Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

12

Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
Hi,

I was wondering if I can add my TV Shows and Movies to the watched folders, and have them populate in the Media Centre. I added the folders, and everything went into unidentified folders, but it seems the Movies are slowly being recognised.

Cheers,

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
Now that the Movies are being detected, when I open the 'Movies' button, all I get is a blank WMC screen...

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

Odd. What version are you currently running? If you aren't running the latest beta / release candidate I suggest you install that. If you are still having problems please let me know.

Latest beta info and  download

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
Cheers. I have the latest version.

I have removed the Movies, and am just trying to get the TV Shows running. After selecting the drive (E:) for the first time - everything goes in to the Unidentified files list. Any file I add after this, seems to be detected and added properly!?

Cheers,

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
My files are named like this;
Game of Thrones - s01e10 - Fire and Blood.avi

If I 'fiddle' around with a file (rename it to one of the examples in your FAQ), and then back again - it seems to stick.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

Try giving it a little time (leave it for a few hours). I've seen some people say it takes a while before everything gets identified... not sure why though.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
Waited over night. Still no luck.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

Ok. It is possible the service got "bogged down" or "stuck" or something. Did you try either restarting the RecordedTVHDService? (rebooting your machine will do that too)

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
Restarted the PC. Service running. Still nothing moving from 'Unidentified files' to the 'Series Override' section.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

Do you or have you used Media Center Master or are there metadata xml files there for you tv episodes? I added integration to read Media Center Master files, but I've heard from some that it doesn't work and they had to delete the metadata files for the files to be identified.

If you do have them please zip them up (including the series.xml file if you can) and send them to me. Then delete them to see if they are identified in the next pass of the scanning.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
So, I went to;
F:\How I Met Your Mother\Season 8\
and changed;
  How I Met Your Mother - s08e03 - Nannies.mp4 to
  Battlestar Galactica - S01E004 - Nannies.mp4
It detected as 'Battlestar Galactica, Act of Contrition, Season 1 Episode 4'

I then changed it to
    How I Met Your Mother - S01E004 - Nannies.mp4
It detected as How I Met Your Mother, Return of the Shirt, Season 1 Episode 4'

Then back to the original
  How I Met Your Mother - s08e03 - Nannies.mp4
And it detects perfectly.

So why the need for this kick start?

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
All that resides in there is a dvdid.xml file which points to a YAMMM xml id file (used in YAMMM/Ceton Companion).

I'm confused as to why a file rename gets the program happily tracking the file, and any further name changes on it.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
I just did another test where I changed
   How I Met Your Mother - s08e01 - Farhampton
   How I Met Your Mother - s08e05 - Farhampton
and back again, and it has been detected.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

Ok. That file shouldn't be messing anything up. It is almost as though the automated full directory scans aren't running all the way through and are getting stuck. When you do a rename (separate tracking in service) it will identify it.

Looking back at your file name: "F:\How I Met Your Mother\Season 8\" ... I've seen people have problems when monitoring a drive letter instead of a directory inside. Can you create a directory such as "TV" and put all inside of that so it would be: "F:\TV\How I Met Your Mother\Season 8\" ... and then remove "F:\" from the watched directories and add "F:\TV\" and see if that fixes anything.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
As soon as I moved it into F:\TV, it started working - even though my watched directory is set at F:\ still. Even more interesting, is the file name does NOT indicate that it is residing in a parent folder named 'TV'.

When I move back, it starts detecting them again - except this time within the 'TV' subdirectory. Even though they have just been moved.

Restarting the service, and all detected series disappear. No matter what directory they reside in.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

Please have it watch the F:\TV directory and remove the F:\ entry and per me know if that works or not.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
Done.

As noted before; it is now detecting files as if they were in F:\Season Name. Not F:\TV\Season Name. Checking WMC8 - it says the file does not exist (as the pathname is wrong).

Restarting the service clears all 'found' entries. But adds nothing from the F:\TV subdirectory.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

Are there any events in the event viewer?

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

mriksman
Hmmmm. Maybe it was because SQL had been uninstalled?

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at RecordedTVHDService.TVXML.WriteTVToDatabase()
   at RecordedTVHDService.Service1.CheckFileAndAddMetadata(String FilePath, SQLiteConnection sql_con)

I have a version of SQLlite installed now, did a reinstall and still the same error/information in Event Viewer, and still no TV Shows.

At this stage, I have found a working copy of Media Browser, and will keep RecordedTVHD to managed recorded shows only.

Thanks.

Re: Can this be used as a Media Browser substitute?

The only way that code would be called is if there are metadata xml files there. They may be hidden though so make sure you show hidden files and folders and then delete the "metadata" folders out from inside your season folders and see if they start showing up.  Let me know. That helps me figure out the problem though. Thanks.
12