave up and moved them back to local drives and everything's fine again.