Correct artwork size/format?

jr1734
If I want to override the series artwork and add my own, what is the correct format and size for both the poster and the backdrop?  I am able to add my own artwork, but a lot of the time, the backdrop is distorted and/or grainy.

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

Backdrops should be either 1280x720 or 1920x1080. Posters should be 300x441 or a similar ratio.

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
MJT,

A quick question about backdrops --

I overrode the backdrop for a series, expecting that it would override the picture shown in Metro mode.  This did not occur.  Do the backdrops only apply to the themes with the large backgrounds?  How can we override the pictures shown in Metro mode?  Thanks.

MoRBiD

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

I forgot to account for the fact that people will be overriding the backdrop after the initial download for the metro theme. To get around this delete the original backdrop from here: "C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\Backdrops\thumbs\" and it will regenerate the thumbnail for the metro theme from your override after a few minutes.

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
MJT,

Because I previously combined two series, I found the image as two of the *MCSeries* within this folder:
C:\users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\Backdrops\thumbs

I deleted those and then a different image appeared but it wasn't my override image.  Instead, it started using one of the episode images that wasn't in the folder above.

I found that image in this folder:
C:\users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\Thumbs

I deleted that image from this folder.  This then changed the Metro image to my override image.  However, now one of my episodes doesn't have an image associated with it.

How can I refresh my episode image(s)... and will you be able to add this Metro-theme fix to an upcoming release?  Thank you, MJT.

MoRBiD

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
I didn't wait long enough before posting.  New artwork has now been "created" for the episode in question.

MoRBiD

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
MJT,

This folder appears to contain the images for the episodes:
C:\users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\Thumbs

When I deleted undesired images from this folder, some of them were replaced with better images.  Some of them were replaced with the identical undesired images (e.g., a commercial within the TV show, the TV show within the pre-padding, credits of the TV show, etc.).

Are the identical undesired images always captured from the same point from within the recording?  Is it possible to delete an undesired image and have RTVHD capture a new image from a different point within the same recording?

With episode images displaying more prominently within the Metro theme, I'm hoping to clean them up... now and as time goes on.  Thanks.

MoRBiD

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

This is how it works right now.

First it checks to see if TheTVDB.com has a thumbnail image for that episode. Then it will check to see if there is already one generated for that WTV file that the Recorded TV section of Media Center generates when it opens. Next it will look to see if there is a commercial skipping file. If there is it grabs a frame from about 30 seconds after the first commercial break. If there isn't a commercial skipping file it grabs a frame from 90 seconds after the start.

If you want you can insert your own thumbnails as long as you name them correctly and overwrite the auto generated ones.

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

Beaker1024
Sounds very comprehensive and makes sense.  My only request would be to have the last effort (now set to be 90sec within recording) to be a user defined duration after the start of the recording.

I believe MCE 7 defaults to 3 min before and 5 min after start/end of guide data for recording a program.  Which means left at default for everything (MCE) if RHDTV doesn't get a episode thumbnail otherwise (sources before making it itself) then it'll always be of the show (or commericals) before the actual shows episode.

If possible I would be fine with the user defined duration even being stuck in the outside of MCE RHDTV settings GUI application as it seems to be a set once for your overal global MCE usage habits.

Re: Correct artwork size/format?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
This makes sense why for shows like The Middle (ABC, Wed @ 8pm) that I have episode images of Jeopardy, commercials, etc.

Instead of the user manually defining the padding values, can this info be read from WMC?  In the GUI, it is specified in Tasks on the TV's Recorder's Recording Defaults screen as Start When Possible and Stop When Possible.

Reading these values plus 90 seconds would work.  But to avoid getting an episode image with credits on it, it might be better to add a value like 300 seconds.

When commercial skip is relied upon, it might be better to capture an image that is 90 seconds after the second commercial break in order to avoid capturing credits.

MoRBiD