Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
Hi,

I install the alpha beta after uninstalling other versions.  all installs okay but wont load in MCE?  Error thrown is "could not launch recorded TV HD" when the recorded TV button is pressed?

Any thoughts?

Need to upgrade from 1.7.3 release as it keeps crashing my system and freezing etc.

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
Update:

Also now unable to roll back to old version - throwing same error?

Nothing in event viewer offering any indication of any problem?

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

I suppose it is possible that there is an error with the instance installed in the global assembly cache. When Recorded TV HD is UNINSTALLED try going to "C:\Windows\assembly" and see if RecordedTVHD and or RecordedTVHDbackground are listed in there. If either are, right-click and uninstall them. Then try installing again. If they are not there, please let me know.

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
Hi MJT,

thank you for your reply.

I have uninstalled and checked these are there and they are not so no joy here sadly.

Perhaps if I did a full uninstall including registry keys etc.? but how to do this?

could DVRMS toolbox be meddling with things?

thanks in advance.

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

After installing, do you get an error about the Recorded TV HD Background addin as well? Or just when you start Recorded TV HD from the strip?

Try looking in the event viewer here: "Applications and services Logs -> Media Center" and see if there are any messages (may just say Information) when it fails to load. If it isn't there you can look under "Windows Logs -> Application" but I don't think it will be there.

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
Many thanks for your reply – still working to fix this now.

1) After installing, do you get an error about the Recorded TV HD Background addin as well? Or just when you start Recorded TV HD from the strip?
                A) no errors at all on installation – everything appears to install and uninstall just fine. I only get the error when I try to enter recordedTV HD however it should be noted that it is not appearing on the menu strip after installation in media centre.  I am able to get an error message by using keyboard short cuts to launce the recordedTV HD app or using the setting to map the remote button which then also throws the same error.

2) Try looking in the event viewer here: "Applications and services Logs -> Media Center" and see if there are any messages (may just say Information) when it fails to load. If it isn't there you can look under "Windows Logs -> Application" but I don't think it will be there.
            A) I have carefully been through both these sections and nothing here that indicates any issue.  Nothing unusual under information or other warning.

Would I be best uninstalling manually with Reg keys etc.?

Very odd why this suddenly happened?

I look forward to your thoughts and thank you again for your prompt help.

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
it also appears that when opening "media center studio" that there are no 'entry points' being created either - all very odd?

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

Are you able to properly install any other Media Center Addins? Please try installing the demo version of My Memories and see if that works properly. (It will add the entrypoint to the extra's library)

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
I have also noticed that after several errors in mce when pressing the remotes 'recorded TV button' it eventually stops all together, and starts opening normal recorded TV?

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
Yup downloaded this, installed it, all works fine and shows in extras menu - no issues with the demo of my memories at all?

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

Ok good. I was just making sure there wasn't some huge issue with Media Center. Please uninstall Recorded TV HD if you still have it installed. Then:
1. Delete the directory: "C:\Program Files\RecordedTVHD" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\RecordedTVHD" ) if it still exists.
2. Rename the directory: C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD to something else.
3. Install again.

Let me know.

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
Hi there,

many thanks but still no cigar sadly - followed your instructions directly but still exact same issue.

if you would like remote access to have a look this is fine with me.

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
did a reboot after you last instruction and then launched from start bar - seems to have kicked things into life! just restoring back up to get things back to normal - will let you know update in 5 minutes but I think we have progress! very pleased thank you :-)

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

MCE_DVB
Hi there, so my previous backup did not work but I have reconfigured and all seems to work great so far.  will know more tonight when we sit down to watch TV in normal circumstances etc.  one thing I cant seem to find is the setting to use comskip for commercial skipping - there was a tick box in the menus in previous versions? am I missing something?

Thank you again for all your support - great product.

Just FYI for other readers fix for me was

FIX = 2. Rename the directory: C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD to something else.

Re: Cant instal Alpha Beta

Are you talking about the Commercial Break Viewer on the bottom of the homepage? That option is on by default and is under the Appearance Options page. DVRMSToolbox does the actual skipping where it jumps you to the end of the break.