Ehres.dll problem/question...

pezboy
I was wondering if you could tell me what the 'automatically update' feature does and if RTH has any code that effects ehres.dll. I have an HTPC setup with a Ceton InfiniTV4 card and I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue with the card and WMC displaying a 'weak signal' message after tuning to a channel. I've been going back and forth with Ceton support and we've narrowed it down to a problem with the ehres.dll file. I can fix the issue using SFC (system file checker), but it seems everyday around 4pm, ehshell.exe closes and my extenders lose the connection to my HTPC, and upon reconnection the problem is there again. Running SFC again solves the problem, but I am trying to figure out what is causing it to begin with. Your help (if you have any to offer) would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ehres.dll problem/question...

My update feature simply checks my website to see if there is an updated version of Recorded TV HD. If there is it will prompt and ask if you would like to download and install it.

Recorded TV HD does contain any code that touches ehres.dll. I do not believe the problem is with Recorded TV HD, BUT I suppose it is possible that Microsoft's code that allows 3rd party developers to write plugins could cause an error, but I highly doubt it.

Re: Ehres.dll problem/question...

pezboy
Thanks for the reply. I was able to narrow the cause of the problem down to another app I was using that was triggering unscheduled rewrites to the ehres.dll file which in turn caused my tuners to crash. I am glad I was able to eliminate RTH as the cause, I would hate to have to go back to the crappy MC7 Recorded TV interface and functionality (or lack thereof).

Re: Ehres.dll problem/question...

chrisdfw
This may not be it but have you installed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2708283

Re: Ehres.dll problem/question...

pezboy
Thanks chrisdfw, but I tried that and it didn't work. Turns out it was another program I was using called MCE7Reset Toolbox. It would rewrite the ehres.dll file and conflict with the way WMC would tune channels with the Ceton card. I had to open a support ticket with Ceton and it took us about two weeks to narrow it down, but after uninstalling that program the problem went away. Thanks again for the suggestion, it's great to have a forum like this where fellow HTPC enthusiasts can help each other out.