Crash

123

Crash

mogulman
I'm still having the recordtvhd service crashing intermittently.  I'll try and see if I can find anything in the logs tomorrow.   Today it happened after recycling a program.

Re: Crash

mogulman
I noticed the following info in my App log on my HTPC.  Could this be related:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        RecordedTVHDService
Date:          8/15/2012 9:25:07 PM
Event ID:      0
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
CheckMoveToRecycleBin The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\NeedToRecycle.txt' because it is being used by another process.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="RecordedTVHDService" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <EventRecordID>26606</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>jbeer-htpc</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>CheckMoveToRecycleBin The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\NeedToRecycle.txt' because it is being used by another process.</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Also, is there somewhere for me to check the version of RecordedTVHD?  I tried using properties on the .exe files, but it doesn't look like they are being updated.

Re: Crash

Thanks I'll take a look.

For the version go into the Recorded TV HD settings (inside Media Center) it is at the bottom of the screen.

Re: Crash

mogulman
I couldn't find anything in any other logs.  Nothing about the RecordedTVHD service crashing.  Is there some place I should be finding this?

Re: Crash

mogulman
ok...it is 1.7.13.

Re: Crash

It would be in the event viewer where you are looking. A service crash is usually really hard to debug. Look for the "Source" being "Windows Error Reporting" and it's level being "Information" - It should say RecordedTVHDService.exe under "P1" I think.

It usually doesn't give me too much valuable info, but sometimes it does.

Re: Crash

mogulman
No other information or errors.  I did a search also.

Re: Crash

mogulman
I had to go back to 1.7.3.  I'll see how 1.7.3 works for a while.

1.7.13 was crashing and also causing media center to crash.   It happened a few times while I was trying to watch something and then a few recordings got chopped or corrupted.

Re: Crash

Huh... wish I knew what was going on. I haven't seen any issues, but I haven't really been using it as much as usual because there isn't much good on tv these days... Anybody else seeing any crashing issues with1.7.13? Either Media Center crashing or the service or both?

Re: Crash

tradetek
Pretty much everyday. Seems to have started when I turned on the recycle bin. I restored everything from the recycle bin last night and then disabled it and am going to see if it becomes more stable.

Note that the crash was not only causing RTVHD to crash but was actually causing WMC to crash!

Is there a way to completely dump and rebuild the RTVHD database to make sure that there isn't any corruption in it?

Re: Crash

Let me know about the recycle bin..... I've been using the recycle bin since I've enabled the feature and haven't had any problems, but who knows.

It's your call on the database.... I really don't think that is the problem, but if you really want to delete the database and start from scratch all you have to do is stop the service, rename (to keep a backup) "C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\database\RecordedTVHDdb.s3db" and then start the service again. This will delete all your favorites too.

Re: Crash

tradetek
Thanks, if disabling the recycle bin does not clear up the problem, I'll reset the database and see if that does the trick as I've noticed that there are issues with looking at the scheduled recordings also which is why I wanted that tidbit in my back pocket...

Re: Crash

Scheduled recordings is in a different database in the same folder. Not sure what issues you are having...

Re: Crash

chrisdfw
Do have it set up to scan D:\ or D:\Recorded TV?   If its D:\  change it to the subfolder and test.

Re: Crash

mogulman
chrisdfw wrote
Do have it set up to scan D:\ or D:\Recorded TV?   If its D:\  change it to the subfolder and test.
No I don't have it set up with d:\

Re: Crash

mogulman
BTW.. I'm using the Recycling Bin also.  You probably knew this from the message above.

Interesting thing is I still see the error message: in my app log:
CheckMoveToRecycleBin The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\NeedToRecycle.txt' because it is being used by another process.

I checked in this folder and there is no TXT file like this.

Re: Crash

That file only exists when a file is marked that it needs to be set as "recycled" ... once the service takes care of it then the file is deleted. So in essence, as long as the file is gone, things are working ok. The error is just saying that one of the times it tried to read or delete the file it was currently in use and it will try again later.

Re: Crash

mogulman
Ok.. so I just recycled one program this morning.  I wasn't doing anything else and got this error.

Maybe the file gets locked while it is being created?  Then the service tries to read it too soon?

Jeff

On 8/21/2012 9:59 AM, MJT Software [via Recorded TV HD Forum] wrote:
That file only exists when a file is marked that it needs to be set as "recycled" ... once the service takes care of it then the file is deleted. So in essence, as long as the file is gone, things are working ok. The error is just saying that one of the times it tried to read or delete the file it was currently in use and it will try again later.

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/Crash-tp5707055p5707092.html
To unsubscribe from Crash, click here.
NAML

Re: Crash

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Re: Crash

tradetek
As an update, my instance of RTVHD seems to be stable now that I have disabled the recycle bin except for my VIDEO_TS issues in another thread.
123