Enhancement: recycvle duplicate recordings

Enhancement: recycvle duplicate recordings

tony_park
Hi

I'd really love it if there was an option for all duplicate recordings to be recycled. We've just started recording pepper pig for our 10 month old, and in the last 24 hours, 64+ recordings have happened for that program alone. Needless to say, that were a large number of duplicates.

Thanks
Tony

Re: Enhancement: recycvle duplicate recordings

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
For children's programming such as Peppa Pig that airs the same episode multiple times per day and where the guide information is generic so that every airing is considered unique and therefore recorded, I worked around this by doing the following:

I determine one of the show's daily timeslots (example: 11AM-11:30AM).  Then, in the Series Settings in WMC, I set the series to record airings only in the 11AM timeslot.  Further, because I record so many different shows for the kids for an on-demand experience but wish to conserve hard drive space, I have each series set to only record 10 Recordings and to keep the Latest Recordings.  This only keeps the last two weeks worth of recordings, deleting the oldest one when recording a new one.  The kids know to watch the older episodes first.  Also, for those kids shows that are not truly HD when they air on HD channels, I opt to record those particular shows on SD channels.

For shows that the kids really like (such as Curious George or Super WHY!), I keep all of the recordings instead of doing Latest Recordings.  When recording shows where I intend to keep more than the Latest Recordings, I make sure to record them on channels with complete guide information (such as PBS channels) and avoid channels with generic guide information (such as Sprout) if possible.

For other programming, duplicate recording deletion would be helpful, particularly for these scenarios:
* Recording reruns to eventually record a missing episode
* Being able to mark a recording as bad (e.g., not HD, having an election-day ticker banner, video/audio issues at the broadcaster, etc.) to keep it until the episode re-airs, in which case the new episode should auto-replace the old one

I hope this information is helpful to you.

MoRBiD